The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

We already have enough eating establishments and coffee shops downtown. What we need more of is retail. This does not excite me at all.

A doughnut place is totally different from a coffee shop or restaurant. Plus this won't be just any doughnut place, but rather a trendy and unique Dunkin' Donuts. I don't see the problem, especially since it will likely be a popular attraction. :thumbsup:

I agree that we need retail, but it's not either-or.

A doughnut place is totally different from a coffee shop or restaurant. Plus this won't be just any doughnut place, but rather a trendy and unique Dunkin' Donuts. I don't see the problem, especially since it will likely be a popular attraction. :thumbsup:

I agree that we need retail, but it's not either-or.

But Dunkin Donuts is not a donut place either! It's an afterthought on their menu! :lol:

I actually like DD. I grew up eating at the one on Wade Hampton at least twice a month.

I even prefer the cake doughnuts at KK over their classic glazed.

Well they were at least bearable to eat before DD updated their look and style. They actually made them on site at the one on Wade Hampton. I just about choke on the ones they serve now they are so dry and old. The wonderful think about Krispy Kreme is not only eating them freshly made but watching them get made, basking in the glow of the red neon Hot Donuts Now sign and smelling that heavenly yeast smell as they come down the conveyer belt and get coated with a hot glaze of sugar. ahhh..... makes me want to drive out to Pleasantburg Drive now and get a dozen. Now when Krispy Kreme comes about to downtown Greenville that will be news!

I didn't know this, but apparently Greenville's Krispy Kreme is not franchised. It's owned by the corporation. This also means that it actually provides the donuts to the businesses that are contracted to sell KK in their stores throughout the upstate, such as Walmarts, etc. Because of this, Spartanburg's which IS franchised cannot provide to the locations that are closer to that store or so they said... interesting stuff. I wonder what it would take to get a second KK? I know that Glenn Reese (sp?) who owns the Spartanburg location actually owns the franchise rights for the majority of Upstate counties, including Anderson. I'm not sure what the case is for Greenville County.

Well they were at least bearable to eat before DD updated their look and style. They actually made them on site at the one on Wade Hampton. I just about choke on the ones they serve now they are so dry and old. The wonderful think about Krispy Kreme is not only eating them freshly made but watching them get made, basking in the glow of the red neon Hot Donuts Now sign and smelling that heavenly yeast smell as they come down the conveyer belt and get coated with a hot glaze of sugar. ahhh..... makes me want to drive out to Pleasantburg Drive now and get a dozen. Now when Krispy Kreme comes about to downtown Greenville that will be news!

I would think they will get fresher once the local donut factory gets finished and they don't have to have them trucked in from another franchisee's facility.

I'm all for development, but this takes me back to the issue of local vs. national businesses. Does it bother anyone else that DD is setting up shop so close to Coffee Underground? I'm not trying to stir up the debate all over again, but I am wondering if I'm the only one who thinks this move is pretty much the same as when Starbucks set up shop right next door to the E. North Liquid Hwy.

I'm all for development, but this takes me back to the issue of local vs. national businesses. Does it bother anyone else that DD is setting up shop so close to Coffee Underground? I'm not trying to stir up the debate all over again, but I am wondering if I'm the only one who thinks this move is pretty much the same as when Starbucks set up shop right next door to the E. North Liquid Hwy.

Don't forget Starbucks at RiverPlace - just a few short steps from Spill the Beans ... but Spill the Beans is now going to take the bull by the horns and relocate directly across the street from Starbucks. I have to applaud that.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that linkerjpatrick is not a fan of Dunkin' Donuts. :lol:

I'm in the KK-is-better-than-DD camp as well. But unlike linker, I'm not going to poop in the new store coming to downtown... sounds cool. If only they served hot Krispy Kremes, it would be perfect.

Surprisingly, Liquid Highway did better after Starbucks set up shop.

Edited by breed

Surprisingly, I stopped by Port City Java at the Fieldhouse this morning to grab a coffee and found that Champ had bailed on that location and is redirecting patrons to one of his other three locations (Main, Mills, or Augusta). :blink: I guess my cutting back on the Blackberry Slushin' Joe consumption really hurt their bottom line at that location. :rolleyes:

This is great news for Greenville... I can't help but wonder how this will impact Coffee Underground though....

Also, I am not a fan of DD's donuts, but their shops are really designed to sell so much more than that. They have decent coffee and other bakery items that are pretty good even despite the face the their donuts suck. If they could combine KK's donuts with DD's everything else, you'd have a really awesome chain.

