CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

I too can sympathize with some of the lack of upstate representation in advertisement and marketing. I remember seeing these tourism commercials for Alabama, and they covered the state from the beaches to the mountains. It didn't just focus on one, or present a "just Birmingham" mentality; it actually coverad all areas of the state, and presented it as a place people would want to visit. I don't think there are any conspiracies against the upstate, I just think this is a product of the established past. The coast has pretty much always been the state's tourism "bread and butter," and people across the country are more familiar with MB, HH, and Chas. than Cola, Gville, or Raven Cliff Falls. I think the marketers are just using what they have always used, of course, this seems pretty short-sighted today. It would certainly be nice to have a more balanced and total picture presented. Interestingly, this parallels all the info in the travel books: 95% coast, 5% Cola. I even rented a SC travel video from the library (they heave one for every state), the closest it came to mentioning the upstate was to show some pictures of "Historic Edgefield" and talk about the politicians form there. It was almost ALL Chas/MB.

I am glad local leaders are planning to market Gville and the upstate more appropriately. However, what is the staus of their plan? It was proposed, what, a year ago? NO follow up plans, no "Go Centers", no expanded Mtn Bridge park, etc. The plans sound nice, but where are the steps? :dontknow:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how in the world we moved from talking about regional tourism to the creation of a new state. Firstly, I don't see why western NC, or (especially) the Charlotte region, would be interested anyway, as they already have a pretty good setup in NC (no threads/posts exist in the Asheville or Charlotte subforums about linking up with the Upstate and creating a new state) and would really have nothing to gain by going through such a painstaking, tedious process. Secondly, we've already been down this road before in the past and we're not going there again. So let's stick to the subject of tourism, shall we?

I don't know how in the world we moved from talking about regional tourism to the creation of a new state. Firstly, I don't see why western NC, or (especially) the Charlotte region, would be interested anyway, as they already have a pretty good setup in NC (no threads/posts exist in the Asheville or Charlotte subforums about linking up with the Upstate and creating a new state) and would really have nothing to gain by going through such a painstaking, tedious process. Secondly, we've already been down this road before in the past and we're not going there again. So let's stick to the subject of tourism, shall we?

I don't think anyone was being serious. It was merely another way to show our disappointment with South Carolina's state government. Just a fun idea to show dissatisfaction.

Whitehourseview-

1. We're not asking for the government to market the Soby's restaurants in downtown Greenville to the nation. That's private and shows nothing about Greenville. We're asking for representation that is due. The Upstate is not just Caesar's Head or Table Rock. It's a lot more, including the draw of Downtown Greenville, Falls Park, historic Plantations, Pendleton, Clemson perhaps, etc.

I think another issue is this: How easy is it to find information on various parts of the state? The coast is in your face from the moment you click on the website. If you have free time or are just a very curious person, sure you may venture to "Whitewater and Waterfalls", but you'll have to go more out of your way to find it.

Regional tourism has been the main point in every post you see. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way about our part of the state and its connection to immediate areas in neighboring states, but there are obviously more than a handful of people who feel this regional connection and want to discuss its potential as it relates to tourism efforts. This is a broad topic and legitimate creativity, whether clever or strange, should not be stifled or the whole discussion will die. Who wants that to happen? :whistling:

So you think the state should limit its advertisement efforts to the promotion of one industry type alone? That is a terrible idea and one that should be balked by voters across the state. Even a small amount of creativity can produce tremendous results as indicated in the rapid growth have been witnessing within the past 10 years. So to promote our state as a place to do far more than lie around on the beach would be excellent, in my opinion. Why not highlight major annual events in the Upstate along with its powerful economy and beautiful countryside (lakes, mountains, waterfalls, etc...)? We've got a heck of a lot more to offer than a lazy day on the beach. Advertising places to live would be better use of that money, in my opinion. If people shouldn't be made aware of this area because we aren't set up to support week-long visitors, then look at the many ways we can and do regularly accomodate short-term visitors who then decide to move here because they have fallen head over heels in love with the place. The way I see it, if such campaigning stretches our local resources to the limits, then we'll grow to accomodate the demand (duh). I have yet to see any indication that the Upstate has been a dead end for any of its visitors. No dead end, just a worthy destination.

