Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

I predict that in a few years everybody will start complaining about how all of these new clear/blue glass buildings are boring and show a lack of creativity. I'm all for having this building have something other than a solid sheet of glass like everything else being built around the country right now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I predict that in a few years everybody will start complaining about how all of these new clear/blue glass buildings are boring and show a lack of creativity. I'm all for having this building have something other than a solid sheet of glass like everything else being built around the country right now.

While driving from South Blvd towards Uptown today I noticed that Wachovia is now about the height of One Wachovia which puts it in the range of 550 to 600 feet. My guess is we should begin to see the formation of the handles within the next few floors.

I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere along the way of this 76 page post but when they start the angling to the handle do they go immediately to steel for the whole floor or is it still all concrete or a mixture of both?

While driving from South Blvd towards Uptown today I noticed that Wachovia is now about the height of One Wachovia which puts it in the range of 550 to 600 feet. My guess is we should begin to see the formation of the handles within the next few floors.

I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere along the way of this 76 page post but when they start the angling to the handle do they go immediately to steel for the whole floor or is it still all concrete or a mixture of both?

While watching the skin on this building take shape, I think it's going to be way more interesting than first thought. There is quite a mix of shiny verses matte finish panels and with the diagonals i'ts becoming rather dynamic. I believe it will bookend with BofA very well. Also,

on another note, with the current ongoing financial crisis this building gives me hope for the future.

^Agreed Eastman, this is turning into one sexy building :) The glass really makes this building with a completely different look whether its night/day, sunny/cloudy, etc. They have also started to add the horizontal metal strips leading each corner to the "diagonals". The details will separate this from your everyday glass box.

Here's a question: Who is going to move into the building? I seem to recall reading that other than Wachovia, Duke is moving a substantial number of staff in here. Is Wachovia transferring workers from other Uptown offices or will their space mostly be filled with new hires? I was curious as to how the current economic situation--especially if they merge--will influence this building, if at all.

Here's a question: Who is going to move into the building? I seem to recall reading that other than Wachovia, Duke is moving a substantial number of staff in here. Is Wachovia transferring workers from other Uptown offices or will their space mostly be filled with new hires? I was curious as to how the current economic situation--especially if they merge--will influence this building, if at all.

Deloitte is moving their Charlotte office.

Schonnenstein (sp?) a law firm will be locating there.

Wachovia will be consolidating, though before all this banking crises, I believe they were planning to make a substantial number of new hires in the IB.

Wachovia does occupy space in a building on the BofA side of town, but the building itself is owned by a real estate investment company. They also occupy space in the BB&T building I believe, though that is owned by a real estate company as well.

I would assume at this point that the condo tower will be put on hold for quite some time. I'm not sure I would assume its cancelled, but I think Citi and Wachovia will need to see what all shakes out.

Wachovia (or possibly Citi now) is on the hook for guaranteeing property tax revenue to the city, but I believe the office tower alone should cover most of the revenue. If not, they will have to make cash payments to the city, but that is probably better than moving ahead with the condo tower at this point.

While at the Panthers game I watched them insert the steel to raise the cranes, that always fascinates me. I also took a good look at the study panel of the facade, I think the metal panels at the corner will look fine, just wish they could do the white granite all the way up.

Cmon people what's going on with you? It's completely different. Sorry but somebody who says that the condo tower won't be built just because another bank (which is in good standing) buys our not so fortunate Wachovia (I wrote that infantile on purpose so everybody can understand it) doesn't know anything about economy. Good that I studied economy in Zurich. In fact I think Wachovia aka Citibank will be much more powerful than all of you guys might think and this deal is lets say the best that could happen to Charlotte (but that's another topic). I still think the condo tower will get built, but anyway it doesn't matter right now if we get another building or not. Lets get over all this mess first. Good luck to everyone who's getting laid off.

In chatting with someone with ties to the project, I learned that the Condo tower permit was never picked up, essentially meaning that the project has been axed for the time being and the Mint will be built with a regular roof (which was also permitted). All the core elements will be in place if they should decide to add the tower at a later date, though.

I don't think Wachovia being sold off will have much to do with the condo tower as the fate of that tower was sealed some time ago. Rather, Wachovia being sold is a symptom of the problem that has exploded and why there won't be any more high rise condos going up in Charlotte in the foreseeable future. That would be the excessive run up in real estate prices made possible by irresponsible lending that drove prices to the point, where city such as Charlotte, could briefly justify the expense in putting up 50 story towers.

That party is over now and I have long contended that residential skyscrapers are only justified from an economic point of view, in places with high population and land pressures. Charlotte has neither. I feel sorry for those who bought into one of these units between 2005 and this year.

Cmon people what's going on with you? It's completely different. Sorry but somebody who says that the condo tower won't be built just because another bank (which is in good standing) buys our not so fortunate Wachovia (I wrote that infantile on purpose so everybody can understand it) doesn't know anything about economy. Good that I studied economy in Zurich. In fact I think Wachovia aka Citibank will be much more powerful than all of you guys might think and this deal is lets say the best that could happen to Charlotte (but that's another topic). I still think the condo tower will get built, but anyway it doesn't matter right now if we get another building or not. Lets get over all this mess first. Good luck to everyone who's getting laid off.

If anyone knows, to what extent will Wachovia's name still be on the building? I was talking to an employee today that seemed to think they wouldn't know the answer to that for months. The only part of the building that I would say might seem strange to have is the trading floor. I mean what exactly can they do with that space?

As far as the buildings being similar, that is ironic.

Who knows maybe Duke will take more of the space in the new building than they planned and tear down the eye sore they reside in now.

If anyone knows, to what extent will Wachovia's name still be on the building? I was talking to an employee today that seemed to think they wouldn't know the answer to that for months. The only part of the building that I would say might seem strange to have is the trading floor. I mean what exactly can they do with that space?

As far as the buildings being similar, that is ironic.

Who knows maybe Duke will take more of the space in the new building than they planned and tear down the eye sore they reside in now.

Archived