Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

Has Trinity Episcopal School ever considered going K-12? Smokey seems to run that school well, and it seems to have a good mix of high quality elitism with compassionate accessibility.

That is a good point, too, that I-bankers with families might do very well to locate in these towers. 80-100 hour work weeks are more sustainable if the commute to your family is only 3 minutes.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has Trinity Episcopal School ever considered going K-12? Smokey seems to run that school well, and it seems to have a good mix of high quality elitism with compassionate accessibility.

That is a good point, too, that I-bankers with families might do very well to locate in these towers. 80-100 hour work weeks are more sustainable if the commute to your family is only 3 minutes.

Why don't they just parner with the county for the fields? The greenway will have loads of space for this just across the freeway on 10th. They could also maybe buy land for a high school separately. They'd retain the brand, management, and fundraising ability with the existing school, but would simply have a second campus. Maybe we should push for the CMS high school in 2nd Ward, and share some facilities with a new Trinity High School there. That would be the most efficient.

Anyway, this condo tower is really going to tranform South Tryon, as 400 large condo units would bring 600-1000 people living there!

It might remain a parking lot forever, but there are no rumored plans for the site. It is owned by Eastern Federal (the same company that did theaters). When BofA built the Ritz, I was hoping Wachovia would build the Four Seasons here, but I think that might be a bit too ambitious. We'll see what happens, but I hope it isn't developed too soon if they don't fully utilize that lot for something big. That is a good site for a tower eventually, to continue contiguous high density development.

The WB building model is getting some rave reviews here on UP. I wish I weren't so far away, as I would love to see it in person too.

Maybe I've poo-pooed the new tower too quickly. After reading the posts here that laud the model, I'm lead to think perhaps I spoke against it too hastily. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the tower rise from the ground, and I will keep a more open mind about the design:)

Checked out the model at lunchtime today. Very nice. The tower is sharp. The condo tower is very classy as well. I noticed the condo tower shares the Mint's textured facade on the 1st street side up to the top of the Mint building. A green roof is included on the model on the lower portion of the tower base along Stonewall St.

I was suprised to see the big surface parking lot across Tyron from the office tower was modeled in detail with cars parked, etc. uuuggghh.

Thanks for such detailed pics, though afraid they confirm to me that two whole blocks of Stonewall are going to be kind of dead, and the 1st street side along the peeled pink ediface. Maybe pictures aren't doing things justice, but... Also, is the surface lot just there for depection as it is really slated for future development?

This one is also of Stonewall, but this section will have retail, wider sidewalks and so forth. I think the part on Tryon and Stonewall of the actual tower itself, will definitely struggle to overcome what you guys are criticizing with, because they can't fit retail. But it is glass with doors every so often.

The corner of Stonewall and Church should be fine, though.

Stonewall:

327440532_e38916b7e3.jpg

Church:

327440485_d2158ba4a2.jpg

That is, of course, depending on the type of retail going into the spaces, and what treatments they do to beckon the pedestrians in.

I kind of liked those structural awnings and stepped sections at the ground level to break up the facade a bit at the ground.

Also, I was very pleasantly surprised how much Church and First are treated. I liked that brick section of the theater facing Church, and I think the First street side of the Mint will be well received, with the interesting tecture of the building, the massive window into the lobby of the museum, and the retail and glass at the ground level.

First Street will end up being more of a pedestrian focus than Stonewall because of the plazas, the connection to the Green, the walking path between the condo tower and most of the destinations on Tryon, and the calmer traffic

Of all the projects, I'm probably least satisified with the Betchler building. It looks very plain. Perhaps the terra cotta treatment will add to the look of the building, but with a modern art building you could really make a architectual statment and step out on a limb or two.

The AACC is my favorite, and it's probably the most risky. It's really going to be some nice eye-candy at street level.

What can I say about the Wachovia Tower?! WAY more detail that I ever anticipated. The model at the top actually looks like two separate buildings coming together. I think this tower will reach icon status pretty quickly once built. The condo tower looks like it's going to be pretty tall. After looking at the model, if it's to scale, I'm going to revise my prediction to 510' rather than 475'. It looks like it's at least 2/3rds of the way up the Wachovia tower.

Can you imagine the cranes and the skyline when this, Epicenter/210 Trade, and the Vue all start rising?

Damn.

Archived