Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

I think it is for the same reason they filled in the area under the office tower first. They wanted to build up under the tallest tower first so they could get moving taking that tower up. Then they wanted to fill in the area under the Mint and the condo tower to take that up next. They have plenty of time to slowly fill up that last section in the next year and a half as they are not building a building on that section, it is simply the plaza.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is for the same reason they filled in the area under the office tower first. They wanted to build up under the tallest tower first so they could get moving taking that tower up. Then they wanted to fill in the area under the Mint and the condo tower to take that up next. They have plenty of time to slowly fill up that last section in the next year and a half as they are not building a building on that section, it is simply the plaza.

The ASC Cultural Free 4 All came out Wednesday and the Betchler Museum is holding a drawing for a Hard Hat Tour and reception. They're taking names by e-mail for the drawing, Free 4 All Guide.

The Mint Museum is holding its groundbreaking Sunday, September 7, 2 -4 p.m. on The Green across N. Tryon St. this ceremony is open to everyone and will offer refreshments, live music, crafts for the kids and an Andy Warhol impersonator.

46 stories

326 units starting above the Mint Museum at a 120 foot elevation

Gross construction sf = 642,000 sf

Sellable sf = 427,000 sf

Typical floor plate = 12,300 sf

Typically 6 to 10 units per floor

167 one bedroom units (530 to 1,000 sf)

5 one bedroom + den units (1,030 sf)

51 two bedroom units (1,140 to 1,700 sf)

93 two bedroom + den units (1,470 to 2,290 sf)

10 three bedroom units (2,660 sf)

Slab-to-slab height = 11

I was wondering why they took the ATM out. I thought it was just for another entrance. Thanks for solving that mystery for me.

This is a little off-topic, but still Wachovia related: what are they doing to the plaza at College and 3rd at One Wachovia? Are they just giving it a full makeover?

Do we know the height of the condo tower?

If I'm reading this correctly, we can gather that the final height will be no more that 798.5', and no less than 626'. Although we can't know exactly, until we know how many 14'8" floors, and how many 11' floors there exactly.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the condo tower is suppose to be shorter than the Vue, which I think is 677 ft? So I'd say it's probably around 600 ft tall.

Another question about the office tower. They are on about the 36th or 37th floor on the outside now from what I can see. When they switch to the steel for the "handle" portion of the building, can we expect the same speed on construction? I'm guessing it would rise faster b/c we'll see bigger pieces of steel installed?

Looking forward to some brilliant shots in the future of the sun setting and reflecting

off all that reflective glass!

Isn't it a shame that someone hasn't developed an interactive website with some

cool renderings and/or fly-through videos of the entire 1st Street Project....I think

a lot more people would be excited about the project as a whole if this were the

case! Is this asking too much?? I mean BOA, Catalyst, NHOF, Vue, Encore,

300 South (depressing), and 210 Trade (even more depressing) all have

something enticing to offer on their websites!!!

Interesting panoramas of the Downtown skyline during FOX Panthers/ da Bears game today. The tower appeared to be looming over the stadium. If Kasey had a little wind at his back, one day soon, he might just be able to put the ball through the handle....

This might be an advertising plum, particularly as the ball sails over the BofA logo....

^^ I don't think that they changed the design they are just not done yet (obviously). I think the corners (not the 45 degrees section) are going to be some kind of metal as the handle will be also metal. If those corners would be something else like glass the transition to the handle would be really ugly (like very abrupt) and I'd much rather see something interesting with different materials instead of glass only (seems kinda boring).

^^ I don't think that they changed the design they are just not done yet (obviously). I think the corners (not the 45 degrees section) are going to be some kind of metal as the handle will be also metal. If those corners would be something else like glass the transition to the handle would be really ugly (like very abrupt) and I'd much rather see something interesting with different materials instead of glass only (seems kinda boring).

Archived