The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Coming soon sign for Sushi is now up for this. Let's recap the last few months shall we? New restaurant/retailers that have just opened or will be opening later this year downtown:

-Poppington Popcorn for old Qwikees space on Main Street. Opened this past week.

-Mac's Speed Shop for old vacant building on Main Street. Opened a few weeks ago.

-Pita Pit for old Quizno's space on Main Street.

-21 East restaurant for old three story office building along East Washington Street.

-Port City Java for old Liquid Highway space on Main Street.

-Moe Joe Coffee for old Halfway to Habana space on Main Street.

-American Roadside Burgers for old oil change shop/gas station on East McBee Avenue.

-Larkin's restaurant for old Hot Dog King space on Main Street

-Amanda Henry's Popcorn Parlor for vacant retail space at Main and Augusta Streets.

-Sushi for old Art Bar space on Main Street.

-New dentist office for McBee Station.

-The Cigar Boxx for vacant retail space On College Avenue.

-Charleston Cooks for old Atlanta Bread Company space on Main Street.

-New dentist office for vacant retail space between Edward Jones and The Cook's Station on Main Street.

-Anthropolgie and CertusBank for ONE development on Main Street.

***This list doesn't include the still fairly new but been open longer than a month Wool Over Your Eyes, Kitchen Arts & Pottery, Breakwater, and Sweet Dreams retailers/restaurants downtown.

Edited by citylife

New pizza place on Coffee, Vic's, right next to the also new Groucho's Deli. I tried a couple of slices and can preliminarily say that they can claim the title of most authentic New York pizza. Good stuff.

Also, at the BZA today, the new owner of the Jamaican Twist space on Main received a special exception permit to re-open a Jamaican restaurant and to stay open until 2AM on Friday nights. The owner of the popcorn store next door was not happy.

This may be old news, but it is hard to keep up these days:

The Growlers Station has just opened next to Smiley's Acoustic Cafe on Augusta St. They sell craft beer.

The Journal TBA reports:

Red Fin a fusion-style restaurant will open in mid-July on Main Street.

Anyone know the exact location?

Also, at the BZA today, the new owner of the Jamaican Twist space on Main received a special exception permit to re-open a Jamaican restaurant and to stay open until 2AM on Friday nights. The owner of the popcorn store next door was not happy.

I wonder why he would not be happy. Jamaica Twist has been in that spot for many years. You can't move in and immediately start complaining about the neighbors who were there long before you.

I wonder why he would not be happy. Jamaica Twist has been in that spot for many years. You can't move in and immediately start complaining about the neighbors who were there long before you.

I agree. I wonder how the rent compares with other downtown spaces. The building as a whole look fairly rough, I would think that rent would resultantly be cheaper. Get what you pay for, including your neighbors. Qwickie's anyone?

The Journal TBA reports:

Red Fin a fusion-style restaurant will open in mid-July on Main Street.

Anyone know the exact location?

There have been several disjointed post on this place......one post called this place "Sushi", one post talked about a new "salt block" cooking place. This is it.

Red Fin. Sushi and fusion cuisine with salt blocks. Going into the old Art Bar space.

There have been several disjointed post on this place......one post called this place "Sushi", one post talked about a new "salt block" cooking place. This is it.

Red Fin. Sushi and fusion cuisine with salt blocks. Going into the old Art Bar space.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that might be the case.

This was discussed (and kind of beaten up a little) in this forum back in April. If you want another chance to see what it will look like, here is the application (again): http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/MAY/BoardofZoningAppeals/05-17-2012/S-12-99-18SouthMainStreet.pdf

She seemed to be complaining that Jamaica Twist was too popular and that people waiting to get in block the entrance to her business. It was a pretty lame objection, essentially saying that being successful is somehow a bad thing downtown. I also doubt that the popcorn store is open past midnight, so the later hours wouldn't affect her in anyway either. Needless to say, the BZA wasn't particularly sympathetic.

Disclosure: I know the owner.

21 east soft opening is on Monday. I've already tried the menu and it's pretty awesome. The lighting effects are completely unique, hand designed and built by the owner and GM. I've never seen something quite like it! It really blew me away, I can't wait to hang out there once the nightlife starts. I've been dying for an upscale, NY style(high attention to detail, quality and modern design) nightspot in Greenville and we finally have one.

Edited by NBNY2GRNVL

21 east soft opening is on Monday. I've already tried the menu and it's pretty awesome. The lighting effects are completely unique, hand designed and built by the owner and GM. I've never seen something quite like it! It really blew me away, I can't wait to hang out there once the nightlife starts. I've been dying for an upscale, NY style nightspot in Greenville and we finally have one.

Sounds pretty great! I can't wait to check it out. The exterior looks awesome and is such an improvement!

21 east soft opening is on Monday. I've already tried the menu and it's pretty awesome. The lighting effects are completely unique, hand designed and built by the owner and GM. I've never seen something quite like it! It really blew me away, I can't wait to hang out there once the nightlife starts. I've been dying for an upscale, NY style nightspot in Greenville and we finally have one.

Just curious because I'm in NYC quite often......what do you define as "NY style"? Unless talking about a specific food like pizza or cheesecake, when the description "New York style" is used, it sort of scares many who deal in marketing. Sounds uninspired and not original. And not to beat the drum too much, but considering NYC has something for everyone with every taste and fetish, there really is no singular "NY style".