Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

Not a single tower crane up in downtown Greensboro or Greenville. Sad times. :( 

In Greensboro there will be at least two within the next 6 months or so with the completion of the Westin Greensboro on top of the deck and the start of construction of the AC Hotel.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The current owners of the News and Record property need to just demolish the buildings on the site and grade the land. A woman was found dead from a gunshot wound in one of the buildings. There are homeless campsites there. Visible human waste around the property and trash everywhere and even bundles of Newspapers from 2019 laying around the property. Not a good look for downtown and its a major safety and health concern. But the city needs to get to the root of the problem and do something about the homeless situation. Get some of them mental help and help get them back on their feet and find work because its not just on that property. Its throughout downtown particularly near the parks and parking decks. Something needs to be done with the property before the Ryan Companies considering buying the land for their project. I know there are some laws that the city could use that could make the owners tear down the buildings.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/former-greensboro-news-record-building-where-woman-found-dead-littered-with-trash-human-waste/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3MhDVpp_42a26s9RQMGhcTkYDnwVRSA3azeOSf7LabXAkF48Y_4EkHRxc

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

On 7/23/2023 at 2:51 PM, cityboi said:

In Greensboro there will be at least two within the next 6 months or so with the completion of the Westin Greensboro on top of the deck and the start of construction of the AC Hotel.

It’s just sad. Charlotte took them all. :cry:

The city of Greensboro has issued an RFP for a private company to run the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.  But what is interesting is what is included in the RFP. The discussed proposed downtown music hall and amphitheater and a soccer stadium. Several sites are being looked at for a downtown soccer stadium but there is a possibility it could be built at the coliseum. Hopefully they pursue a downtown stadium.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/city-issues-rfp-for-private-company-to-run-coliseum-complex/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

The Charlotte Urbanists and UP are planning a tour of downtown Greensboro this Saturday when about 25 people come up via Amtrak to Greensboro and the walking tour will start at noon on Saturday at the Amtrak station.  Mainly historical but will cover the new additions to downtown Greensboro join us if you like.  Start at the station then to S Elm then up Elm to the downtown parks over the baseball stadium then loop back down Greene St.  If you are interested message me or just show up but once the train from Charlotte gets there it's on!  The number of people already committed means it will be very interesting and would love some local insights.  They are excited about coming up to the Gate City.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The Charlotte Urbanists and UP are planning a tour of downtown Greensboro this Saturday when about 25 people come up via Amtrak to Greensboro and the walking tour will start at noon on Saturday at the Amtrak station.  Mainly historical but will cover the new additions to downtown Greensboro join us if you like.  Start at the station then to S Elm then up Elm to the downtown parks over the baseball stadium then loop back down Greene St.  If you are interested message me or just show up but once the train from Charlotte gets there it's on!  The number of people already committed means it will be very interesting and would love some local insights.  They are excited about coming up to the Gate City.  

I've already signed up! :)😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Natty Greene's building brewing facility next to its brewery/restaurant downtown. Will also include a beer garden and another bar area.

Video 

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/natty-greenes-in-greensboro-gets-ready-for-game-changing-expansion/

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/09/07/natty-greenes-plans-new-brewing-facility.html

brewery_900xx2048-1152-0-192.jpg

tables_750xx2048-1152-0-192.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-185426_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-185435_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-185449_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230907-185457_Chrome.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

Construction on the final leg of the downtown greenway will begin in a few months now that funding is in place. It will be complete this time next year. The final leg is on the western side of downtown between Spring Garden Street and Battleground Ave. It will be the most elaborate leg of the greenway costing $14 million.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/greensboro-city-council-approves-additional-funds-towards-greenway-project/amp/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

On 10/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, AlmaPinnix said:

Starbucks will construct a new location on the corner of Edgeworth and Market, where the old eyesore abandoned Hardee's used to be. I think this is a good use of that space and will possibly attract other corporate chains to do business downtown too (which is something Greensboro doesn't have much of).

The Downtown Starbucks at Edgeworth and Market is now Open!

o (1).jpg

o.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

I wish Koury Corporation would do more developmental work in Greensboro, specifically downtown.

Koury Corporation is one of the most successful development companies in Greensboro and has never done anything downtown. Joe Koury was a man of the "suburbs". Just think where downtown would be today if they had invested as much in downtown Greensboro as they have in other parts of the city. After Joe Koury died the company lost its vision for the city and today mainly builds small industrial sites and owns a lot of commercial properties. They haven't been involved with grand projects for the city since Joe Koury died. Roy Carroll is the Joe Koury of today's generation. The difference is he has invested heavily in downtown as well as in other areas of the city.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, cityboi said:

Koury Corporation is one of the most successful development companies in Greensboro and has never done anything downtown. Joe Koury was a man of the "suburbs". Just think where downtown would be today if they had invested as much in downtown Greensboro as they have in other parts of the city. After Joe Koury died the company lost its vision for the city and today mainly builds small industrial sites and owns a lot of commercial properties. They haven't been involved with grand projects for the city since Joe Koury died. Roy Carroll is the Joe Koury of today's generation. The difference is he has invested heavily in downtown as well as in other areas of the city.

I know the story, my Father worked under Koury before he died. I also spent a few holidays with the Craft brothers, which one of them is married to one of the Koury Sisters. It's just hopeful thinking! loi

Edited by AlmaPinnix

15 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

I know the story, my Father worked under Koury before he died. I also spent a few holidays with the Craft brothers, which one of them is married to one of the Koury Sisters. It's just hopeful thinking! loi

Koury started out as Kirkman & Koury in the 1960s and built a number of residential neighborhoods across the city including Woodmere Park and the Kings Forest neighborhoods in northeast Greensboro. You can always tell which neighborhoods the company built because the houses all have the same late 60s early 70s designs.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2