CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

There are Greenville and Upstate books, but they are regional in interest and even then, they don't sell as well as lowcountry books.

Look, the Upstate is beautiful. Greenville is wonderful, but I really doubt if a Dad in Ontario is telling his kids that they are going to skip Hilton Head this year, or a family in Kentucky is not going to have that family reunion on the Isle of Palms this year, because they are going to Greenville instead.

Charleston isn't selling forests of picture books because of its metro size, it is selling them because of its history, quaintness and destination appeal.

You have hit the nail on the head. Charleston is a nice place to visit; Greenville is a nice place to live. :shades:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, the Upstate is beautiful. Greenville is wonderful, but I really doubt if a Dad in Ontario is telling his kids that they are going to skip Hilton Head this year, or a family in Kentucky is not going to have that family reunion on the Isle of Palms this year, because they are going to Greenville instead.

All that being said they are cases where dads or at least male leaders have told the same thing to their boys and it was exciting. In the 80's I worked at Camp Old Indian in Northern Greenville County and we had Scout Troops come from all over because they liked the weather, landscape and programs offered at our Camp as opposed to ones they had locally. We had troops attending from Florida, Texas, Arkansas, coast North and South Carolina, all parts of Georgia to name a few. In fact as far as South Carolina goes we had quite a few troops who came up from Columbia and Charleston. No offense to the Coumbia camps but I did go to it one time for an Order of the Arrow (Scouting Honor Society) regional event and I can understand why people would be inclined to camp elsewhere in the summer time with the heat, "chiggers" and sandy soil.

All that is nothing new people for the lower part of the state made a habit of visiting Greenville in the "old days" to escape the heat (pre air conditioning days) and other hot weather or tropical issues.

Visiting is one thing. We all find more historical places fascinating, large bodies of waters, different foods and a bigger party atmosphere interesting and who wouldn't want to visit the coast but really is the fact that people are coming here to LIVE a greater indicator of how great a place is? I can tolerate or enjoy a tourist town on the coast for a few days or a week but a crave and love being in the Upstate year round.

I think we should publish our own Greenville book. There is obviously a market for one, and we're all knowledgeable enough about the city to put our heads together. Or, we could pressure Michelin to do a real one for our city. :)

Well...I'm fairly new to this list, so I may be considered part of the "we" you mention...

I have published a book with History Press in Charleston called, "A Guide to Historic Greenville, South Carolina." http://www.historypress.net/index_forthcoming.php It is set to be available later next month. Greenville currently has had no tourist-friendly guide to the city (the CVB puts out a great guide, but this is different), so I thought this was a real need for our city...and apparently I'm not the only one (I hope). The book will have 3 different walking tours of downtown, 1 architectural tour, and 1 art and cultural treasures tour. There will be maps with each tour that will guide you to each location where you can read somewhat in-depth histories of historic sites and places of interest. I didn't just include old buildings--I also included things like Riverplace that are making history today. I can't wait until it's printed. History Press will be marketing it to all the big and small bookstores and hopefully to many retail places along Main St and around town as well. I will also sell it to those interested who come on my walking tours.

I hope you will enjoy!

Well...I'm fairly new to this list, so I may be considered part of the "we" you mention...

I have published a book with History Press in Charleston called, "A Guide to Historic Greenville, South Carolina." http://www.historypress.net/index_forthcoming.php It is set to be available later next month. Greenville currently has had no tourist-friendly guide to the city (the CVB puts out a great guide, but this is different), so I thought this was a real need for our city...and apparently I'm not the only one (I hope). The book will have 3 different walking tours of downtown, 1 architectural tour, and 1 art and cultural treasures tour. There will be maps with each tour that will guide you to each location where you can read somewhat in-depth histories of historic sites and places of interest. I didn't just include old buildings--I also included things like Riverplace that are making history today. I can't wait until it's printed. History Press will be marketing it to all the big and small bookstores and hopefully to many retail places along Main St and around town as well. I will also sell it to those interested who come on my walking tours.

I hope you will enjoy!

This is great! I had no idea something like this was in the works. I will definitely get a copy for myself. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as to when it is released and where we can find it. :)

This is great! I had no idea something like this was in the works. I will definitely get a copy for myself. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as to when it is released and where we can find it. :)

Mille grazie. I will definitely keep you posted.

As of now I have a lecture and book signing planned for June 17th at the Upcountry History Museum. Hopefully there will be more to announce in May. :yahoo:

^That sounds like a great publication.

Greenville, as a destination, is as Skyliner likes to say, a "hidden jewel" so to speak. I still hear two distinct categories of opinions of Greenville in Charlotte.... you have the people who love it and like to make day trips to downtown, and you have the people who have never had a reason to go (at which point I command them to).

