Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

"The Quarter" New Orleans style cocktail bar opens tonight in downtown Greensboro's Southend on Lewis Street. Ironically around the corner from Fat Tuesday which is  a New Orleans inspired destination chain of frozen cocktail bars usually located in tourist destinations. The Quarter is located next to Boxcar Barcade and across the street from SouthEnd Brewing.

20240227_223628.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_223329_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_223809_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_223842_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_223856_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_223952_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_224000_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_224006_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_224013_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_224249_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_224258_Chrome.jpg

Btw this building along with a large portion of South Elm Street in downtown Greensboro was used as a filming location for the horror movie Hellraiser III which was filmed in the early 1990s featuring Pinhead. I still remember the scene of the police car exploding at the intersection of Elm and Market right at the corner of the Jefferson Standard building which was clearly visible in the movie.

The picture on the bottom is a clip from the movie. Inside scenes were also shot.

Screenshot_20240227_224908_Chrome.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

Ryan Cos. no longer pursing $300M redevelopment of former News & Record site in downtown Greensboro

News & Record site downtown Greensboro

The vacant News & Record site in downtown Greensboro was being targeted by the Ryan Cos. for a $300 million redevelopment.
LLOYD WHITTINGTON

One of the largest developments planned for downtown Greensboro won't be coming to the city.

Ryan Cos. is no longer pursuing its previously announced, $300 million redevelopment of the former News & Record site in downtown Greensboro, a company spokesperson confirmed to the Triad Business Journal this week. The spokesperson said Ryan, which is based in Minneapolis, did not have any other information to share......................................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/03/06/ryan-companies-greensboro-berkshire-hathaway.html

3 hours ago, rancenc said:

Ryan Cos. no longer pursing $300M redevelopment of former News & Record site in downtown Greensboro

News & Record site downtown Greensboro

The vacant News & Record site in downtown Greensboro was being targeted by the Ryan Cos. for a $300 million redevelopment.
LLOYD WHITTINGTON

One of the largest developments planned for downtown Greensboro won't be coming to the city.

Ryan Cos. is no longer pursuing its previously announced, $300 million redevelopment of the former News & Record site in downtown Greensboro, a company spokesperson confirmed to the Triad Business Journal this week. The spokesperson said Ryan, which is based in Minneapolis, did not have any other information to share......................................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/03/06/ryan-companies-greensboro-berkshire-hathaway.html

This could partially further explain the further stalling of the garage/Westin.

Though I wonder if Cone's agreement with the Hoppers threw a wrench into Ryan's plans since their proposal was supposedly focused on the health sector if I remember. Perhaps Cone is going to be part of the project the Hoppers management is putting together instead... if so that could have rendered Ryan's proposal moot.

Edited by HRVT

58 minutes ago, HRVT said:

This could at some partially further explain the further stalling of the garage/Westin.

Though I wonder if Cone's agreement with the Hoppers threw a wrench into Ryan's plans since their proposal was supposedly focused on the health sector if I remember. Perhaps Cone is going to be part of the project the Hoppers management is putting together instead... if so that could have rendered Ryan's proposal moot.

The site will still be empty ten years from now. Sad. Greensboro needs new leaders. 

Edited by gman430

Since the condemnation of the site on March 1st, 2024, the owners of the N&R site, Berkshire Hathaway, have committed to demolishing the two smaller builds on site, while the larger building is being prepped for demolition sometime in the future. With hopes that a cleared lot will increase the marketability of the site. (Ryan Co. could possibly re-enter the market for the site). 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, cityboi said:

Now that Lidl appears to be a no go, two developers have two different visions for that site at South Elm Street and Gate City Blvd.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/2-candidates-eager-to-revitalize-south-elm-street-in-greensboro/

The Alexander plan is the no brainer IMO. Downtown needs residents. Everything else is secondary for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HRVT said:

The Alexander plan is the no brainer IMO. Downtown needs residents. Everything else is secondary for now.

I'm sure either would be better than that terrible Lidl plan. But I agree on the need for more residents downtown. I know I've said this before, but if we 3x'd the downtown residential population, everything else people want to see downtown would happen organically. Building residential buildings on the abundant vacant land downtown should be the #1 goal bar none.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jthomas said:

I'm sure either would be better than that terrible Lidl plan. But I agree on the need for more residents downtown. I know I've said this before, but if we 3x'd the downtown residential population, everything else people want to see downtown would happen organically. Building residential buildings on the abundant vacant land downtown should be the #1 goal bar none.

I know downtown needs a grocery store but like you said, that Lidl plan was horri-awful.

Get people living there and the need is fulfilled organically. There's already a decent base of restaurants/bars and other perks (baseball, theater, etc).

Edited by HRVT

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HRVT said:

I know downtown needs a grocery store but like you said, that Lidl plan was horri-awful.

Get people living there and the need is fulfilled organically. There's already a decent base of restaurants/bars and other perks (baseball, theater, etc).

I agree, Alexander's plan is better and I also agree with Lidl. It was a horrible site plan for an urban grocery store. Alexander is looking to eventually attract a grocery store in his development and hopefully it will be done the right way. But it would be cool to see a hybrid of both plans.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Lidl backing out at South Elm and Gate City Blvd may have been a good thing. A developer wants to build a mixed use project there called South Gate which would include 6 story apartments, retail and space for a national grocery chain. The developer has been talking to Lidl as well. This is how an urban grocery store should be incorporated into downtown. Not a stand alone store with a large parking lot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2024/04/09/south-elm-alexander-group-andy-zimmerman-retail.html

• Like 3

from that article about the Lidl site

""One proposal was for an approximately $80 million project by The Alexander Company, a developer based in Wisconsin that specializes in historic preservation and urban revitalization. The tentative plan calls for a six story mixed-use development called Southgate that would include 30,000 square feet of retail space, 160 apartment units and 530 parking spaces. The company has been talking with grocers, including Lidl and Publix, for the retail space, according to the commission.

