The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Renovations have also started on this Main Street building: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16942953/22-South-Main-Street-Greenville-SC/?LinkCode=10850&SourceCode=1lww2t006a00001& Don't know what if anything is planned.

Looks like the former Halfway To Habana space next door has been possibly leased also. The for lease sign is now gone and a new sign has gone up in the window with this architecture firm printed on it:

Are you sure because their website is still up and their Facebook page mentions nothing about it? :dontknow:

It was closed at about 4pm on Saturday. The signs were still up (stating that the store was open until 6 on Saturdays), but there was no sign of life inside.

McBee Station (or the vicinity) really needs a better pedestrian connection to Main St. and another retail anchor. The clothing stores that it had seemed nice, but they didn't last, and apart from Great Clips, which was very busy on Saturday, the other tenants are low-traffic ones, such as design studios, spas, etc.

The running store at McBee Station closed.

Not shocked.

The success of retail at McBee Station has been spotty at best. Other than Publix, Staples and Mary Beth's (and Urban Nirvana to a degree), the retail portion has been a failure. Check the amount of condos that actually have someone living in them....they are a failure as well. At least the apartment portion seems to have done well.

Edited by gs3

Not shocked.

The success of retail at McBee Station has been spotty at best. Other than Publix, Staples and Mary Beth's (and Urban Nirvana to a degree), the retail portion has been a failure. Check the amount of condos that actually have someone living in them....they are a failure as well. At least the apartment portion seems to have done well.

Yes and no. The condos hit the market right when the real estate market took a plunge... and in so banks tightened their willingness to give condo mortgages also. Those restrictions have since lossened, but until 50% of the development is sold the development is not FNMA conformining and people are unable to get conventional mortgages. Instead, they are offered 5/1 ARMs which scare some people off. With 8 out of 21 sold, they only need 3 more and I have a feeling once that happens more will start selling. I think all of these feed off of each other so with the apartments, staples, and publix doing well the development is doing well.

I do agree though that most of the smaller retail has had a problem suceeding for whatever reason.

Yes and no. The condos hit the market right when the real estate market took a plunge... and in so banks tightened their willingness to give condo mortgages also. Those restrictions have since lossened, but until 50% of the development is sold the development is not FNMA conformining and people are unable to get conventional mortgages. Instead, they are offered 5/1 ARMs which scare some people off. With 8 out of 21 sold, they only need 3 more and I have a feeling once that happens more will start selling. I think all of these feed off of each other so with the apartments, staples, and publix doing well the development is doing well.

I do agree though that most of the smaller retail has had a problem suceeding for whatever reason.

Great info. Thanks!

Since the apartments seem to be the best performing portion of this development, retailers should take note of the immediate apartment dwelling demographic and open accordingly. A liquor store I would think would do quite well. A Chipotle or other similar dine in / carry out type restaurants. Etc.

Agreed. I'd think that most of the smaller stores have clearly not been "destination" retail and so they would rely on foot traffic, and there is very little- at least facing McBee. Maybe if the center's layout were different, with the smaller stores having more visibility, they'd work better.

I'd think that adding another large retailer would definitely help, as would making the few blocks between Publix and Main more inviting/interesting.

A restaurant might do the trick- particularly a Chick-fil-A or a big draw like that.

Edited by mallguy

Great info. Thanks!

Since the apartments seem to be the best performing portion of this development, retailers should take note of the immediate apartment dwelling demographic and open accordingly. A liquor store I would think would do quite well. A Chipotle or other similar dine in / carry out type restaurants. Etc.

Completely agree on a liquor store. The only ones that come to mind are the party store down on Falls st and Broad, but that one isn’t always the nicest to go into and the one on Church St.... which definitely isn’t the best to go into. I think a Chipotle would blow McBee out, but does that seem like a location for them? Always seems like they want to be in a much higher traffic area. If McBee could land a Chipotle (not sure there is a big enough spot, especially with the Dentist taking all those spots) that would be huge. Direct parking may also be an issue for them.

Agreed. I'd think that most of the smaller stores have clearly not been "destination" retail and so they would rely on foot traffic, and there is very little- at least facing McBee. Maybe if the center's layout were different, with the smaller stores having more visibility, they'd work better.

I'd think that adding another large retailer would definitely help, as would making the few blocks between Publix and Main more inviting/interesting.

A restaurant might do the trick- particularly a Chick-fil-A or a big draw like that.

There is definitely some potential between McBee Station and Main St. You’ve got the old Peacock spot which could have street level retail, a new burger place going in at the old garage spot on McBee and Irvine, then you’ve got the old warehouse looking building and parking lot which I believe are for sale, then the parking lot right across from McBee station. Seems like potential is there... but I agree that there needs to be a destination location.

... then the parking lot right across from McBee station.

I, too, would like to see more of the land and buildings across McBee Avenue redeveloped. Additional people and activity would create more of a district feel, as opposed to the current inwardly-focused play that happens within McBee Station right now. Cross-street synergy can be an intangible item that can go a long way...

Completely agree on a liquor store. The only ones that come to mind are the party store down on Falls st and Broad, but that one isn’t always the nicest to go into and the one on Church St.... which definitely isn’t the best to go into. I think a Chipotle would blow McBee out, but does that seem like a location for them? Always seems like they want to be in a much higher traffic area. If McBee could land a Chipotle (not sure there is a big enough spot, especially with the Dentist taking all those spots) that would be huge. Direct parking may also be an issue

In addition to a Chipotle type place and a liquor store, a Pinkberry type place (though GV will never get Pinkberry) would do well. Any type of on trend eatery that would get people to hang out, but not a bar scene. Anything to give McBee more life. As is, McBee is too convenience oriented (though some convenience for the apartment dwellers is a good thing).

In addition to a Chipotle type place and a liquor store, a Pinkberry type place (though GV will never get Pinkberry) would do well. Any type of on trend eatery that would get people to hang out, but not a bar scene. Anything to give McBee more life. As is, McBee is too convenience oriented (though some convenience for the apartment dwellers is a good thing).

With the amount of frozen yogurt type places popping up everywhere.. I too am slightly suprised though I will admit it didnt pop into my head. Being right next to a grocery store (kids convincing mom to get them some yogurt before/after shopping) and the apartments seems logical with close proximity to DT. I see alot of these next to, or in the proximity of, grocery... 2 over on Pelham, Woodruff, etc.

Why won't Greenville ever get a Pinkberry? Because Greenville sucks lately?

Why won't Greenville ever get a Pinkberry? Because Greenville sucks lately?

Greenville is not the type of market they are targeting. Several key retail components are missing. Got to chat with their store expansion team about a year ago.

With the amount of frozen yogurt type places popping up everywhere.. I too am slightly suprised though I will admit it didnt pop into my head. Being right next to a grocery store (kids convincing mom to get them some yogurt before/after shopping) and the apartments seems logical with close proximity to DT. I see alot of these next to, or in the proximity of, grocery... 2 over on Pelham, Woodruff, etc.

The Yogurt Mountain franchise seems to be doing the best in this area (of all the new fro-yo places). Maybe an opportunity for an additional location for them.