Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

7 hours ago, HRVT said:

To make any arena worth it IMO, the capacity needs to be on the higher end (closer to 5k seats). At that capacity, we might have a shot at getting an ECHL franchise in Greensboro as well. As it stands, Greensboro has one of the very smallest "arenas" in G League. Only the Lakers G League team venue in El Segundo is smaller while Wilmington is the same size.

The NBA G league is pretty solid in Greensboro. Its going no where. A new arena downtown would certainly boost attendance even more. Zack Matheny president of Downtown Greensboro Inc stated that the arena would have a walkable environment outside including an outdoor public space. I'd love for this to be built near the ballpark creating a sports and entertainment district but that would require assembling land from current landowners who don't have their land up for sale at the moment. The obvious location is the News and Record property and an adjoining plot. There would be enough room for a 5,000 seat arena with a small convention center as well as other mixed-use elements including residential, retail, office and possibly a hotel. That location would activate a dead section of downtown. I agree about hockey as well. The sport was very popular in Greensboro but ever since Greensboro lost the AHL Carolina Monarchs to temporarily become the home of the Carolina Hurricanes, the city hasn't secured a hockey franchise since. I just hope the architecture of the arena will make a statement for Greensboro even though it will be a smaller arena. As for funding, my guess is that the Greensboro Coliseum will become involved and they will fund it using hotel motel tax and will likely manage it as well like they do with the Steven Tanger Center.

Edited by cityboi

19 hours ago, cityboi said:

The NBA G league is pretty solid in Greensboro. Its going no where. A new arena downtown would certainly boost attendance even more. Zack Matheny president of Downtown Greensboro Inc stated that the arena would have a walkable environment outside including an outdoor public space. I'd love for this to be built near the ballpark creating a sports and entertainment district but that would require assembling land from current landowners who don't have their land up for sale at the moment. The obvious location is the News and Record property and an adjoining plot. There would be enough room for a 5,000 seat arena with a small convention center as well as other mixed-use elements including residential, retail, office and possibly a hotel. That location would activate a dead section of downtown. I agree about hockey as well. The sport was very popular in Greensboro but ever since Greensboro lost the AHL Carolina Monarchs to temporarily become the home of the Carolina Hurricanes, the city hasn't secured a hockey franchise since. I just hope the architecture of the arena will make a statement for Greensboro even though it will be a smaller arena. As for funding, my guess is that the Greensboro Coliseum will become involved and they will fund it using hotel motel tax and will likely manage it as well like they do with the Steven Tanger Center.

I didn't say the G League would relocate but a larger arena in a better location would be beneficial for both the city and the team. As for hockey, I'd personally prefer the arena be closer to 7k seats but 5k could potentially attract an ECHL team.

Various parts of downtown Greensboro South Elm is so lively even this Saturday morning.   It is interesting the scale changes from South Elm to North Elm from the older historical area with smaller buildings to the high rise office district of N Elm.  

20230610_102338.jpg

20230610_102520.jpg

20230610_102523.jpg

20230610_103908.jpg

20230610_104005.jpg

20230610_104048.jpg

20230610_104130.jpg

20230610_104157.jpg

20230610_104216.jpg

20230610_104258.jpg

20230610_104323.jpg

20230610_104403.jpg

20230610_104518.jpg

20230610_104533.jpg

20230610_104817.jpg

20230610_104903.jpg

20230610_105310.jpg

20230610_105529.jpg

20230610_105844.jpg

20230610_110145.jpg

20230610_110304.jpg

20230610_110333.jpg

20230610_110439.jpg

20230610_110556.jpg

20230610_111321.jpg

20230610_111430.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, DCB said:

Honestly a nice mid-rise floor for Greensboro would look really nice, but I've always been one who favors a dense skyline rather than a tall one.

This would certainly create some serious density. CityView residents will have a great view.

• Like 1

I just wish to see a urgency and manpower to start tearing down old rundown abandon buildings and witnessing cranes rolling in downtown. I just hope the City Officials will be a willing partner and work with the Planners vs. being a stick in the gear shifts and dampen these projects. Things move slow here vs Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte & Columbia, S.C. The Mayor said last week we are falling behind Raleigh, Cary & Charlotte, NO JOKE MAYOR, Glad you finally waking up and realize this {After 10 years}!

4 hours ago, P.SAUNDERS said:

I just wish to see a urgency and manpower to start tearing down old rundown abandon buildings and witnessing cranes rolling in downtown. I just hope the City Officials will be a willing partner and work with the Planners vs. being a stick in the gear shifts and dampen these projects. Things move slow here vs Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte & Columbia, S.C. The Mayor said last week we are falling behind Raleigh, Cary & Charlotte, NO JOKE MAYOR, Glad you finally waking up and realize this {After 10 years}!

Its just amazing how fast a huge Toyota plant can go up yet everything is snails pace downtown. They need to figure that out because it can kill momentum and deter developers. Everyday of construction costs them money and it's puzzling as to why downtown construction is so slow here but things pop up fast in uptown Charlotte or downtown Raleigh. They can no longer blame it on the pandemic which is essentially over.

