3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

From this older rendering, the deck is only to get the a top floor put in, so those walls are the heighest they will be. From the siteplan, it will come closer to 1st, but that is the ramp, so I guess they left it out of prefabbed structure for the level floors.

Ok now with the visual from this, the deck is starting to make sense. I just could not see how this fitted in but now I do. Thanks.

It is difficult to explain, but that is an interior facade we are looking at. There will be another section built between that and the street as you can sort of see from the aerial shot in post 749. We'll see, but I'm thinking we'll all be disappointed by the facade that ends up.

It is difficult to explain, but that is an interior facade we are looking at. There will be another section built between that and the street as you can sort of see from the aerial shot in post 749. We'll see, but I'm thinking we'll all be disappointed by the facade that ends up.

That's too bad because I actually like the vertical "bars" that they have done with the prefab. Looks a lot more interesting than the standard horizontal rows we're used to seeing. But, this is Novare, so we can at least have a little hope they'll do something to make this a little nicer than just a concrete facade.

It's too bad they didn't foresee any reason to put a lot of retail at the base of this project. Seems like the other projects in this complex would help support any outlets in this deck. I mean, the residents and workers would HAVE to walk past them on their way to and from their cars.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I guess I just forgot about those plans and went by what I could see so far.

Edited by aussie luke

This happened a couple weeks ago, but I heard about it for the first time in this e-mail I just got at work:

"

Just before lunch today (4/23/08), I was walking back from the Energy Center toward the South Tryon Building when I observed a safety incident. I had just crossed 1st street, when I noticed something falling from the sky. The object was an aluminum i-beam (6'

Yeah, haste makes waste fer sure. One day, at lunch, I was walking by their Avenure project when I heard a noise above me. I looked up in time to see a 4 x 8 piece of plywood flying off the 15, or so, floor. It glided over to the Ivey building and smashed into somebody's window. Then it bounced back out bringing with it a cascade of glass. Three guys walking in front of me ran ahead quickly while I stayed back. Within a few seconds there was a giant crash of the plywood (with nails sticking out of it), followed by the crash of a thousand pieces of glass on the sidewalk in front of me. If you remember, there was no pedestrian cover on the side walk on the other side of the project.

I assume someone was notified about that one as a city worker drove up 5th with the yellow lights flashing. He stopped traffice because of all the glass in the street. It's a good thing nobody was sitting by the window up in the Ivey's building, and that we were able to stay out of the way below. Can you imagine?

This stuff happens all the time (not every day but often enough), especially when you get to the higher floors and the increased wind factor starts to take effect. A nice burst of wind can lift up some pretty heavy materials.

That will make for some interesting times at Epicentre if/when 210Trade ever starts back up.

This might be old news but I dont remember reading about it at least since I joined.

Two posters have been hung giving a little more info on the 440 S. Church Office Building and Catalyst.

Projecting the office building should be open by August 2009.

IMG_0044.jpg

With regards to Catalyst looks like it should be complete by Early 2009 and a price range which has been stated before will be about the same prices as Avenue.

IMG_0060.jpg

Edited by DjStedali

Is it just me or is that parking deck set back far enough from the street to allow for a line of apartments or something screening it? Or is it not occupying its full footprint yet?

Its just not occupying its full footprint yet. There will be ramps on the 1st st. side of the project, as well as streetlevel retail. Well I know for sure about the ramps, street level retail on the other hand, I could definately be wrong about.

Dj, that sign for the office building is actually down right now. They dug a small trench yesterday around the perimeter, and the sign was in the way. I think the trench is just to give them access to dig up the old foundation wall from the old Duke building. But yeah, I reported on that "August 2009" on the sign when they first put it up. In my uninformed opinion, they would have to hurry to make that at this point.

Dj, that sign for the office building is actually down right now. They dug a small trench yesterday around the perimeter, and the sign was in the way. I think the trench is just to give them access to dig up the old foundation wall from the old Duke building. But yeah, I reported on that "August 2009" on the sign when they first put it up. In my uninformed opinion, they would have to hurry to make that at this point.

Well, if they top out a 27 story condo tower in ~6 months, I have faith that they can have the office tower done by August '09 :)

While 440 is almost as tall, you have to consider the fact that it has many fewer floors and, despite the fact that each floor will be larger, I don't believe that they will have any problem hitting 1 floor/week, topping this out by April/May. Not to mention that work inside in the office building will be easier as the businesses occupying each floor do a lot of the work on the floorplans themselves unlike the condo tower.

I assume it will be steel framed, so the skeleton should go up in just a couple of months.....it will take longer to fireproof, add core/lifesystems, and add the shell, but still 13 months seems reasonable at this point (at least for delivering vanilla box space)....they are doing foundation work currently, correct?