Publications like this, and hopefully others in the future will start giving more space to Greenville. Its obviously unreasonably to expect the same coverage as Charleston or Myrtle Beach, but hopefully Gville will be able to grow its own niche/reputation over time.

Something like this would be pretty cool in Greenville. I see people (and kids) wearing these things all over the place around here.

I could easily see people collecting Jibitz for the City of Greenville (the "g" logo) itself, Falls Park, the Greenville Zoo, the Liberty Bridge, RiverPlace, the BMW Zentrum, Bob Jones University Museum & Gallery, Fluor Field at the West End, the Greenville Drive, Main Street itself, the Peace Center, Furman University, Caesar's Head, Table Rock, Paris Mountain State Park, etc.

I assume most of you have picked up a copy of the updated Michelin Greenville and Upcountry pocket visitor guides. What are your thoughts? I personally think they are a great improvement over the previous one that we all loved so much. The quality of material used is better and the print quality is vivid and colorful. The new guides also have labels for the photos so that readers will not be confused about what they are looking at. Overall, I say these are definitely worthy of local pride. :shades:

Something like this would be pretty cool in Greenville. I see people (and kids) wearing these things all over the place around here.

I could easily see people collecting Jibitz for the City of Greenville (the "g" logo) itself, Falls Park, the Greenville Zoo, the Liberty Bridge, RiverPlace, the BMW Zentrum, Bob Jones University Museum & Gallery, Fluor Field at the West End, the Greenville Drive, Main Street itself, the Peace Center, Furman University, Caesar's Head, Table Rock, Paris Mountain State Park, etc.

Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing this. Something I've been working with a man in Austin about is the possibility of an iPod tour that could be rented from a local hotel(s) or other store. This could also be translated to a CD for a driving tour.

Something else I've been toying with trying sometime is an Amazing Race/National Treasure type modeled event that will take people from one destination/clue to another in the city where they will solve things that will teach them unique things about the city and take them to interesting places.

Thoughts/feedback anyone?

Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing this. Something I've been working with a man in Austin about is the possibility of an iPod tour that could be rented from a local hotel(s) or other store. This could also be translated to a CD for a driving tour.

Something else I've been toying with trying sometime is an Amazing Race/National Treasure type modeled event that will take people from one destination/clue to another in the city where they will solve things that will teach them unique things about the city and take them to interesting places.

Thoughts/feedback anyone?

I love both of your ideas. The IPOD intrigues me the most. Would these be pre-loaded? Could the city somehow get behind this effort and establish some sort of download station at each site? Could the city have download stations in all the coffee shops? There seems to be so many positive opportunities with your idea. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this new web site which brings all of the fun recreational activities throughout Greenville County (City of Greenville, City of Greer, City of Mauldin, City of Simpsonville, City of Fountain Inn, City of Travelers Rest, GCRD, and SC State Parks) together under one site:

http://www.yourrecconnection.com/home.html

I love both of your ideas. The IPOD intrigues me the most. Would these be pre-loaded? Could the city somehow get behind this effort and establish some sort of download station at each site? Could the city have download stations in all the coffee shops? There seems to be so many positive opportunities with your idea. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, gsupstate. Sorry I didn't respond, I just saw this post now. The tours could be downloaded from a website directly to someone's iPod. The other way is to find launch points where people could rent the iPod tour with the tours pre-loaded in the iPods. Ideally this would happen from the local CVB, buy they've already said they don't have the funding for such a thing. So, my business partner in this venture is going to approach the downtown hotels to see if they would be willing to sponsor and to carry the iPods there for guests to rent them from. English is the first goal, but there would be an easy transition to Spanish, Italian, French, Chinese, etc. once the tours scripts are set.

Thanks, gsupstate. Sorry I didn't respond, I just saw this post now. The tours could be downloaded from a website directly to someone's iPod. The other way is to find launch points where people could rent the iPod tour with the tours pre-loaded in the iPods. Ideally this would happen from the local CVB, buy they've already said they don't have the funding for such a thing. So, my business partner in this venture is going to approach the downtown hotels to see if they would be willing to sponsor and to carry the iPods there for guests to rent them from. English is the first goal, but there would be an easy transition to Spanish, Italian, French, Chinese, etc. once the tours scripts are set.

Love your idea! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: For those using their own IPOD's, what a great keepsake of their visit to Greenville. The info would always be on their IPOD or could be burned to disk once they returned to their home city.

For those renting IPODS, aside from headphones, can I suggest an IPOD to car radio cable? Would be great to have, as so many cars have IPOD jacks now. The tour could be walking, driving, or any combination.

• 4 weeks later...

Just went to the CVB's Annual Meeting--

Victoria Dahl, the guest speaker, talked about their plans for the upcoming GO Experience facility in downtown Greenville and the Blue Wall Center. No specifics were given, other than they are planning to locate the GO Experience downtown near the river and the Blue Wall is on SR 11.

