CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

This may have been brought up already, but after watching a segment on the Today show about the Airlines reducing flights and increasing fares, it seems as though this summer is the summer for Greenville really to capitalize on tourism.

I used to describe Greenville's proximity to Asheville, Charlotte, and Atlanta to outsiders to show just how close we were to those cities as easy destinations for us to visit, and never really so much the other way around. It then hit me that instead of getting on that flight to "x" for the summer, folks from those large metro areas can save money and come here. I wonder if the CVB has a plan to get those people who are on the fence about taking an expensive flight somewhere to choose Greenville instead.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to describe Greenville's proximity to Asheville, Charlotte, and Atlanta to outsiders to show just how close we were to those cities as easy destinations for us to visit, and never really so much the other way around. It then hit me that instead of getting on that flight to "x" for the summer, folks from those large metro areas can save money and come here. I wonder if the CVB has a plan to get those people who are on the fence about taking an expensive flight somewhere to choose Greenville instead.

This is a GREAT point! Greenville metro area residents need to view Greenville as a destination rather than merely a stop on the way to somewhere better. I think longtime Greenville residents (many of whom view Greenville the way it was 20-30 years ago) need to be especially careful about this. This isn't little 'ol "textile capital of the world" Greenville anymore!

Besides, always mentioning where we are in relation to other places implies that we are insignificant or have little to offer. If we are objective, we will all be able to confidently state that we have a lot to offer. We aren't a week-long destination, but we are a great weekend destination - and an even better place to live. :thumbsup:

In today's Journal was a Greenville CVB publication talking about their current projects and their accomplishments.

These are the upcoming conventions in town that involve more than 1,000 delegates:

Transforming Local Government -- 1,000

Southeast Greenhouse Conference & Trade Show, Inc -- 2,800

Gold Wing Road Riders Association -- 14,000

Leadership Team Development- Synergy 08 -- 12,000

Greenville Kennel Club -- 3,000

Eastern Outdoor Rep Association -- 1,000

Monroe Hardware -- 1,000

Philadelphia Church of God -- 1,000

Total for conventions will over 1,000 delegates: 35,800

I'd say this sounds pretty good, though I don't know how it compares to others cities of similar size and facilities, much less past convention numbers.

I had no idea the Carolina First Center was 40 years old... I guess I had just never really thought about it, but the new renovations look great from what I've seen! :)

• 2 weeks later...

While the same slogan could be used due to time, the same draw wouldn't exist IMO.

For Columbia residents, it'd be coming and experiencing basically the same thing that they have, but in a different format and mountains. Sure, quality, some offerings, and backdrop would vary. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to target Columbia, but I'd like to hear some input from others regarding this.

Atlanta just seems to contrast Greenville the right amount.

^I somewhat agree for Columbia. A major appeal in targeting Atlanta residents is that they get to escape the "rat race" for a weekend and wind down in a smaller city with less traffic, but with lots to do and see. The same could be said for Charlotte, but to a lesser extent. For Charlotteans who want a smaller city with a mountain backdrop, Asheville is the first choice, so Greenville would have to compete a bit in that regard.

^I somewhat agree for Columbia. A major appeal in targeting Atlanta residents is that they get to escape the "rat race" for a weekend and wind down in a smaller city with less traffic, but with lots to do and see. The same could be said for Charlotte, but to a lesser extent. For Charlotteans who want a smaller city with a mountain backdrop, Asheville is the first choice, so Greenville would have to compete a bit in that regard.

I do not see many similarities between Greenville and Asheville at all. Perhaps people from Charlotte could view the two as essentially the same, but in reality the differences are great in my opinion. <_<

I do not see many similarities between Greenville and Asheville at all. Perhaps people from Charlotte could view the two as essentially the same, but in reality the differences are great in my opinion. <_<

I don't think Charlotte residents consider Greenville to be in the mountains. Sure there is Paris mountain, but Charlotte has Kings and Crowders mountain which offers exactly the same thing, and they are not covered by bad development. Most people here who want a mountain vacation are going to either head to the Asheville area, or more likely the Northern NC mountains around Boone, Blowing rock, Baner Elk and Beech mountain. This is a major ski destination in the winter and all of these ski places offer stuff up summer vacations in the cool high mountains. Beech, which bills it self as the highest community in the Eastern USA rarely has temps higher than the 70s in the summer. This are is also the site of several major events during the summer such as the Southern Highland Games.