What we are talking about is TV advertising to potential tourists. These ads play in Ohio, Michigan and such places. The state promotes the upstate to potential companies looking for a new location, just as it does the rest of the state. No one is going to drive to Greenville from Ohio to take in Southern Exposure unless they were coming already. These highly expensive ads are targeted to bring VACATIONERS (ie more than a one or two night stay). That is why they focus on areas that actually have enough to do to keep a tourist occupied for longer than a day or two.

Yes, we have mountains and lakes. Do we have a host of Bed and Breakfasts and nearby restaurants and other attractions within short driving distance? No. Again, no product, no need to advertise it. Develop the product first.

Regional tourism has been the main point in every post you see. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way about our part of the state and its connection to immediate areas in neighboring states, but there are obviously more than a handful of people who feel this regional connection and want to discuss its potential as it relates to tourism efforts. This is a broad topic and legitimate creativity, whether clever or strange, should not be stifled or the whole discussion will die. Who wants that to happen? :whistling:

Like I said, just keep the focus on regional tourism and let's not venture down the "Should we create another state?" road again, which has nothing to do with tourism efforts. Remember, we had a subject like that discussed here in the past and it went nowhere quick, and I don't want a repeat of that. No one's trying to stifle the conversation here (I'm the one that brought up the connection with western NC in the first place), just keep it in focus. Thank you.

Good point, though I still completely disagree with the notion that "we don't have it" yet. If Greenville is not an excellent base for an awesome excursion to any part of the region, then I must live in a different place altogether. :rolleyes:

I think marketing money would be best spent on TARGETED advertising, at this stage. TV ads reach the broad market. Do most people in the general population want to hike in the mountains? Given a one-third obeity rate, I'm guessing no. The better use of funds would be a full page ad in Southern living, or Men's Journal or Cycling magazine. That will reach the audience that is looking for those activities.

Here is a to-do list for getting leisure tourism off the ground in the upstate.

1) Put in place restrictions that will preserve the views and quality of Hwys 11, 276 and other corridors. At some point, certain negative development pressures will exert themselves on that area. Put the restrictions (ie no billboards, cluster businesses at primary intersections,etc.) in place NOW, before it gets to that stage.

2) Create a merchants association that coordinates and promotes tourism and accomodations. It will need to cross county lines and work on joint marketing and coordination as well as lobby for the APPROPRIATE use of bed taxes to generate more tourism. It also would partner on market advertising.

3)Build the "Go Greenville" visitor's Centers DT and on Hwy 11.

4) Create a new and complimentary 'major' attraction as called for in the Master Plan.

Again, we have a plan, it just needs to be executed. Onc ethat is done, we will have a complete 'product' which can then be marketed and even to some degree mass-marketed.

The POTENTIAL is DEFINITELY there. It just needs to be developed.

Like I said, just keep the focus on regional tourism and let's not venture down the "Should we create another state?" road again, which has nothing to do with tourism efforts. Remember, we had a subject like that discussed here in the past and it went nowhere quick, and I don't want a repeat of that. No one's trying to stifle the conversation here (I'm the one that brought up the connection with western NC in the first place), just keep it in focus. Thank you.

I beleive I said in one of my posts that the idea of creating another state was not feasible in our life time but if any tourism marketing should be done it should be done from a regional or district kind of viewpoint instead of statewide. Sure, a lot of what was said was way out there thinking but that is the crux of so called, "brainstorming" or mindmaping. Sometimes the real crazy ideas can inspire other ideas. I think the main point was that we don't have to always be bound by political boundries. The Internet and to a less degree this message board is a good example of that kind of community.

It's also kind of ironic that most of the state tourism things I have seen are only show up in local markets. It's a rare occasion you see another state saying come to our state. The only state I know of going whole hog with this is Tennessee but other than that I see a lot of "preaching to the choir going on". Why not a campaign that says, "See the Carolina's from a different direction, visit Western Carolina!" It's no worse that what we have now as I hear a lot of people from "away" getting North and South Carolina Confused not to mention places like Greenville and Greensboro (I saw a comedian here a few years ago and she keep talking about how great it was to be in Greensboro! :rolleyes:

I beleive I said in one of my posts that the idea of creating another state was not feasible in our life time but if any tourism marketing should be done it should be done from a regional or district kind of viewpoint instead of statewide.

