Downtown Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 2 months later...

That's good on both sides. I've seen plenty of pedestrians who cross in the middle of the road, as well as cars that right turn on green without yielding to pedestrians. The City is also doing a good job adding more crosswalk signals. They can still do more, though. I'd like to see more landscaped medians and pedestrian refuges on the larger roads.

• 1 month later...

This articlein the HJ has the following quote:

“Interest is piqued in buildings and developments downtown, not just for retail, but for residential projects as well,” said Patty Bock, economic development director for the city of Spartanburg. “There are a lot of good ideas for service and retail businesses out there right now. I'm very optimistic about downtown.”

Does anyone know about anything else besides the restaurants mentioned in the article and the possible rehab of the Montgomery Building for student housing?

• 2 weeks later...

Right outside of downtown on the corner of West Main & John B. White there is going to be a Quick Trip (QT). Its going where the old Joe Gibson car dealership used to be. I am not crazy about this but at least it takes another empty building off the market. Who knows though it could be a boon for that area.

QT

A few more wayfinding signs have been installed recently. Here's a couple.

post-24605-0-61397700-1307396974_thumb.j post-24605-0-27634300-1307396982_thumb.j post-24605-0-35474800-1307396990_thumb.j

They're on S Daniel Morgan Ave. near Carlisle Street (before Henry), Church Street in front of the Library, and Church Street near the Marriott.

Several new traffic light mast-arms are being installed as well.

post-24605-0-86465100-1307397000_thumb.j

This one is on the corner of Church and Kennedy. From what I saw, there also looked to be ones being installed on Church at St. John and Dunbar (maybe Henry), Broad at Spring, and a few others I can't remember. They should all have pedestrian signals, and be in more convenient locations to press the crosswalk button.

Edited by westsider28

Has anyone seen the awful, awful clock set lying on a hill in the groundon of Church and St.John? I saw this under construction Saturday morning on the way to the market and then the finished product this afternoon.

Whose bright idea was this? Not only is it ungly but right now it is running 5-7 minutes slow.

Has anyone seen the awful, awful clock set lying on a hill in the groundon of Church and St.John? I saw this under construction Saturday morning on the way to the market and then the finished product this afternoon.

Whose bright idea was this? Not only is it ungly but right now it is running 5-7 minutes slow.

When I saw it, Sparkleman, it was Saturday morning when workers were doing the landscaping. I thought at the time it looked pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a column in the Herald-Journal today from a downtown business owner who confirms what people have said on these forums before about downtown building owners asking exorbitant rents or just letting the building sit and deteriorate for a tax write-off. I like the idea of the city forcing them to renovate the building and rent it at a reasonable rate (is that possible/legal?), but don't like the other option mentioned of demolishing the building and selling the property. I think we know what the building owners would choose, and it would NOT be the desired outcome. Anyway, it's a good read.

"Spartanburg: Downtown or dead town? You decide"

That was a great article. I think it speaks volumes as to what is really going on in downtown. I also moved your post here, since I think it's relevant to this topic.

I don't think her remedies are entirely legal, but they are headed in the right direction. I also wouldn't want people to tear down the historic structures. What they could do, however, is increase taxes within downtown on vacant, historic buildings in order to encourage occupancy.

The thing I don't understand is why people would rather let a building sit empty and pay taxes on it when you could rent it and EARN MONEY off of it. There's at least 10-15 years worth of rent money that could have been made.

There is a forum tonight at the Library to discuss the possibility of a dog park in the vacant lot adjacent to the Herald-Journal building. This is the location of the former "Broad Street Connector."

First, let me say I'm a huge fan of dog parks. However, this location is prime real estate. Combined with the acreage of the HJ Parking lot, it could be a great place for a nice 4-5 storey building. Once a park goes in, it's virtually impossible to do anything else with the land.

HJ Article

The article in the HJ had comments from people with a variety of perspectives, but several of them had the same concerns I did... build it, bust just not on Main Street. I hope that is the consensus. Honestly, building it closer to Hampton Heights would be ideal, since the lots there are smaller, dogs have less room to run around freely in people's yards. The way most cities do it is to install them in existing parks. And for pete's sake don't use vinyl fencing. That stuff is cheap and will fall apart after a few years. Just invest in wrought iron and it won't be an issue ever again.

• 1 month later...

QT has a contract on the corner of Pine St. and St. John St. for a new C store and fuel center. I hope that planning will not allow this development to happen. I think it will be an absoulote eyesoar for such an important site on two major streets. I am hopefull that the 4 motels near this interchange could be demolished in the near future and we could see some quality development, but a QT is not what we need there.

Edited by spartanburgh

Yikes. I sure hope QT doesn't build there. I assume you're talking about the lot behind the fountain at that corner, as the other 3 corners are Converse, Chamber of Commerce, and the Peddler. I know that lot's been empty for a while after an old car wash there was torn down.

I just checked, and that lot is included under the regulations of the new Urban Code (DT-5). QT would need a special exemption to build there. Hopefully the City won't grant it.

I went by the site on the Pine and St. John St. corner today and sure enough, QT has an ABC application on file for the site. Planning should either reject this development or throw the new master plan out the window.

I realize my opinion probably differs significantly from everyone else on this forum but perhaps the new QT could be constructed to be compatible with the code. Also, if constructed, would it not improve the appearance of this lot and the surrounding area? Finally, what other business is compatible with this location?

Before blasting me keep in mind my knowledge of urban codes and urban planning is limited.

The lot is DT-5 designation in the Urban Code (PDF link). The way I read it, a gas station needs a special exemption before it would be allowed at all, but if allowed, it would not be subject to the Urban Code requirements.

Personally, I think that an office or apartment building would be better suited for this lot. Check a map; being at the corner of two heavily-traveled roads (and Pine Street having a landscaped median) the lot CANNOT handle the constant traffic in-and-out that would accompany a gas station.

Plus, there are enough gas stations in the vicinity, and QT is already building a massive location at West Main & John B White.