I don't think Charlotte residents consider Greenville to be in the mountains. Sure there is Paris mountain, but Charlotte has Kings and Crowders mountain which offers exactly the same thing, and they are not covered by bad development.

Could you please explain what you mean by Paris Mountain being "covered by bad development?" :dunno:

Could you please explain what you mean by Paris Mountain being "covered by bad development?" :dunno:

I think he is referring to all of the private homes built up along Altamont and State Park Roads. Ever notice there is no public space along Altamont Road for people to pull off and take in the views or go hiking? It's all private. :( Don't forget about all of the trash and spray paint where the cell phone/radio/tv towers are at.

I don't think Charlotte residents consider Greenville to be in the mountains. Sure there is Paris mountain, but Charlotte has Kings and Crowders mountain which offers exactly the same thing, and they are not covered by bad development. Most people here who want a mountain vacation are going to either head to the Asheville area, or more likely the Northern NC mountains around Boone, Blowing rock, Baner Elk and Beech mountain. This is a major ski destination in the winter and all of these ski places offer stuff up summer vacations in the cool high mountains. Beech, which bills it self as the highest community in the Eastern USA rarely has temps higher than the 70s in the summer. This are is also the site of several major events during the summer such as the Southern Highland Games.

I don't think your negativity has anything to do with this thread. I've yet to see evidence that anyone is suggesting that Greenville is in the mountains. A "mountain backdrop," which was suggested, does indeed exist. Not to mention, that this campaign only offers the proximity to the mountains as a small portion of the total selling point. Thanks for trying to once again bring us down, but it's not working and is not appreciated.

Nothing about this campaign specifically points to the geographic location of Greenville in relation to the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. Since this is presented by the financially strapped Greenville CVB, the aim is to attract people to Greenville's places of interest, not send them on to other areas. As a weekend getaway, the city is perfectly positioned to deliver an adventure-packed, yet relaxing and enjoyable time visitors from the larger cities can be thankful for.

Here is a link to the Greenville News article mentioned above. 'Greenville sees Atlanta area just '2/to' good for tourism'

I wasn't saying that the two are the same. I was just saying that when it comes nearby foothills/mountains cities, Asheville is the first choice for Charlotteans. Asheville also comes across as more "touristy," particularly with Biltmore and not-so-far-away attractions like Ghost Town in the Sky.

Nobody in NC is going to think of going to SC for access to the NC mountains.

The marketing campaign is being done in Atlanta which last time I checked was in Georgia not North Carolina. Also, nobody ever said the campaign is being done to lure people to the mountains. It is being done to lure people to Greenville specifically downtown. I'll get back to what you were saying though. You said "nobody" in North Carolina would think of South Carolina. Did you go around and ask every single resident in the state of North Carolina if they were thinking of going to South Carolina for access to the North Carolina mountains? Didn't think so.

Nobody in NC is going to think of going to SC for access to the NC mountains.

You have obviously not read the links in this thread, because if you had you would realize that the point of the campaign is NOT to sell people on access to the NC mountains. You must think people in Greenville are really stupid. Why would Greenville invest in a promotional campaign which focuses on luring people to the NC mountains?!?

There are several facets to the campaign. The major focal point will be the GO! Center in downtown Greenville. It will be a tourist attraction in and of itself, with interactive events, information, etc. It will truly be a center unlike any other (even in Charlotte, if you can imagine that). It will include area attractions - dining, shopping, lodging, sports, and outdoor activities including the nearby mountains. Which nearby mountains? Most notably the ones closest to Greenville, including Paris Mountain.