That's the point I was making with my mentioning of the Upstate hooking up with western NC (which I've mentioned several times in other places before). However, a special tourism board encompassing targeted areas from both states would need to be created, but after thinking about it, I'm not sure how interested the western NC cities would be. From my perspective, it appears as though the state of NC gives western NC good coverage in terms of tourism, so for them, it might be duplication to embark on such an endeavor with the Upstate. But who knows what could happen as these regions really start blurring together (eg, the Cliffs Community project with Tiger Woods having connections with both Asheville and Greenville).

That's a pretty liberal figure. It's closer to a quarter, but it's still the most populous region of the state.

I'm not exactly sure how the duties of the state tourism department differ from that of local CVBs besides a statewide vs. local focus, but it sounds as though what's been cited in the past few posts (conventions, business travel, etc.) is the duty of the local CVB. I don't think New Orleans is an appropriate comparison here in terms of conventions; the convention industry does (or at least did, pre-Katrina; not sure how the city is faring now) well in New Orleans because people already go to New Orleans just to see the city and take in the local flavor and culture which encompasses everything from geographical location to music to cuisine. So even without the convention industry, New Orleans would still be recognized as a tourist hot spot. A better comparison might be Orlando or possibly Atlanta, which worked dilligently to carve out a convention niche by constructing venues, creating attractions, etc.

I think Greenville's best bet is, as I've been saying all along, to partner with western NC to promote regional tourism.

Its a 1/4 of the population, and 1/3 of the jobs in the Upstate... and thats just the 6 county Upstate promoted by the ACOG. If you expand that to the normal 10 county Upstate (including Union, Greenwood, Abbeville, and Laurens) I'm sure its a more.

Anyway- this more recent discussion has been an interesting read.

I'm not a fan of the West Carolina idea so much, but it IS fun to think about that kind of thing sometimes (What if...). But to the topic at hand- Tourism- I think we're missing one key element here, and its that the SC Lowcountry is something that is a unique natural area with a much longer history that the Upstate. Plus its the coast, which is a natural draw for people all over the world because there is nothing else like it anywhere.

The Upstate is not unique geographically. We have to realize that. The "Piedmont" region and terrain goes from Alabama up to New England. The Carolina Peidmont, which is a subset of that is somewhat unique, but its a large area. The terrain in Greenville is no different than the terrain here in Charlotte except that the mountains are a lot closer. Don't misunderstand me- I'm not saying its not special, but you have to be careful about what you're comparing (peidmont vs coastal).

What makes the Peidmont and SC Upstate a draw, quite frankly, is the cities more than anything. Greenville has established something special and people realize it. Thats why people go to Greenville. I hear friends and co-workers here in Charlotte saying thing might go down to Greenville, SC or something. I don't think they are saying that because they want a change of terrain. I just saw on the news here tonight that the #1 tourist attraction in NC is Concord Mills Mall. A mall folks. Of all the places in NC this is what is #1.

My point here is that the Lowcountry is spcecial becuase there is nothing else like it in the world. Here in the Upstate we have to deal with much more competition because there are other Peidmont Cities that want to do the same thing that Greenville and the Upstate are doing so well. Part of the problem is that in we the Upstate often talk regionally but we don't act regionally. Thats why I hope that the other Upstate counties will follow Greenville's leadership and create unique places of their own. If we can sell the Upstate cities as well as the natural environment then we WILL have something special. I think this is clearly already happening in Greenville. Its starting to in Spartanburg (but they haven't brought up the "T" word yet) and maybe the seeds have been planted in Anderson.

Its a 1/4 of the population, and 1/3 of the jobs in the Upstate... and thats just the 6 county Upstate promoted by the ACOG. If you expand that to the normal 10 county Upstate (including Union, Greenwood, Abbeville, and Laurens) I'm sure its a more.

