Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I'll chime in... 21/300ish is disappointing given the lofty expectations, but I'd rather have two of those with a 'transformational' (or at least better than a surface parking lot) street-level retail component than one 40/600ish tower at this point. Charlotte has an amazing skyline for a city of our size, but we are still way behind many of our peers (and most cities we aspire to be more like) in street-level presence and urban livability.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cltcane said:

I'll chime in... 21/300ish is disappointing given the lofty expectations, but I'd rather have two of those with a 'transformational' (or at least better than a surface parking lot) street-level retail component than one 40/600ish tower at this point. Charlotte has an amazing skyline for a city of our size, but we are still way behind many of our peers (and most cities we aspire to be more like) in street-level presence and urban livability.

We need a mall downtown. Charlotte is doing a good job with street level retail, but you have to walk so far to go from one store to the other and very few clothing stores. Maybe get Simon to invest in a parcel uptown. That's the biggest thing that is driving everybody i meet from NYC or Boston nuts. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kermit said:

15 hours ago, mpretori said:

We need a mall downtown. Charlotte is doing a good job with street level retail, but you have to walk so far to go from one store to the other and very few clothing stores. Maybe get Simon to invest in a parcel uptown. That's the biggest thing that is driving everybody i meet from NYC or Boston nuts. 

There's got to be room for a Steinmart somewhere uptown?

I've heard about 1.5 years worth of rumors about him being attached to LH at Observer. The question is... do I believe those rumors. Guess we will find out December 30th.

Well here is my guess for the Tryon Place tower now that Bank of America /Merrill Lynch may take space in the Lincoln Harris tower as rumored  (which makes sense to have their name on a tower towering over their aptly named stadium)  I think Tryon Place maybe anchored by either Duke or US Bank. US Bank occupies about 200K sq ft.in Hearst Plaza and 201 South Tryon. Throwing their name up on a tower helps them compete for new hires.  Duke is another logical choice given their past relationship with Crescent and the fact they are growing.  As I said I am excited to see something happen here even it is in the low 20s in floor count given the 19 story 615 South College being right at 277 looks very tall from the highway. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 1:50 PM, KJHburg said:

Well here is my guess for the Tryon Place tower now that Bank of America /Merrill Lynch may take space in the Lincoln Harris tower as rumored  (which makes sense to have their name on a tower towering over their aptly named stadium)  I think Tryon Place maybe anchored by either Duke or US Bank. US Bank occupies about 200K sq ft.in Hearst Plaza and 201 South Tryon. Throwing their name up on a tower helps them compete for new hires.  Duke is another logical choice given their past relationship with Crescent and the fact they are growing.  As I said I am excited to see something happen here even it is in the low 20s in floor count given the 19 story 615 South College being right at 277 looks very tall from the highway. 

Looks like US Bank is adding another Charlotte executive.  I know it is just speculation about it would be great for US Bank to throw their name on Tryon Place.  Per article, US Bank has over 600 employees in Charlotte, so they definitely have the headcount to do something like this, and the hiring of another Charlotte executive is another indication that they might lean on the experienced financial services workforce in Charlotte. Heck, why stop at Tryon Place? 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/bank-watch-blog/article125005224.html

• Like 3

I think US Bank should anchor a tower and this is the one most likely as it sounds like Bank of America or Merrill Lynch might be the anchor for Lincoln Harris's project. US Bank would be able to recruit better I think and grow with more  with visible presence. 620 employees is incredible for a state where they don't have a single branch bank office. 

• Like 4

Back tô Tryon place.

its downsized. Hopefully the ground floor will be a nice pedestrian experience along with Stonewall station and Lincoln Harris. So Stonewall will be an active street minus the Westin.

Is Tryon Place a go or is there a possibility this one might not make it off the ground? Didn't think years ago this would be built after 300, Portman and now maybe Lincoln Harris. Geez

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

34 minutes ago, JBS said:

Agreed, but it's preferable to a lousy project.  I'll gladly take something nice in 7 years over something crappy for the next 50+.

I get that. But at this point, I'm not so sure that I won't like Tryon Place better than LH. The latter has established a low-bar for me.

• Like 1