We all know that Paris Mountain, as well as some others close to Greenville, have a lot of unfulfilled potential. That is why a second tourist center, related to the "Blue Wall," will be constructed on Paris Mountain. This is in SC and would offer a lot of things without requiring that people go to the NC mountains. It would, of course, provide a gateway for those who wish to explore into NC as well. The nearby mountains are a part of what the upstate landscape has to offer, much as the Denver landscape offers the same. One focus of the campaign is to make Greenville a base from which tourists explore. And the idea is that regardless of what they are exploring - shopping, dining, mountains, etc. - they will find it in Greenville or very close to Greenville.

Both of these centers are going to cost tens of millions of dollars. They will be revolutionary, unlike anything seen in the Carolinas. The designers and master planners who have submitted proposals for this hail from all over the world. Many are extremely well-known and respected, so you know they would not waste their time if this were an insignificant local project.

The "2hourstoGreenville" campaign is totally separate from the GO! Center and Blue Wall center. It is yet another example of the ways in which Greenville and its local groups are going about marketing in the right way. Surely even a Charlottean can respect and admire that.

A response that boasts Charlotte's elite status and the wonderfulness of Myrtle Beach will be coming to a thread near you! :rolleyes:

I think the Greenville Convention and Visitor's Bureau has a good head on its shoulders. Things will only get better as more and more attractions come to the area, especially the GO Center. Even more reason to create that "Heritage Green Pass" for all the museums as more and more visitors discover Greenville... :)

While the current campaign is aimed at Atlanta, for obvious reasons, it can still work for other areas. The whole point of a vacation, even a short one, is to do something different and entertaining in a (hopefully) relaxing manner. That would apply to anybody. At current, normal highway speeds Charleston is only 3 hrs. away. They might like to see some mountains for a change. That is one of the ways Greenville grew to begin with. The 2 Hours to Greenville site shows pictures of Table Rock, Caesar's Head and mountain lakes under the outdoor recreation tab. Also they show a little local temperature entry just above the pictures and when you move the pointer over it you find it is the Caesar's Head temp.

This is a little off-topic but after looking at some maps I wonder what route people take from Charlotte to Asheville. I-85 is the obvious road to Greenville but it appears there are two different major routes to Asheville that diverge near Gastonia. Hwy 74 to I26 looks shorter but appears to have a 20 stretch of 2 lane road. Hwy 321 to I40 is longer but maybe faster travel.

... That is why a second tourist center, related to the "Blue Wall," will be constructed on Paris Mountain.
The "Blue Wall" center will actually be constructed on the former Camp Spearhead grounds, which are located right next to S.C. 11, "near" Caesar's Head, Jones Gap, and Table Rock State Parks. An additional center/attraction of some sort will be added to the Paris Mountain State Park area in the future to tie in with the other centers.

...The "2hourstoGreenville" campaign is totally separate from the GO! Center and Blue Wall center. It is yet another example of the ways in which Greenville and its local groups are going about marketing in the right way. Surely even a Charlottean can respect and admire that.
That is true, since this campaign is a small way the CVB can hope to capitalize on an already positively proven target market. The fact that Atlanta is the Southeast's largest metro does not hurt their prospect of success any either.

Some "interesting" post from the last several days above. :rolleyes:

As if on cue, Forbes just ran an article about the mountain region bound by Greenville to the South and Asheville to the North.

Great article. Written from the angle that this area is a must for the outdoors enthusiast wanting a second home.

Link to article:

http://www.forbes.com/fyi/2008/0616/054.html

Some "interesting" post from the last several days above. :rolleyes:

As if on cue, Forbes just ran an article about the mountain region bound by Greenville to the South and Asheville to the North.

Great article. Written from the angle that this area is a must for the outdoors enthusiast wanting a second home.

Link to article:

http://www.forbes.com/fyi/2008/0616/054.html

Good article, although I'm sure there are comparable developments on Kings Mountain and Crowders Mountain near Charlotte. After all, they are nearly identical to the mountains near Greenville!

Good article, although I'm sure there are comparable developments on Kings Mountain and Crowders Mountain near Charlotte. After all, they are nearly identical to the mountains near Greenville!

Forbes is a grocery store rag. That article ends with Homesites starting from $425,000.. If you think this is mountain nirvana then so be it. I stick by what I said.

Archived