Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

Wachovia announced today that they may try to seek a partner(s) to develop the condo tower. Not surprising, and it would be a prudent move regardless of their financial situation.

I still have faith it will move forward, because their public funding is tied to new development $$$. If they don't build it, they won't get fully reimbursed from the city.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha yea... I also noticed an H&M located on the backside of the tower in a rendering that was displayed in the public library.

But.... At the same time I would love to be optimistic and Dream of an H&M. Dump the LV! The H&M alone would draw the crowds.

Re: the Bechtler, this week they've been putting and orange-ish siding on the north side. I think (but don't know) that that is the final siding.

On the Knight, they just recently added the steel to support the wavy structure out front as depicted in the latest rendering from atlrvr.

I'm new on here...been reading the forums a while but never posted anything before i dont think but i think i might have something worth while today.

For the summer i am working for a fire protection company and started work at the tower today and learned that the exact height of the tower will be 787' 7". This from ground level to the top of the handle. Just thought some of you would like that information. If i learn anything worthwhile on the site ill be sure to post it.

I also managed to get some pictures on my phone of the site and the other buildings. Even managed to get a couple of the inside of the Bechtler. Probably wont be that good of quality but ill post em when i get a chance.

This may just be purely the imagination of a rendering person, but given the accuracy of other components of this rendering, it makes one wonder if there is some knowledge inside the development community of Wachovia cutting the condo tower to half the size. The Wachovia condo tower appears to be ~25 stories on this rendering than the original ~40. It is probably prudent to make that change, but it is still notable.

http://catalystcharlotte.com/

It also could just be nothing.

If they're building a model or generating a 3D flyover, it is typical for developers to scale down their competition's projects. A good example of this would be the model in the VUE showroom that has 210 Trade about the size of a 20-25 story building.

If they're building a model or generating a 3D flyover, it is typical for developers to scale down their competition's projects. A good example of this would be the model in the VUE showroom that has 210 Trade about the size of a 20-25 story building.

The building used there is a placeholder design used by SRSSA. This same building was originally rendered at the site of 222 S Church on the 3rd Ward Master Plan rendering released by Novare after their purchase of the Power Building.

3rdward_266x160.jpg

Having come from the New York area where so many buildings have observation landings near their tops, does the Wachovia buidling's plans (or any of the new towers, for that matter) include such a location. As far as I can tell, the only place to get "in the air" to see the city is at the top of the 7th St. Station Parking Deck. When visitors come here, I'd love to be able to show them our city in the rise.

Having come from the New York area where so many buildings have observation landings near their tops, does the Wachovia buidling's plans (or any of the new towers, for that matter) include such a location. As far as I can tell, the only place to get "in the air" to see the city is at the top of the 7th St. Station Parking Deck. When visitors come here, I'd love to be able to show them our city in the rise.

If you had access to elevators in the BoA corp center ( which you did pre 9/11) you could get to i believe floor 56 from the main lobby. At that point, you exit into another lobby and there are additional security guards to greet anyone bound for the separate elevators to floors 57-60. I went to a reception there once and it was really cool. The 59th and 60th are connected via curved staircases and there is a multitude of high dollar art and sculptures. Maybe dougie can do a video piece up there showing the 360 degree views of charlotte. anyway, wish wachovia had provided for an observation deck!

I've heard from people at Wachovia that they ARE looking to downsize the number of floors they will take up. On the negative side, it likely will mean that they take fewer floors in their own HQ tower. On the positive side, it will allow more space to be available to other companies looking to expand downtown. The low vacancy rate has caused many companies to end up going to SouthPark or Morehead.

It appears that the CIB division is back to profitability, although it is much smaller than last year, so they won't remove the trading floor plans or the plans to consolidate CIB in this building. However, they will reduce the size of the trading floor to match their current needs rather than their needs two years ago.

So while it has the appearance to some that this 'already funded' project is immune from the cuts affecting Wachovia, that is only partially true. The appearance to others that they are irrationally moving forward with it is only partially true, too, as they are shedding the amount of space in the tower that they will use. I guess we will see where it ends up.

Archived