>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

Hey, so the State Film Commission is proposing renting the Armory out to a movie production again, which might mean moving the Fire Marshall out. They are asking for $20,000 rent for the building from Feb-June. I guess they are deciding in the next week if the building is going to stay as state offices or be used for film production.

Thoughts?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noticed in the Board of Licenses meeting tmw that there is a license transfer request to transfer the alcohol license from the Green Bar to the "Westminster Public House". New ownership group, but could be the same owners. Still, maybe they will fix it up...

Hmm, maybe someone from the neighborhood wants to check out the inside and report back to us? I saw that the building was for sale a few months ago, let's just say the wife was less than enthused when I mentioned buying it!

Well if it turns out to be a cool watering hole, that would be great since I can walk there in 5 min....

Hmm, maybe someone from the neighborhood wants to check out the inside and report back to us? I saw that the building was for sale a few months ago, let's just say the wife was less than enthused when I mentioned buying it!

Well if it turns out to be a cool watering hole, that would be great since I can walk there in 5 min....

I gots a question for old timers!

I'm excited to be going to an all ages matinee in a couple months at Club Hell. The first punk show I ever went to was a saturday matinee at the Rocket, so being back at 73 Richmond for an afternoon show sounds like a lot of fun. I was trying to remember the various incarnations of this space:

Club Hell

A short lived disco place (maybe 80's themed?) What was it called?

Club Babyhead

The Rocket

The Vault (Am I right on this one? The Vault pre-dates me...)

Anything else?

• 3 weeks later...

The Sweet Miss Jill's signs are down, and there is a big "For Sale/For Rent" sign in the window. Again.

Wonder what happened...

The former Daily Bread will become Sweet Miss Jill's, a gluten-free eatery serving coffee, pastries, pizza, desserts and wine. According to the bldg. permit, the work is all interior; no exterior work will be done (which is too bad because the facade is looking a bit tired). Should be a nice addition to the street.

So there has been much activity in Shaws/PriceRite early AMs.. I know this because the AM commute is the same time as local construction guys, and instead of fighting them for FREE parking @ Tort Fruit, they now drive slowly around Eagle Square.. This is a inconvenience I will deal with with open arms..

So soon, there will be an anchor there again.. I can't see how PriceRite will be less busy than Shaws.. Granted, maybe some Fed Hill Young Professionals wont shop there, but I bet my O'ville peeps will.. So slightly different clientele, more in line with the current state services needed.. I say temporary good fit..

Temporary? Your going to have PriceRite bags blowing into your front yard for the next 10 to 15 years. I would rather see the big box sit empty for 18 months until a great fit comes along. Wegmans, Roche Bros, Albertsons or maybe even (*with fading hope*) a brewery.

Probably not; their bags are sold at the checkout for a small fee and many shoppers recycle them.

I don't see how one of these "superior food-shopping experience" -type stores would be profitable in Olneyville/Valley if Shaw's was not. PriceRite has a good business model and looks to be well-positioned considering projected grocery prices and the sluggish economy.

As Jim said Shaws was profitable but their new parent company did not like operating in the urban core. Something about not wanting to stock specialty items.

There are plenty of people in the O-ville/Valley area who can afford PriceRite, Shaws and even Whole Foods. My Dominican nieghbors call PriceRite the Gehtto Mart. Go figure.

Archived