Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

10 hours ago, cityboi said:

The old AP store is about to be torn down at MLK Dr and South Elm Street.

img_1_1697653081495.jpg

These 7 story lofts are supposed to be built in its place.

view01 (3).jpg

This project needs to happen! It would solidify that intersection and create more re/development! This would increase the need for another grocery store in that area.

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 2

$800 million in the pipeline for downtown development projects some of which are unannounced. Also construction on Carroll's ballpark development with the AC Hotel will begin next year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/10/20/downtown-greensboro-restaurants-housing-tourism.html

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, cityboi said:

$800 million in the pipeline for downtown development projects some of which are unannounced. Also construction on Carroll's ballpark development with the AC Hotel will begin next year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/10/20/downtown-greensboro-restaurants-housing-tourism.html

couple quotes from that article

“I have said every time I've done this (update), ‘residential, residential, residential.’ Without residential, we don't continue to grow, “ he said. “When I started with Downtown Greensboro in 2015 I think we had about 1,800 people living in downtown. Today we've got about three 3,300, so almost doubled. And we're not stopping there.’

We've got over $800 million in the pipeline of planned projects. $800 million. That's amazing. Our tax base right now is about $1.1 billion.”

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

couple quotes from that article

“I have said every time I've done this (update), ‘residential, residential, residential.’ Without residential, we don't continue to grow, “ he said. “When I started with Downtown Greensboro in 2015 I think we had about 1,800 people living in downtown. Today we've got about three 3,300, so almost doubled. And we're not stopping there.’

We've got over $800 million in the pipeline of planned projects. $800 million. That's amazing. Our tax base right now is about $1.1 billion.”

I think once we get about 10,000 to 12,000 people living downtown, the center city will reach its "critical mass" for a lot of retail services downtown. That's when we start seeing stores such as urban Targets there. At that point downtown, which is a square mile would be the most densely populated area of the city.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Very impressive. I can't wait until the "exciting" things are revealed once they get permission from the developers. $800 million is a lot so there must be multiple big projects under development.

• Like 3

Zack Matheny gives another hint about some unannounced downtown projects. One of them is likely what the Ryan Companies has planned for the News and Record property but I can't wait for the announcement of the others. Could we finally see multiple skyline additions? $800 million is a lot so these are some very big projects. All the planned downtown development is probably a direct result of all the jobs announcements within the past year.

"We have a lot to celebrate this year, including a staggering number of visits to downtown, new business openings and tremendous progress on several large transformational projects for the future"

https://www.downtowngreensboro.org/articles/post/growth-momentum-and-robust-pipeline-take-center-stage-at-dgi-annual-celebration/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I would bet some kind of restaurant space.  It is hard to have a hotel or apartments that close to the tracks.  But great job Greensboro!  

I've tooted this horn elsewhere, but is the space big enough to possibly have a food hall? I can't imagine it would be able to host anything like Optimist Hall in Charlotte, but is it big enough to be like Stock and Grain in High Point?

• Like 2

I do know they were talking about a potential food hall at the other depot. I've always thought it would be a cool place for a blues club/bar.  If there weren't so many breweries nearby, that would be a cool use for it as well. But whatever the use, it needs to be something different. Not the typical bar or restaurant.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Greensboro city manager says the city is looking to build  a large live music venue, a soccer stadium and or an arena downtown. He said since downtown doesn't have a convention center it needs more venues to attract people downtown. He didn't mention how they would be funded exactly but my guess is through hotel/motel tax eventually under the umbrella of who ever manages the coliseum and Tanger Center.

"He envisions a future downtown entertainment district that includes the existing First National Bank Field where the Greensboro Grasshoppers play as well as a soccer stadium, a music hall or arena and a food hall."

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/12/14/tanger-center-coliseum-westin-soccer-tai-jaiyeoba.html

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

Former Greensboro mayor Robbie Perkins has ideas in to how to attract more development and office space downtown.

" Perkins sees health care, technology and the biosciences as areas of growth for downtown office space"

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/12/15/greensboro-jaiyeoba-marvin-price-robbie-perkins.html

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 3:15 PM, KJHburg said:

The last leg will be the most expensive and most attractive section of the greenway and will include a boardwalk of sorts next to a natural creek running through downtown.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lincoln Financial put some of their space in downtown Greensboro on the sublease market after determining that they needed less space given flexible and hybird working arrangements.   

From the Triad Biz Journal:

""Lincoln Financial Group is leasing space on six floors of one of the most prominent office buildings in downtown Greensboro amid an office market that has been seeing increasing vacancies largely due to the shift to remote work after the Covid-19 pandemic.

NAI Piedmont Triad recently all listed six floors of office space for lease in its building located at 101 W. Friendly Ave., part of the Lincoln Financial office complex. Also part of the complex is Lincoln Financial Group's 18-story skyscraper at Market and Elm Streets — which housed more than 1,500 employees before the pandemic.

The company's building at 101 W. Friendly Ave., which was built in 197 and fulling renovated in 2018, is 105,061 square feet and categorized as Class B office space.

According to NAI Piedmont Triad's listing materials, all six floors are available for lease. That includes:

8,136 square feet on the ground floor;
18,950 square feet on the second floor;
17,248 square feet on the third floor;
18,950 square feet on the fourth floor;
18,950 square feet on the fifth floor;
18,950 square feet on the sixth floor.
That's a total of 101,184 square feet of available space. According to the NAI's marketing materials, individual floors cannot be sub-divided.

A spokesperson from Lincoln Financial Group (NYSE: LNC) confirmed that the company's decision to lease the space is due to more employees working remotely since the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Lincoln Financial's facilities and real estate teams evaluate our physical locations on an ongoing basis to ensure they continue to meet the needs of our business and employees. During this review, we identified the opportunity to lease space in the Friendly Building of our Greensboro location," the spokesperson said. "This space was freed up following the implementation of a hybrid work model during the pandemic. Lincoln is partnering with local brokers to list the space for lease, ensuring the space is utilized to its fullest potential."""

this has happened all over the country and in all the major NC cities including Charlotte and Raleigh but still hate to see it as sublease space is like adding additional space on the office market but not anything newly built.  

• Thanks 1