Now the Ryan Companies are a different. I do believe they will get on the ball. But that all depends on whether or not the News and Record property is contaminated. Evaluation of the property could take up to 12 months but they have an aggressive timetable wanting to start construction by the end of 2024.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, P.SAUNDERS said:

I just read a small headline that Durham is planning to build a 27 & 12 Story Skyscrapers, they want to start around 2024 as well. They already have a 33 Story Skyscraper that are Condos. The 27 Story will hold 299 Condos as well. Wow!!!

It won't be long before Durham has a better skyline than Greensboro. Hopefully we'll see more tower proposals for Greensboro in addition to the two 10 story towers. Who knows what the Ryan Companies will have planned for property next to the News and Record site if they purchase that land as well. Clearly they take more risk building vertical which is something our local developers seem to be scared to do. But I guess the Ryan Companies have deep enough pockets. I still would like for Greensboro to finally top out at 30 stories downtown. I have a feeling we'll see a lot more from the Ryan Companies in our downtown. Roy Carroll has done great things for downtown but The Ryan Companies is next level. They are already investing in Northeast Greensboro and they acknowledged that Greensboro is an untapped market. Winston-Salem has Grubb who is building all over downtown there and Greensboro now has the Ryan Companies. Finally a national developer with deep pockets investing heavily in our downtown. But lets not forget a second national developer is involved with the News and Record property development partnering with the Ryan Companies. TH3 Partners based in Connecticut 

The outlined red area is the News and Record property which the Ryan Companies will develope. The outlined yellow area is adjacent property which the Ryan Companies would like to purchase.

They could easily put a mixed-use tower there with other development. It's probably in their best interest to purchase it anyway because it would be an eyesore sitting right next to their development on the News and Record property. There is nothing there other than a parking lot and and old warehouse building in decay. If I were the Ryan Companies, I would purchase the additional land, ask the city to close the section of Hughes Street which divides the two properties and turn that street into a linear public pedstrian plaza with outdoor art, cafe seating and water features. Maybe even include kisok type restaurants there like the two in Lebauer Park. The plaza could connect to a large staging area for events and festivals like the NC Folk Festival. As more and more of these properties get developed, the NC Folk Festival will need more staging areas. I'd rather see permanent aesthetic staging areas as opposed to the ugly circus tents in parking lots.  They can be used year round for evening music groups and even provide staging for more festivals downtown. You can actually see one of the Folk Festival tents in the photo below 

Screenshot_20230701_134339_Gallery.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

Here is a better idea of the scale and size of the twin 10-story towers that would be erected in Greensboro with 500,000 square feet.

The photo below shows an 11-story twin tower development in Southend in Charlotte which total has a little over 500,000 square feet. These are also modern glass towers like the ones the Ryan Companies are proposing for the News and Record site in Greensboro.  Because of the number of floors vs the square footage in the Charlotte towers, we can expect a very similar footprint in the Greensboro development. Hopefully the Ryan Companies will add some sort of a "crown/spire" or structural decorative top to boost the height even taller than 10-stories.

Vantage-South-End-Charlotte-New-Mixed-Use-Development_Carson-Office_Spectrum-Companies-Invesco.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

Greensboro downtown trolley begins next week. Interesting. Some years ago when I talked about downtown Greensboro needing a trolley, I said it should be called the Hopper. Either its an amazing coincidence or we have a number of city and local organization leaders reading these urban forums lol.  Appears to be a good place to drop ideas.

The service will be free.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/transit/downtown-trolley

Screenshot_20230715-085122_Chrome.jpg

33194.jpeg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

Charlotte Urbanists and some Charlotte Urban Planet folks are taking a trip to downtown Greensboro in August.  It will start at the Amtrak station downtown once the train arrives from Charlotte.  If you are interested sign up and it is free and we from Charlotte want to explore some of the things you are doing in Greensboro like onstreet dining, your new trolley and see how you revitalized your downtown.  Sign up and it is free.  Obviously locals and those nearby will not have to take the train LOL.  And we might have a few special guests from Gboro itself.  So show us your city and correct your the tour guide if they say something wrong.  Previous tours have been to Salisbury, Kannapolis by train, downtown Concord and various parts and neighborhoods of Charlotte.   Tour starts 12 noon  August 19 at Greensboro Amtrak station. 

https://www.meetup.com/charlotte-urbanists/events/294726694/   

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte Urbanists and some Charlotte Urban Planet folks are taking a trip to downtown Greensboro in August.  It will start at the Amtrak station downtown once the train arrives from Charlotte.  If you are interested sign up and it is free and we from Charlotte want to explore some of the things you are doing in Greensboro like onstreet dining, your new trolley and see how you revitalized your downtown.  Sign up and it is free.  Obviously locals and those nearby will not have to take the train LOL.  And we might have a few special guests from Gboro itself.  So show us your city and correct your the tour guide if they say something wrong.  Previous tours have been to Salisbury, Kannapolis by train, downtown Concord and various parts and neighborhoods of Charlotte.   Tour starts 12 noon  August 19 at Greensboro Amtrak station. 

https://www.meetup.com/charlotte-urbanists/events/294726694/   

Thanks for the invite! I will sign up.....

Btw the inaugural weekend for the trolleys were a hit. Right now its a pilot program funded by federal funds for about 6 months but the city said it could continue permanently. However it likely won't be free at that point.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/hopper-trolley-a-hit-for-riders-hopping-on-and-off-throughout-downtown-greensboro-riders-free/83-71ee4f08-1f46-45a3-9dbc-f1ce8a828043

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1