Charlotte Arts Master Plan

cityboi

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a very sleek, modern and intimate space. Its nice to have one of those inbetween size places. I assume u were there for the Jewel concert, how were the acoustics if this is the case.

Edit: Oops you already answered that, I didn't see it scrolling through the pictures. I'm glad everything was great!

Aw no worries^^ yeah sorry I put it after the first photo so it is hard to tell - yes the acoustics are great as is Jewel, and her opening act Meiko. Parking was a beotch though, parking under the green - getting out of there... i guess to be expected but next time I'll be smarter about parking.

Inside the Knight Theater

I really enjoy this pics and am lookiing forward to seeing my first show there in January. The space to me is bold in it's minimal decor which signals that the art is the performance. It's something I think Charlotte needed: less glam and more substance.

Looking at the scale of this thing, I hope that it can bring the same kind of interaction as "The Bean" in Chicago.

firebird1101.ART_G1BSRN7N.1+firebird1101_2_01.JPG.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

IMO, "The Bean" is a great piece of art, not only because of it's craftsmanship, but because it build community - makes people get out and walk and explore and interact.

In case you are unfamiliar with "The Bean":

bean3.jpg

A few thoughts about a midday excursion around the arts complex-

First, Firebird is smaller than I was envisioning after seeing all of the photos. I reckon that's alright, but we'll know for sure after the tent is removed on Tuesday. Comparison to the Bean in Chicago seems a little disingenuous because their scales are so completely different: The Bean holds its own as an individual peice, Firebird is just one element of the plaza.

The Mint continues to come together, and I grow to like it more and more. Ten trees have been planted in the front plaza, and I realized that the architects have been very thoughtful about understanding the pedestrian experience around the Mint. Consider the approach from up and down Tryon: the way the front bends inward to the vertical strip of glass pulls you in. The trees are, I think, and indication that the museum knows that looking at it head-on is not the point.

One thing I noticed today was the rather wide alleyway between the DEC and the Mint. As the construction site is cleaned up, it has become more obvious. I'm not really sure what to make of it, except as a pedestrian cut-through.

Finally, I've already voiced my thoughts on the Gantt earlier in this thread, but there is a new addition at the corner of Tryon and Stonewall worth mentioning. A flat bench/sculpture/thing has a 'map' of center city with the historically black neighborhoods labeled, from Blandville to Cherry to Greenville and the Wards. I use map loosely, because there are significant artistic liberties with the geography. I do like it as a corner piece, though, and it provides a nice place to sit.

The "Firebird" sculpture was installed yesterday. I LOVE it! It's very flashy, literally, when the sun hits it bright reflections off its mirror surface spread everywhere. I have not been back since yesterday, but I think it will be covered up until the grand opening in January.

I really like this piece. I've been looking forward to the installment ever since it was announced. They printed pix of it back when it was purchased, so I've had a long time to get used to it I guess, but I liked it the first time I saw it. Charlotte needs more of this...not less.

How long before it gets broken due to skateboarders? Anyone want to take bets?

Hopefully that doesn't happen. The museum could put up a fence around the sculpture, but that would defeat the purpose of placing it on the sidewalk where people can walk up to it. I would hope skateboarders would have enough respect to stay away from this thing, but I guess time will tell.

I really like everything about Disco Bird now that I have seen it in person. The scale, the material, and apparant craftsmanship, as well as the subtle lighting at night. I walked and drove past it several times today and this evening, and saw people staring and taking pictures on all occassions. It is gaudy, but in a Parisian sort of way, where you find wacky installations set against conserative streetscapes.

I think this piece of art above anything currently existing will become a local favorite to show visitors, and probably become one of the most photographed things in Charlotte by tourists. (Until my giant piggybank statue is realized that is :) )

Now, the Mint needs a statue at the top of the great front stairs (a la Rocky in Philly)

The AACC looks great during the day, but not so good at night. Hopefully they will improve the lighting scheme, though the "mural" is backlit and looks great.

Now, we just need the surface lot between the church and AACC to be developed with a well designed high-rise, and that little corner of Charlotte will truly be something special.

I walked by last night when workmen were fixing the uplighting. There were already about 20 people standing around looking at it and touching it and taking photos in front of it. I think this will be an iconic spot. It is certainly noticeable and memorable.

Also, I see that they've delivered glass and have scaffolding up to put that glass up on the Church St side of the Mint building. Looks like they will keep the condo's facade on that side, even though the condo isn't going up.

Now, we just need the surface lot between the church and AACC to be developed with a well designed high-rise, and that little corner of Charlotte will truly be something special.

I'm thinking a nice mixed-use midrise with shops and a large two floor bookstore similar to Powell's.

I made an effort to drive by the new NC Dance Theater on N. Tryon & 10th yesterday. I must say - WOW! - for a place so rarely discussed on this forum, it's very cool building! I wish I had a camera - this place looks almost complete. I know that there was a post a while back about this with a picture, but if you haven't seen the rendering, here it is. It looks every bit as good in real life.

http://www.ncdance.org/NewsFacility.asp

I made an effort to drive by the new NC Dance Theater on N. Tryon & 10th yesterday. I must say - WOW! - for a place so rarely discussed on this forum, it's very cool building! I wish I had a camera - this place looks almost complete. I know that there was a post a while back about this with a picture, but if you haven't seen the rendering, here it is. It looks every bit as good in real life.

http://www.ncdance.o...ewsFacility.asp

Related to this facility...I walked down there last Sunday afternoon because I'd never seen it. The parking lot across the street must have had 30 to 40 homeless people just hanging out. It was clear many of them are staying on the property. I was lucky enough to witness one guy relieving himself in a bush, but in full view of Tryon St. and anyone who happened to be passing by. The police need to clean this up...

Related to this facility...I walked down there last Sunday afternoon because I'd never seen it. The parking lot across the street must have had 30 to 40 homeless people just hanging out. It was clear many of them are staying on the property. I was lucky enough to witness one guy relieving himself in a bush, but in full view of Tryon St. and anyone who happened to be passing by. The police need to clean this up...

I believe what you witnessed was the feeding of the homeless, something that happens every Sunday by a church group. I know they forgot to bring the portapotties, but it is not "clear many of them are stayong the property".

Archived