The Alexander timeline calls for due diligence to be completed and a purchase and sales agreement with non-fundable deposit to be made in October 2024, with project completion expected in 2026 or 2027. The project's financing would include new market tax credits and 4% low income housing tax credits, according to the commission's recent meeting.""

• Like 2

The Alexander Company is the same company that recently completed the renovation of the Printworks Mill in northeast Greensboro, adjacent to Revolution Mill:

https://alexandercompany.com/projects/printworks-mill/

I agree that this is a much better outcome for the site than the standalone Lidl. Would be great to finally see something happen on this corner. At first, I had some reservations about the size of the proposed parking deck (530 spaces for 160 apartments). But it makes more sense if they are still pursuing a grocery store for the site. I also know that the city has been pursuing options for additional parking to serve the South Elm area, and this deck would fill that need.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cityboi said:

Lidl backing out at South Elm and Gate City Blvd may have been a good thing. A developer wants to build a mixed use project there called South Gate which would include 6 story apartments, retail and space for a national grocery chain. The developer has been talking to Lidl as well. This is how an urban grocery store should be incorporated into downtown. Not a stand alone store with a large parking lot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2024/04/09/south-elm-alexander-group-andy-zimmerman-retail.html

Won’t get built. Inflation and interest rates are too high.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cityboi said:

There's no doubt Lidl pulling out will be a great thing, that was an absolutely atrocious use of space on that property.

I'm skeptical about the Alexander plan being viable, but let's see it have its chance. It's a much better use of that space in that it brings residents to downtown AND it may also solve the grocery store problem. I actually wonder if this space is a better location for that urban-style Publix that has been "in the works" up by World of Beer for a long time. 

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Won’t get built. Inflation and interest rates are too high.

That's what I'm thinking as well. If this couldn't get built when interest rates were close to 0% I question the chances of it happening now, but I'd like to be surprised.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HRVT said:

There's no doubt Lidl pulling out will be a great thing, that was an absolutely atrocious use of space on that property.

I'm skeptical about the Alexander plan being viable, but let's see it have its chance. It's a much better use of that space in that it brings residents to downtown AND it may also solve the grocery store problem. I actually wonder if this space is a better location for that urban-style Publix that has been "in the works" up by World of Beer for a long time. 

I would love to see Publix there. Not sure if the site fits their demographics but that would be cool. Its amazing Greensboro proper doesn't already have a Publix. The only one is technically in Jamestown even though its a Greensboro address.

In other downtown news, a multifamily developer purchased a lot in the north end of downtown between the Tanger Center and ballpark. No details have been revealed but its likely the vacant building on the lot would be demolished for new construction residential. The building is next to Carroll at Bellemeade on 311 Battleground Ave.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2024/04/10/evolve-buys-greensboro-downtown-office-building.html

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, jthomas said:

The Alexander Company is the same company that recently completed the renovation of the Printworks Mill in northeast Greensboro, adjacent to Revolution Mill:

https://alexandercompany.com/projects/printworks-mill/

I agree that this is a much better outcome for the site than the standalone Lidl. Would be great to finally see something happen on this corner. At first, I had some reservations about the size of the proposed parking deck (530 spaces for 160 apartments). But it makes more sense if they are still pursuing a grocery store for the site. I also know that the city has been pursuing options for additional parking to serve the South Elm area, and this deck would fill that need.

wow, Alexander converted a prison I am familiar with into apartments!  that is quite impressive.  (and no I was not an inmate  just drove by it a lot in Lorton VA) 

as for all the negative nellies out there, interest rates won't always be what they are right now.  Everything in real estate is cyclical and with all the manufacturing jobs coming to the Greensboro area more apartments are needed.   I like the addition of apartments to that site and if the grocery store space is only 30,000 likely to be a Lidl that is too small for Publix even their urban stores are bigger than that.  Their urban format store in Raleigh in Smoky Hollow with 8 levels of apartments on top is 45,000 sq ft.  Or maybe a Sprouts.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

wow, Alexander converted a prison I am familiar with into apartments!  that is quite impressive.  (and no I was not an inmate  just drove by it a lot in Lorton VA) 

as for all the negative nellies out there, interest rates won't always be what they are right now.  Everything in real estate is cyclical and with all the manufacturing jobs coming to the Greensboro area more apartments are needed.   I like the addition of apartments to that site and if the grocery store space is only 30,000 likely to be a Lidl that is too small for Publix even their urban stores are bigger than that.  Their urban format store in Raleigh in Smoky Hollow with 8 levels of apartments on top is 45,000 sq ft.  Or maybe a Sprouts.  

For the right tenant, there may be wiggle room in the square footage.

Yes, if it stands at 30k sq ft, it wont be Publix.

Edited by HRVT
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, cityboi said:

Plus I just don't see Publix opening up a downtown Greensboro location. The demographics are not there yet for that kind of supermarket chain.

Yeah. I agree. I did see Publix mentioned in an article though. 

More likely Aldi or some other smaller store. Even IGA or something like that maybe.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:59 AM, HRVT said:

Yeah. I agree. I did see Publix mentioned in an article though. 

More likely Aldi or some other smaller store. Even IGA or something like that maybe.

It could end up being a Lidl still but Aldi is a possibly but not a Publix too small.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

It could end up being a Lidl still but Aldi is a possibly but not a Publix too small.  

OK? Not sure why this was said again. I literally said it won't be a Publix at the current size.

*IF* they expand the size of the store 15k sq ft, then maybe... but as I said, most likely not.