CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forbes is a grocery store rag, unless it was talking about Charlotte or Myrtle Beach, right?

Uhh no. I highly recommend that you read this which I wrote about those kind of sources years ago. I will challenge you to find ANY post on this site where I have used a grocery store rag like this to trumpet up Charlotte or Myrtle Beach. Furthermore I also recommend that you stop with the personal attacks on people when you don't like what they post. If you are unable, for what ever reason, to stick to the point being made, then please don't post at all.

Forbes, a grocery store rag?!? Are you sticking by that too? :wacko:

Ditto.

• 2 months later...

It's official! The GO Center has an address!

The downtown GO Center will be located on the current Klingman Williams property on River Street, behind the Peace Center. The Blue Wall Center will locate at the old Camp Spearhead.

I think the downtown location seems perfect sitting at the intersection of the Reedy River, the Greenway, and River Street (with strong connections to the heart of the West End, and the City Center and Heritage Green).

A press conference will be held today to unveil the architect, etc. The opening date is projected to be 2011!

Excellent location for the DT center. I wonder if the existing building will be just rehabbed or will there be an addition? That site was also was to be the site of an artist's colony/studio type idea. I wonder if that is still in the cards.

I guess we will know more soon.

With the next phase of Riverplace now about to start, the tiing is good also.

Excellent location for the DT center. I wonder if the existing building will be just rehabbed or will there be an addition? That site was also was to be the site of an artist's colony/studio type idea. I wonder if that is still in the cards.

I guess we will know more soon.

With the next phase of Riverplace now about to start, the tiing is good also.

Judging from the renderings proposed at teh CVB's annual meeting a few months ago, it doesn't look like they will rehab the old building. They are lookiing for something very new and unique. If they use parts of it, I doubt it will be recognizible in the end.

Great stuff. I can't wait. Perhaps someone will dig up that entry I made earlier this year and turn the River St. bridge into a destination pedestrian bridge (a la the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, Italy). nudge, wink.

I'm hearing this is the architect they chose: http://www.studiogang.net/site/home.htm

That's certainly looks promising! :shades: Assuming that this will be at least designed and quite possibly built before phase 3 of Riverplace, maybe the really cool modern design can influence the Riverplace tower next door... Of course, ONLY playing off of the design ideas and not simply mimicking the scheme to take away from the GO Center.

Went to the Greenville CVB website looking for information and found these two links that are worth a good look at:

http://greenvillecvb.com/!UserFiles/do...chitect_TLC.pdf and http://greenvillecvb.com/!UserFiles/docs/BWC_GO.pdf According to the first link posted, Studio Gang has indeed been chosen as the architects. <ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_shades.gif' alt=':shades:'> The news of this even made it to Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/08/27/ap5363714.html

Here's the Article form the Greenville News

GO Center

One quote that is great to see is that they want the building to be "Iconic"

That caught my eye too. Must say, this was one of the better GV News articles I've read in awhile.....maybe because they quoted the architects and the architects had great things to say about Greenville.

I would really like to see a bit of the design element of Liberty Bridge incorporated into this iconic building.......keep some connection between the two icons.

• 1 month later...

Additions to Ceasaer's Head could be a great thing. More accomodations are needed for this time of year. I was up there today and it was packed. There was some good color, but I think next weekend will actually be the peak. While I was there, I was thinking about some of the plans though, and how they could really promote this park. It is certainly a treasure.

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen anything posted here about the GO Center downtown, but according to a recent speech by Knox White it will be completed by 2011. That should mean that construction will begin within the next two years.

White also cited the Go Experience Center, a $30 million tourist center on River Street projected to open by 2011.

I've always considered the renderings that I've seen to merely be conceptual. They didn't appear to be $30 million worth of building either... I'm not convinced that we really have seen a true depiction of what is in store...

Very true. Hope we are in for a nice surprise.

Archived