Richmond in Pictures III

mclawsdrive

Thanks, source, for your pictures of the major fire in the Gallery section on West Broad Street yesterday.

It sure looks to me that the structure was built as one building with three bays, don't you agree?

1708 Gallery, 2 doors east of the fire, is planning a major show in a few days and had stored almost all of the works to be displayed in their gallery. Let's hope they did not get damaged. The gallery is separated by one bay from the fire site.

Has anyone heard whether or not the building can be salvaged?

Edited by burt

It appers the upper floors of the builing were gutted. The facade looked ok aside from the missing windows and charred paint. The rest of the walls of the building were still standing, so I would assume they could rebuild within those walls. If they happened to have gotten weakened in the fire, then I suppose the least they could do would be to save and reinforce the facade to keep the looks of the building as a whole.

Good pics! I knew it was a fire! Fires are so depressing though. Maybe it was the smoke, but I got tears in my eyes when I watched that "unoccupied" house on Grove and Harrison burn in January.

While visiting a friend in the Carver neighborhood last night, I witnessed an incident that was probably directly spurred by the fact the police and other emergency vehicles were heavily occupied with the fire incident.

Directly witnessing the crime in our city really makes you put things in perspective and realize how unsafe things can be... and even why Richmond makes rank in the nation's most dangerous cities.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started "phase 1" in organizing my pics. Between May 2004 and March 20, 2007, I have 9.08GB of pictures, 20,692 of them over a course of about 146 - 147 days. Now to relabel, replace on disc, and upload.

Great shots Tommy! Thanks for the update on Rockett's

Here's some I took over the weekend. This first batch is from a trip to Belle Isle on Friday afternoon. It was such an awesome day. There's more coming from Church Hill and the Irish Festival :)

Richmond3-23-2007001.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007002.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007003.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007004.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007005.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007006.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007007.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007008.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007009.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007010.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007011.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007012.jpg

Quack Quack

Richmond3-23-2007013.jpg

Dominion Energy Trading Floor at Dominion Resources' riverside complex

Richmond3-23-2007015.jpg

New Market HQ

Richmond3-23-2007016.jpg

Overlook Townhomes in Oregon Hill

Richmond3-23-2007017.jpg

Richmond3-23-2007018.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed them, I'll post the rest in a few minutes.

Last but not least, Part III from today. Hope you've enjoyed :thumbsup:

Random shots in Church Hill... still walking back to the car :)

IrishFestival2007042.jpg

IrishFestival2007043.jpg

IrishFestival2007044.jpg

IrishFestival2007045.jpg

IrishFestival2007046.jpg

IrishFestival2007047.jpg

IrishFestival2007048.jpg

IrishFestival2007049.jpg

IrishFestival2007050.jpg

Ahh and last but not least, here's a video I took using my digital camera... not the best quality, and I apologize for the apparent glare, but it at least gives a feel for the festival.

th_IrishFestival2007055.jpg

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Oh, boy! All these pix were a joy to behold -- from the exquisite flowers at Agecroft gardens, to Rocket's Landing; to shots of the fierce looking James River and Belle Isle; to the extensive coverage of Church Hill and the Irish Festival.

Many thanks TBurban and Wrldcoupe4.

Question, Coupe: Were shots of the cliff-climers on Belle Isle taken at the quarry on the island and not on the riverfront?

PS: I couldn't get your video to work, Coupe. Is there something I have to click to activate it?

Edited by burt

Thanks guys... Burt, the climbers were at the old quarry that has the small "lake" now. The video should work it you just left-click on it.

Thanks, Coupe. I didn't realize it would be that simple to activate the video! :rofl:

I really enjoyed it. Wish it were longer.

Edited by burt

i have been taking pictures of a model friend, and we are trying to find various locations around Richmond that will be interesting to capture on camera.

Things like the old city locks, terminal, agecroft, jefferson park, maymount park, byrd park, canal walk, belle isle, st johns i have down on my list.

anything hidden, out of the way, that is interesting?

You basically have it down. Va War Memorial, State Capitol (when it's finished), maybe some sites in Manchester, Powhatan Hill Park.... but hidden stuff, what kind of pictures are you trying to do? Because there are a lot of historical places that are hidden but they are also private residences or properties.