Name that restaurant /other locale

BreakfastPills

I give up, nhughes. Maybe BP or CommRe has the answer.

Years ago, a Trader Vic-type place opened way out on Broad, and it was the first restaurant in town to serve Poo Poo trays, tall drinks with umbrellas and South Seas style entrees. I don't recall its name, but believe the building is still there on the south side of Broad between Libbie and Horsepen.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By southside I mean on Midlothian Tnpk near Chesterfield Towne Center. Typically, many restaurants or retailers have a west end location and a south side location. Nhuhghes mentioned Polynesian, and that was the only Polynesian restaurant I'm familiar with that closed a few years ago.

And Lebanese food is great... I highly recommend the annual Lebanese Food Festival.

Do you mean southside of Broad, or SOUTHSIDE? I believe that's the one, Coupe -- but if memory serves it was called something else before WAIKIKI.

There also used to be a fun Lebanese place in that area that served authentic mideastern food, had belly dancers, and the customers would get up and line dance all thru the restaurant. And it was in HENRICO, nhughes!!!

I don't remember the Mideastern restaurant's name, but it is still there -- brick building with a sort of curved front comes to mind - and it was east of Staples Mill, I think, across from Colonial Downs OTB.

I'm talking the 1970's. My friends and I would go often and have a blast!

So as to keep from dragging this out.... the restaurant that I am referring to is "The Grass Hut" in Innsbrook. "China Pearl" took its place, and I don't know the name of the sushi restaurant that is opening soon.

Does anyone remember it? I recently ran into the owner and was talking to him about the restaurant. It just got me reminiscing about my meals there.

I remember it, but never ate their. This Innsbrook strip male changes faster than Oprah's weight. Sorry, that was a cheap shot, but seriously, what happened to Damon's? The Shady Grove YMCA used to even be there. Also, the Innsbrook library is being moved to Twin Hickory.

Oops, back on topic...

Name a fan "speakeasy" famous for its back room.

I remember it, but never ate their. This Innsbrook strip male changes faster than Oprah's weight. Sorry, that was a cheap shot, but seriously, what happened to Damon's? The Shady Grove YMCA used to even be there. Also, the Innsbrook library is being moved to Twin Hickory.

Oops, back on topic...

Name a fan "speakeasy" famous for its back room.

NEW QUIZ

Okay, I've been meaning to post this one for a while.

s1508200_32746206_3593.jpg

Here is a picture of this restaurant's namesake dish.

HINT 1: The important thing to notice is that the dish is in the shape of a FLOWER.

HINT 2: Traditional Japanese cuisine

New Question (not a quiz):

Who is your favorite food critic in Richmond?

My all-time favorite was a guy who wrote under the name of Davis Morton, but I don't believe he critiques anymore.

Of present writers, Dana Craig of The Times Dispatch has it hands down, IMO.

Joseph Cates at Style Weekly is my second choice.

Archived