Wachovia 48 Story Office Tower & 42 Story Condo Tower

Bled_man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I travel this way up Park Rd to work each morning and occasionally imagine what the new Wachovia building will look like from the Tyvola intersection. So, I decided to join the ranks of those who like to tinker in Wachovia Photoshopping. :P

First of all, the photo I am using belongs to a UP member, but I can't for the life of me find the original source. I do not know who to credit with the photo but if they notice it and want me to remove it, I will be glad to do so. This is the intersection of Park Rd & Tyvola (looking north obviously). I tried to create a daytime & dusk view.

parktyvola_wach.jpg

After a closer examination (thanks to Google Earth), I changed the angle of the new building to what I feel may be the more appropriate view from this intersection.

Have you been to Bentley's on 27? I know it's not 800 feet, but it's the closest thing that we have to an observation deck at this point. If you haven't been there are you are eager to see Charlotte from above, I would recommend a trip. A drink at the bar will cost you at least $8, but it's worth it.

I'm thousands of miles away, but maybe a local movement could arise to pressure WB to at least consider putting in an observation deck.

If the security factor can be resolved, having an observation area there makes all the sense in the world. Maybe the bank could even realize a nice little income from it as well. I would gladly pay $10 to see a view like that (I think that's what Seattle's Space Needle charges.)

I don't know why it's never occurred to me before, but the view from the Tyvola intersection may be the best postcard of downtown Charlotte there is. And when all the announced projects are completed, it'll shame a number of much larger cities.

My best friend, who is from DC, was in town watching the Wiz game with me this week at Bob Johnson arena, and he was stunned by how big Charlotte's downtown is for, as he described it, a 'cow town.' He and I have both traveled the country quite extensively, and for a city of 1.5 M people, there really isn't any other city in the United States that even holds a candle in terms of downtown size to population size.

Just wait till The Vue, WB's towers, BAC's tower and the rest are complete. Holy Scheisse!

Oh, and nice work on the photoshop.

My best friend, who is from DC, was in town watching the Wiz game with me this week at Bob Johnson arena, and he was stunned by how big Charlotte's downtown is for, as he described it, a 'cow town.' He and I have both traveled the country quite extensively, and for a city of 1.5 M people, there really isn't any other city in the United States that even holds a candle in terms of downtown size to population size.

I'm thousands of miles away, but maybe a local movement could arise to pressure WB to at least consider putting in an observation deck.

If the security factor can be resolved, having an observation area there makes all the sense in the world. Maybe the bank could even realize a nice little income from it as well. I would gladly pay $10 to see a view like that (I think that's what Seattle's Space Needle charges.)

I wonder if by "downtown size" he's referring to the physical density of the CBD or population size? I was thinking it was the former. I can see how one would be initially impressed in that regard, although I still think other comparable cities/metro areas have Charlotte beat when it comes to that.

Nice to see your pedantry shine through, yet again, metro. Charlotte is pretty close to 1.5 M in the metro. Of course, by your reckoning, I guess ATL (500k) is smaller than Charlotte, huh?

I was referring to Charlotte's metro area, and the skyscraper to metro area ratio. Number of cities much larger than Charlotte with much weaker skylines (Phoenix, St Louis, and Tampa immediately spring to mind).

Yes there are lots of surface lots, and in terms of downtown area, Charlotte's pretty average. But, my point was, in terms of skyscapers size and number to total metro population, no other city in this country even comes close.

Nice to see your pedantry shine through, yet again, metro. Charlotte is pretty close to 1.5 M in the metro. Of course, by your reckoning, I guess ATL (500k) is smaller than Charlotte, huh?

I was referring to Charlotte's metro area, and the skyscraper to metro area ratio. Number of cities much larger than Charlotte with much weaker skylines (Phoenix, St Louis, and Tampa immediately spring to mind).

Yes there are lots of surface lots, and in terms of downtown area, Charlotte's pretty average. But, my point was, in terms of skyscapers size and number to total metro population, no other city in this country even comes close.

Actually Charlotte's metro area is getting close to 2.2 million and the city it self is around 610k. Charlotte's metro area isn't any more spread out than many metro areas around the U.S. The City itself lacks consistent density from one end to the other but, with all the condo towers announced and underway the City is def moving in the right direction, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find this many announcements in any other city, Charlotte's size.

The skyline is impressive for a city this size, I don't think that can be argued, as far as the down town being lively, if you compare it to 10 years ago, I think things are much, much better and with the population increasing inside the 277 belt down/up town will change even more dramatically over the next 5 years, than it has in the last 20.

Metro it seems as tho you think every single building should have street level activity 24 hours a day, that's not realistic. There's plenty of activity in Charlotte's future, Asheville is fun, I'll give you that but really it just seems like a beatnik college town, not a direction I'd like to see Charlotte move in.

Archived