3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

1 minute ago, Prodev said:

Doesn't look like they're doing much besides adding decals. The actual retail space is already there. I guess it's better than nothing, but I'm not really a fan. 

Eh I'll be honest it's more than I expected. This garage is mostly a POS and I just never imagined Spectrum doing a complete redo of the entire thing. 

Theyre just doing the retail right and improving the ground floor. The decals are nothing special but it's honestly a nice coat of makeup given the circumstances. 

• Like 1

Sadly, the Laz "AUTOPARK" parking deck at 4th and Church likely can't get this kind of upgrade. The ground level is several feet below street grade, so practically speaking there's no way to build in retail. The caddy-corner deck - the 2 story one that may be the oldest in the city - is condo owned, so it could take years to make anything happen to it. Anyone who wants to redevelop it would have to buy back every individual owned space.

First Citizens Deck, on the other hand, could well see a nice upgrade. They already have a mini-FCB branch and dry cleaner at the ground floor, and I think some changes to their vehicular circulation could open up a lot more street frontage to small retail spots, even at the corner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Sadly, the Laz "AUTOPARK" parking deck at 4th and Church likely can't get this kind of upgrade. The ground level is several feet below street grade, so practically speaking there's no way to build in retail. The caddy-corner deck - the 2 story one that may be the oldest in the city - is condo owned, so it could take years to make anything happen to it. Anyone who wants to redevelop it would have to buy back every individual owned space.

First Citizens Deck, on the other hand, could well see a nice upgrade. They already have a mini-FCB branch and dry cleaner at the ground floor, and I think some changes to their vehicular circulation could open up a lot more street frontage to small retail spots, even at the corner.

http://www.charlottefive.com/one-random-idea-to-bring-more-retail-to-uptown-charlotte/

I think its possible. But what do Iknow.

59 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Isn't there supposed to be a new restaurant on 3d b/n Tryon and Church?  That is well below grade in the renderings.  As for FCB, if they could pull off a miracle on that corner, it would really connect the "dots" as far as that stretch of sidewalk is concerned.  The ingress/egress from the Shomar's deck takes up a lot of real estate and the FCB mini-branch has a horrible aesthetic.  This part of Church needs a ton of love, and construction problems do not appear any more daunting than any other adaptive reuse project around town.  So, hopefully . . . nvm; not even going to speak it.  After this is done, the section between 5th and Trade gets attention next.

Edited by alb1no panther

1 minute ago, alb1no panther said:

Isn't there supposed to be a new restaurant on 3d b/n Tryon and Church?  That is well below grade in the renderings.  As for FCB, if they could pull off a miracle on that corner, it would really connect the "dots" as far as that stretch of sidewalk is concerned.  The ingress/egress from the Shomar's deck takes up a lot of real estate and the FCB mini-branch has a horrible aesthetic.  This part of Church needs a ton of love, and it doesn't seem like construction problems do not appear any more daunting than any other adaptive reuse project around town.  After this is done, hopefully the section between 5th and Trade gets attention next.

We (230 S Tryon owners) were told the deck at 3rd and church, which is owned by Spectrum, is in for major updates once 300 S Tryon is closer to completion. But they are being coy about what changes are planned (or they don't know themselves). As an aside, I wrote them an email asking them to consider some charging station options but of course received no response. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

We (230 S Tryon owners) were told the deck at 3rd and church, which is owned by Spectrum, is in for major updates once 300 S Tryon is closer to completion. But they are being coy about what changes are planned (or they don't know themselves). As an aside, I wrote them an email asking them to consider some charging station options but of course received no response. 

I'd temper expectations lol.

How do you guys not have charging stations in that deck?  That's unacceptable on so many levels.  Isn't there like a Go Green Charlotte lobby in town?  They should be all over this.  Their whole thing is infrastructure automation and lowering energy consumption, yet they can't get more charging stations around town.

Edited by alb1no panther
  • Like 1

It looks as though there are different colored LEDs on each level. I wonder if they will be independently color changing or just single color LED's in the colors pictured. Either way that's a nice improvement on its own for the area around the park. It's amazing what a little light can do.

While this isn't the "green" wrap pictured elsewhere on UP in the past, it's much better than nothing.

2 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

I'd temper expectations lol.

How do you guys not have charging stations in that deck?  That's unacceptable on so many levels.  Isn't there like a Go Green Charlotte lobby in town?  They should be all over this.  Their whole thing is infrastructure automation and lowering energy consumption, yet they can't get more charging stations around town.

You got me but I could always look at it as saving me 100K I guess. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/04/owner-of-charlotte-real-estate-investment-firm.html

This is insane. Remember "Chupitos"? Apparently the guy was a total scam artist and is going to jail. RDF called this day 1.

That guy had the hallmarks of a pyramid scheme written all over him. Good Riddance, Chupitos sounded like it belonged in 1997 nightlife. 

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

It's a protected landmark right?

It's on the National Register of Historic Places. I don't know if that protects it or not though.

I don't have any details unfortunately. One of my clients does stone floor repair in Charlotte and he had a lead come in this morning from someone saying his client had just bought Latta Arcade and needed some work done.

4 minutes ago, Niner National said:

It's on the National Register of Historic Places. I don't know if that protects it or not though.

That designation by itself doesn't protect it, but it is also listed by the Char-Meck Historic Landmarks Commission. That means any changes must be reviewed by that body.

On 11/7/2016 at 8:33 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That guy had the hallmarks of a pyramid scheme written all over him. Good Riddance, Chupitos sounded like it belonged in 1997 nightlife. 

What is crazy is that according to the article he sold the building was sold for 100k more than he bought it for. Maybe he kind of did know what he was doing haha.