They are getting designs from about 50 different top firms to choose from. RhodesDahl has done some major projects like the Monteray Bay Aquarium. One of their big goals for both destinations is for their to be something about it that is signature and different from any other place--helping to make it a real destination in itself. I believe she said both locations will be about $10-15 million projects.

2009 is designing

2010 is construction

2011 is when it is scheduled to be finished

Just went to the CVB's Annual Meeting--

Victoria Dahl, the guest speaker, talked about their plans for the upcoming GO Experience facility in downtown Greenville and the Blue Wall Center. No specifics were given, other than they are planning to locate the GO Experience downtown near the river and the Blue Wall is on SR 11.

They are getting designs from about 50 different top firms to choose from. RhodesDahl has done some major projects like the Monteray Bay Aquarium. One of their big goals for both destinations is for their to be something about it that is signature and different from any other place--helping to make it a real destination in itself. I believe she said both locations will be about $10-15 million projects.

2009 is designing

2010 is construction

2011 is when it is scheduled to be finished

Thanks for the info. Is that #$10-15mm EACH or together??

That sounds awesome! Thanks for the update on this planned project.

Downtown's current set-up and developments/available land is bound to change between now and then, whether through projects that are under construction or planned. So, I guess it all depends on what's what when the design time comes around and what the goals of this center are...

If the goal is to attract more people up the river, then the Camperdown Condo site is a great one right on the bend in the River and adjacent to the Kroc Center and the new planned Mayberry Park or whatever the name will be. Also, the land next to Poinsett Corners is prime for development (due to this land's attractiveness for development, I'd almost rather the 'GO Center' tackle a more 'difficult' piece of land).

Since there's no real destination on the opposite side of the Liberty Bridge from Falls Cottage and the West End, maybe the land next to Bowater that current has office buildings would be good? The views from the Center into Falls Park would be stunning.

If they want to generate traffic INTO the center by locating it on an already bustling corridor, then Main Street has a few options. I think one of the most attractive to me is next to the Greenville News. A few storefronts already exist there, but the land between The Greenville News and Bowater/Falls Park is underutilized. Adjacent to a parking garage would be positive as well as just getting people down into Falls Park on that side of Main Street.

I like that it sounds as if the architecture will be spectacular. For that reason, separation from the Liberty Bridge would be a good thing. We've got some time, but I'm getting excited. :)

Thanks for the info. Is that #$10-15mm EACH or together??

EACH. Can't wait to see the architectural distinction. I should've written down some of the designers mentioned, but one was Sir Nicholas (something...I think the last name started with a W). Another sounded like Lake somethingorother. She said these designers are all very jazzed about it. In fact, something RhodesDahl is insisting on is that the top designers commit to the project from whatever firm is chosen. Even if the firm is a big name and has done fantastic projects, they won't settle for secondary designers--only the best. That was encouraging. :)

I thought you guys might be interested in this seeing how it involves this project: http://www.rhodesdahl.com/news_article.asp...ID=47&PID=7

Thanks for the link!

Some things that caught my eye were:

Will the design team be included in the site selection? If so, will there be a master planning exercise in

addition to the design of the specific projects?

The sites have been selected. The owner does anticipate a micro-planning process that will contemplate consequent

development options adjacent (or otherwise related) to the sites.

Are the budgets for Go Experience at $14 million and the Blue Wall Center at $18 million total project

budgets including site development, building, exhibits, films, design fees and other soft costs? Please

provide some additional breakdown if possible (such as an expected construction cost per GSF, exhibit

budget, site development budget, etc.)

The budgets are contemplated as total project budgets - including site work, soft costs, exhibits, etc. At this juncture,

RhodesDahl considers these estimates "approximations" informed by appropriation and fundraising efforts to date. Having

been recently engaged, RhodesDahl is embarking on a scope of work to lend more certainty to these budgets (including a

line item distribution of the budget elements). To the best of our knowledge, the owner has not previously conducted a

formal cost review. The owner

Really great info and great to see this coming to fruition. :thumbsup: Here is the story as featured in the GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../806040368/1003

One thing that caught my eye in this story is something that has been mentioned in several UP Threads.....an International Festival. This is something that I believe our friend Skyliner has brought up repeatedly. From the article:

R.P. Rama, an owner and vice president of JHM Hotels, likes the idea of the two projects, but he's looking for more.

"Greenville is an international city," he said. "In this diverse population, there needs to be an exchange of cultural and social events."

He said an International Festival would fit well in Greenville. It could include ethnic foods, dancing from various countries, a fashion show featuring national clothing, movies in foreign languages as well as handicrafts and arts.

"We would learn about each other's culture. You would have a purpose to go to Greenville -- to attend the International Festival," he said. "It would be like you're in Disney World. You could visit other countries without leaving Greenville."

Archived