Anyway- this more recent discussion has been an interesting read.

I'm not a fan of the West Carolina idea so much, but it IS fun to think about that kind of thing sometimes (What if...). But to the topic at hand- Tourism- I think we're missing one key element here, and its that the SC Lowcountry is something that is a unique natural area with a much longer history that the Upstate. Plus its the coast, which is a natural draw for people all over the world because there is nothing else like it anywhere.

The Upstate is not unique geographically. We have to realize that. The "Piedmont" region and terrain goes from Alabama up to New England. The Carolina Peidmont, which is a subset of that is somewhat unique, but its a large area. The terrain in Greenville is no different than the terrain here in Charlotte except that the mountains are a lot closer. Don't misunderstand me- I'm not saying its not special, but you have to be careful about what you're comparing (peidmont vs coastal).

What makes the Peidmont and SC Upstate a draw, quite frankly, is the cities more than anything. Greenville has established something special and people realize it. Thats why people go to Greenville. I hear friends and co-workers here in Charlotte saying thing might go down to Greenville, SC or something. I don't think they are saying that because they want a change of terrain. I just saw on the news here tonight that the #1 tourist attraction in NC is Concord Mills Mall. A mall folks. Of all the places in NC this is what is #1.

My point here is that the Lowcountry is spcecial becuase there is nothing else like it in the world. Here in the Upstate we have to deal with much more competition because there are other Peidmont Cities that want to do the same thing that Greenville and the Upstate are doing so well. Part of the problem is that in we the Upstate often talk regionally but we don't act regionally. Thats why I hope that the other Upstate counties will follow Greenville's leadership and create unique places of their own. If we can sell the Upstate cities as well as the natural environment then we WILL have something special. I think this is clearly already happening in Greenville. Its starting to in Spartanburg (but they haven't brought up the "T" word yet) and maybe the seeds have been planted in Anderson.

Good thoughts, Spartan. :thumbsup:

Like you, I do not really care for the tourism partnership with western North Carolina. Someone earlier (linkerjpatrick perhaps?) said that they feel a connection with Asheville and western NC. I don't. The mountains are pretty, and Asheville is a unique place, but I have never felt that the upstate has much in common with western NC. I notice a lot of differences - politically, the type of people, the metro areas, etc. No similarities really stand out to me, other than the fact that the Blue Ridge Mountains sort of bridge the two.

I also think you have a valid point about the upstate terrain not being unique geographically. I also agree that people are visiting the upstate largely for the cities and not the landscape (which I think is a very good thing). But having the mountains as a backdrop certainly help!

I disagree with your statement about the lowcountry being special because there is nothing else like it in the world. What exactly is so special about the lowcountry, or all of the SC coastline for that matter? I can go to plenty of beaches along the east coast, many of which I would argue are just as good (if not better) than the ones we have in SC. There are plenty of marshes in other coastal areas of the country, so SC does not have a monopoly on that. I suppose Charleston and Myrtle Beach are unique, but because of the cities themselves rather than the terrain. Are they any more unique than Greenville or Columbia? I'm not so sure. What they do have going for them, though, is that they are way ahead when it comes to tourism. They have both done a great job capitalizing on that, and the upstate can take note of their successes while also improving upon their mistakes.

I disagree with your statement about the lowcountry being special because there is nothing else like it in the world. What exactly is so special about the lowcountry, or all of the SC coastline for that matter? I can go to plenty of beaches along the east coast, many of which I would argue are just as good (if not better) than the ones we have in SC. There are plenty of marshes in other coastal areas of the country, so SC does not have a monopoly on that. I suppose Charleston and Myrtle Beach are unique, but because of the cities themselves rather than the terrain. Are they any more unique than Greenville or Columbia? I'm not so sure. What they do have going for them, though, is that they are way ahead when it comes to tourism. They have both done a great job capitalizing on that, and the upstate can take note of their successes while also improving upon their mistakes.

Beaches aren't unique. The islands, marshes, spanish moss, resurection ferns, ancient oaks, wildlife, plantations, gullah culture, etc. are what make it unique.

