Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

Lots of CBD business people shop the open market at Polk Park and the flower stand across the street. We also enjoy the jazz band in the afternoons and other entertainment. It would be nice to see more of this. If an area is just business then people don't go there. If you've ever been in Boston's financial district on a Saturday, then you know it's like you stepped into a nuclear winter. It's just not a good use of space when use is limited so tightly.

6 blocks is not that much. There are successful CBD shopping districts that are 6 blocks or more. Again, Boston's Back Bay is great example. San Francisco and Chicago too. Most major cities have 6 blocks or more of shopping. Even most malls are at least 6 blocks.

If an office building can service its tenants and interact with the outside world, why not? Why does the entire building and the street surrounding it have to have a business only atmosphere?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true, Schmopper, I did include in my post that all of those things were good. But it is already a controversy that you can get minimum LEED certification by doing fairly easy and inexpensive things, getting as many points with those as more broadreaching features. I was hoping Wachovia would do more than just go for the minimum. It is possible that they are doing much more, and the O didn't care to report it. They don't seem to ever report, as was rumored earlier, that they were going for LEED gold. I'm a little worried that costs have risen and they are reducing their commitment to green features, going just with the minimum to still get the publicity.

IC, I guess I'm just happy to see them trying anything at all that's enviromentally freindly. Should they spend the money to attain LEED gold or any other certification they can, YES. I hope they do, it would pay off for them in the long run, and add value to the building. In our town tho I'm just happy to see some baby steps being taken.

I'm pretty sure they have been trying to achieve silver LEED all along...with BofA going for gold with their new building here, maybe Wachovia still step up the design.

Still, even the basic LEED certified is a HUGE step forward over any office tower currently in Charlotte.....

I agree with you to a degree, but the retail building located next to the tower on Stonewall is a continuation of the building's design and imposing facade. All of Stonewall is going to feel cutoff and desolate, and be little more [pedestrian wise] than the place where the tower's smokers congregate. You can see this from the pic taken of the base of the model on page 3 here (also has been quoted and reposted elsewhere) in tandem with the site plan (assuming it is still current).

I have a feeling it might just be a bit taller than Three Wachovia. That is not too bad, considering before they anounced the increase in height we were looking at something more along the 30 floor variety. (something similar to Trademark)

A2

Someone mentioned "IJL doesn't have any retail" - Actually, IJL has a fair amount of ground floor space available for interior retail.

There is a small sundries shop, and a coffee room which do OK biz from the floor traffic passing from the elevators to the parking deck. I think IJL may even have a sandwich shop in the back - or did at one time. The coffee place owner once told me she had considered locating in Hearst - but decided the floor layout was too maze-like and unconducive to business.

The problem with the floor traffic at IJL is there is not much reason to go to the back of the building. There is an uninviting plaza back there (hard surfaced with a few tired benches, and facing the noisy HVAC from the building). Mostly smokers use it.

(EDIT: DxArtist, that looks like the worlds biggest vacuum cleaner sitting there on the right!)

Archived