I didn't know this, but apparently Greenville's Krispy Kreme is not franchised. It's owned by the corporation. This also means that it actually provides the donuts to the businesses that are contracted to sell KK in their stores throughout the upstate, such as Walmarts, etc. Because of this, Spartanburg's which IS franchised cannot provide to the locations that are closer to that store or so they said... interesting stuff. I wonder what it would take to get a second KK? I know that Glenn Reese (sp?) who owns the Spartanburg location actually owns the franchise rights for the majority of Upstate counties, including Anderson. I'm not sure what the case is for Greenville County.

I'd be interested to know where you heard this because I'm pretty sure the one in Spartanburg supplies the Spartanburg area donuts just like the one in Greenville does for the Greenville area. If they don't then they must sell more donuts there than I thought.

Surprisingly, I stopped by Port City Java at the Fieldhouse this morning to grab a coffee and found that Champ had bailed on that location and is redirecting patrons to one of his other three locations (Main, Mills, or Augusta). :blink: I guess my cutting back on the Blackberry Slushin' Joe consumption really hurt their bottom line at that location. :rolleyes:

That really stinks. I liked having a coffee shop near the ballpark. I went to this Port City Java a few times, and was concerned that they did not do enough business to justify the rent they were likely paying. We all know that location will be great for a coffee shop in a few years, but perhaps it's too early at this point. :unsure:

It was also cool because it gave one company two locations within a few blocks of one another. We don't usually see that in Greenville. With that said, I could definitely see Starbucks putting another store in the Piazza Bergamo/Main at Washington area to capitalize on all the foot traffic that will soon be there. I think that would probably put Coffee Underground "under." ^_^

I could definitely see Starbucks putting another store in the Piazza Bergamo/Main at Washington area to capitalize on all the foot traffic that will soon be there. I think that would probably put Coffee Underground "under." ^_^

I think it would be a real hoot to see Krispy Kreme move into the old Woolworth's location right next to Dunkin Donuts! That would bring another national retailer, bring Krispy Kreme back downtown and with the large space they could really put on a show with the famous conveyer belt along main street!

:P

I'd be interested to know where you heard this because I'm pretty sure the one in Spartanburg supplies the Spartanburg area donuts just like the one in Greenville does for the Greenville area. If they don't then they must sell more donuts there than I thought.

I heard this from a Spartanburg businessman who is friends with Mr. Reese and based his information off of conversations with him... He could be wrong, but that's what he said...

Bailed as in Closed?

Evidently. The store hours had been removed from the door and both doors had a sheet of paper taped to them from the inside thanking everyone for their patronage and advising that they had "Closed for Business," and redirecting to the other stores.

That really stinks. I liked having a coffee shop near the ballpark. I went to this Port City Java a few times, and was concerned that they did not do enough business to justify the rent they were likely paying. We all know that location will be great for a coffee shop in a few years, but perhaps it's too early at this point. :unsure:

It was also cool because it gave one company two locations within a few blocks of one another. We don't usually see that in Greenville. With that said, I could definitely see Starbucks putting another store in the Piazza Bergamo/Main at Washington area to capitalize on all the foot traffic that will soon be there. I think that would probably put Coffee Underground "under." ^_^

I really liked goinng to this one sometimes just to get out of the house and get my work done. It was always quiet (due to the slow business), but I knew it was a matter of time (given the slow business) before they closed up. Oddly, I think the fact that they did have two other locations so nearby (Wachovia Place and on Mills) may have hurt them here...nothing like cannibalization.

I think it would be a real hoot to see Krispy Kreme move into the old Woolworth's location right next to Dunkin Donuts! That would bring another national retailer, bring Krispy Kreme back downtown and with the large space they could really put on a show with the famous conveyer belt along main street!

If that happened, we may as well get a Top Pot from Seattle to move into the Greenville market, too. They'd have to rename the street from "Coffee Street" to "Donut Street." :P Seriously, though, a Krispy Kreme downtown would be awesome.

I've been in Coffee Underground about 4 times this past week at various times. A few times I have struggled to find a seat, and the other times a very healthy crowd was present. Maybe its their proactive approach to keeping competitors out that keeps them busy, but I really don't think that they would be put out of business very easily. They also use their hot drink sleeves as advertising space. Currently O'neal Village haunts you as you consume your to go beverage.

This isn't your 1980's or 90's downtown Greenville. This is 2008. There IS room for numerous coffee shops. Besides, their underground location, atmosphere, and venue offerings aren't going to let their faithful customers leave for a 'cozy' Dunkin Donuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...