Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

Well, considering the location, its not a major loss, but it's just one more sign of the City's attitude towards historic buildings that don't face Main St. This particular one was relatively unremarkable, and in terms of its location, it was the last building on its side of the block to go.

My more major concern is that the City in general is not looking more towards shared parking opportunities. For example, I know that the Magnolia St deck is never full during the day, or for that matter the Courthouse parking lot directly across from QS/1.

Horrible corporate citizen. Where was the City?

You mean QS/1? The company that brought hundreds of jobs downtown, built the pocket park at North Church and East St. Johns, main sponor of Jazz on the Square, redeveloped Ezell Street with the city. I love saving old buildings, but not sure about the charm and character of that building....there are so many other empty buildings downtown. Just saying that QS/1 has done a lot for Spartanburg!

You mean QS/1? The company that brought hundreds of jobs downtown, built the pocket park at North Church and East St. Johns, main sponor of Jazz on the Square, redeveloped Ezell Street with the city. I love saving old buildings, but not sure about the charm and character of that building....there are so many other empty buildings downtown. Just saying that QS/1 has done a lot for Spartanburg!

Good points. QS1 has been a TERRIFIC corporate citizen one which I think will someday make an even larger impact on downtown.

True. They could have easily located in one of the many suburban locations available in this city, but they chose a downtown location. One thing that occurs to me is that I've heard in the past, from good sources, that QS/1 regretted not building higher. In my opinion when the economy picks up they could be a good candidate for expansion. Perhaps not vertically, but perhaps on one of those parking lots they are building...

• 2 weeks later...

The Hub City Railroad Museum will have its grand opening Saturday, May 1. This is located at the Magnolia Street Train Depot (298 Magnolia St). They'll evidently be having trolley rides around town discussing the city's railroad history.

This sounds pretty cool. I noticed a sign for this last weekend, and just got an email about it from the Spartanburg Convention & Visitor's Bureau.

Spartanburg CVB article

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I was browsing the city's website and saw this on its New Developments page:

http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/index.cfm?PageID=80&ParentPageID=78

"Stewart Park Activity Center {sodEmoji.|} Plans for an Activity Center started with a vision to improve conditions in the Highland neighborhood area in Spartanburg. The City has partnered with the Mary Black Foundation and the Highland's community on the</SPAN> $2.7 million project. The Activity Center will be a facility designed with meeting rooms, computer labs, and a kitchen. Staff will be hired to maintain the facility and shuttle buses will be available for transportation to other area Recreation Centers. The design phase of the project will take four months with construction to begin in 2010."

I'm not sure where the Highland neighborhood is, but Highland Ave. lies a bit north of the Beacon, intersecting W. Henry St. between Forest St. and John B. White Blvd. It probably once connected with W. Main on the north end, but now ends in a cul-de-sac.

• 2 weeks later...

While walking down Main Street yesterday, i noticed some men inside the Kiddie Korner building with measuring tapes and architectual sketches. It could be nothing, but I would love to see a restaurant or shop move on into that building. Has anyone heard anything?

The backside where Meridian Bank used to be is still one of the possible landing places for Taco Boy as they are still interested in Spartanburg.

Saw a car parked outside the former Rock Water Tavern (nee Spice of Life) recently around lunch time and stopped to see if they were open. They weren't, but the new owners were nice enough to give me a tour. They plan on re-opening as a sports bar with food, late nite DJ and occasional live music. They will keep the name Rock Water Tavern and plan on being open 11am -2 am Monday thru Saturday. My guess is they will open sometime this summer or when the colleges start back early Fall.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the vote of confidence roads.rolleyes.gif

Here is the website for Rome. I got a bad feeling about this one coming downtown.

http://romespartanburg.com/

I recently spent a day in town and took a look through the windows of this place. WOW. Now, I certainly do not consider myself as someone who knows what works in a club, but this spot will not last like this. A Roman theme is interesting, but this looked over done and cheesy. I immediately thought of a campy, cheesy road-side wedding chapel in Vegas that sees itself as upscale. I couldn't help but chuckle. Once the novelty of this place wears off the attendance will seriously drop.

Took a look at the website too. I agree with the dress code (they could have just as easily said "no thug wear") except for "no plain shirts". What!?! So if someone shows up with designer jeans and nice shoes and a black v-neck tee he will be turned away? Guess they want everyone wearing the same gaudy Ed Hardy shirt.

A shame really because I feel Spartanburg could really use a nice club downtown.

I overheard from some downtown folk that the guy that owns this place has spent 500K of his own money to upgrade it and is looking to one of the local banks for a loan to do more. As I mentioned earlier, at least the place will be in pretty good shape for whatever comes next.

Wow. That's a heck of an investment, and some harsh rules. Maybe a little too pretentious for Spartanburg. Despite what his website says, there are places like this in Charlotte (VIP booths, dress code, etc- though not with a Roman theme). I avoid them like the plague. That's just me though. I hope this thing will last, or at least boost the nightlife in Spartanburg.

I hope this thing will last, or at least boost the nightlife in Spartanburg.

I went out in downtown Spartanburg a few weeks ago. I was solidly impressed by the number of people out and about at 11pm. More storefronts lit up or being open would help with the distance between some of the bars. But, the distance between the bars got people out and on the sidewalks and offered a general sense of safety. Carry on, Sparkle City! :thumbsup:

Wow. That's a heck of an investment, and some harsh rules. Maybe a little too pretentious for Spartanburg. Despite what his website says, there are places like this in Charlotte (VIP booths, dress code, etc- though not with a Roman theme). I avoid them like the plague. That's just me though. I hope this thing will last, or at least boost the nightlife in Spartanburg.

I also heard the VIP rooms are gonna go for $250. Good luck with that one!