I know there is a "What is greenville missing" thread, but I am thinking on more of a non-up'ers philosophy here. What does gville need (especially in DT) to put it on the "tourism map." If the average Joe or Jane from anywhere in the country came to gville, what would they say it needs as far as a "tourist attraction" or entertainment/cultural/cullinary/etc elements or ingredients that would help it look and feel like a true tourist destination? Or what are some things that people look for when touring a city or region that Gville doesn't have yet?

I disagree with your statement about the lowcountry being special because there is nothing else like it in the world. What exactly is so special about the lowcountry, or all of the SC coastline for that matter?

From my perspective, what distinguishes the Lowcountry is culture. That stretch from Charleston to Savannah is quite unique in that regard, and when you add up the combination of distinctive elements that exist within that stretch (historic urban cities, geography, cuisine, etc.), it does have a uniqueness that can only be compared with New Orleans as far as America is concerned.

I know there is a "What is greenville missing" thread, but I am thinking on more of a non-up'ers philosophy here. What does gville need (especially in DT) to put it on the "tourism map." If the average Joe or Jane from anywhere in the country came to gville, what would they say it needs as far as a "tourist attraction" or entertainment/cultural/cullinary/etc elements or ingredients that would help it look and feel like a true tourist destination? Or what are some things that people look for when touring a city or region that Gville doesn't have yet?

The average Joe would be thinking in terms of an aquarium or a large, significant museum for starters. I think Greenville could be successful at creating its own version of Charlotte's Levine Museum of the New South.

The average Joe would be thinking in terms of an aquarium or a large, significant museum for starters. I think Greenville could be successful at creating its own version of Charlotte's Levine Museum of the New South.

I agree about the museum/aquarium idea. I feel like aquariums are so overused, though. The New South museum sounds both interesting and fun, to me anyways. Great Idea!

I'd also still really like to see what someone posted in another thread of a pole with all the other Greenville's listed with their distance and direction. Not so much a tourist 'draw' but something that tourists and locals would enjoy looking at.

Bob Jones should move their entire art museum downtown. I'm sure that the little extension at Heritage Green is great, but come on now. I know it may be off campus, but it'd be good for the students to get out and see the world every now and then. But maybe we don't want them so integrated with the rest of the city... :ph34r: jk. But it's such a great collection and they could make a lot more off of admissions I'm sure if it were downtown. Just a thought.

I think further developing Heritage Green as a destination (like the National Mall and the Smithsonian Museums in DC) for cultural things would help. It also needs to be better connected to Main Street (which is in the works to some degree) and the West End.

The GO Center will help for sure. I think what would also be nice is something like what they have here in Genova. They have a building that is for free exhibits. It's a large open building that is open for free during the day and features traveling art exhibits and other such things. Catching some exhibits that the Art Museum may not have enough space for or don't fit the Art Museum's criteria whatever that may be... Also, showcasing some Clemson students' work, local high school students' art, Governor's School students' work, and the work from the Fine Arts Center would be cool. And if it were free that'd be even better. And it'd be best for it to be near a high traffic area near Main, the River, or the West End would be more ideal than HG at this point in time I would think. Just a thought.

The Greenville CVB is planning to launch its new website on September 1, according to the current edition of the Greenville Journal (TBA with John Boyanoski). I am anticipating this and hoping for great improvements. :shades:
Well this obviously has not happened yet, so hopefully they are working out all the kinks ahead of time. Delaying its launch date is not a good way to start the campaign.

http://www.greatergreenville.com/visitors/cvb.asp

This article from The Greenville News reports that the state is giving the Myrtle Beach area $5 million this fiscal year for marketing:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0/1003/BUSINESS

So evidently the state does get involved in local tourism. I wonder how much money Greenville will be getting this year?

Yes, I have been watching this news on News 13 WBTW (Florence-Myrtle Beach) this morning and am interested to know the same.

Greenville defintely needs to get onboard before the remaining $5mm is used up.

I'm not sure what "Greenville' is referring to by local tourism. I would expect this is money the local bureau will use to get out-of-staters to come visit.

$5 million could 'GO' a long way toward building the tourist center downtown...

Archived