Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

Does anyone here know anything or anyone with streetlights in Charlotte?  CDOT has a mis-mash of lighting types on streets around the Bearden Park and BB&T Ballpark.  Some are LED, some are sodium vapor.  Likewise, some of uptown (a good part of College St) is lit with LEDs, but the rest of uptown is still sodium.  Is there a method to the city's (and Duke Power's) madness?  

On a related note, I just returned from a biz trip to Los Angleles, Des Moines, and Auburn, AL where nearly every major street I drove on in all three cities had LED streetlights.  Even my hometown of Cheraw, SC has replaced its sodium and mercury lights with LED.  Why can't Charlotte do more than one street?

I think the LED's are still 'experimental' and are only located around the convention center and arena since their installation was tied to the DNC in terms of timing. Duke doesn't do well with "non-standard" anything, so I'd be surprised if anything changes city-wide anytime soon.

5. I-77 (Reconstruct interchange to DDI; NC-150)

9. I-85 (Modify interchange; US-321)

13. US-74 (Upgrade Corridor to Provide Additional Capacity and Safety Improvements. Includes Improvements to extend Krefeld Drive from existing Krefeld Drive to Sardis Road North, and improvements to Arequipa Drive/Northeast Parkway from Margaret Wallace Road to Sam Newell Road)

16. I-85 (Widen to 8 Lanes; NC-273 to US-321)

18. I-485 (Construct one Express toll Lane in Each Direction within the Existing Median; I-77 to US 74)

19. Billy Graham Parkway (Upgrade At-Grade Intersection to Interchange; West Boulevard)

21. US-74 (Upgrade Corridor to Provide Additional Capacity and Safety Improvements.  Includes Improvements to Krefeld Drive/Independence Pointe Parkway from Crownpoint Executive Drive to Sam Newell Road, improvements to Northeast Parkway from Overcash Drive to Matthews-Mint Hill Road, improvements to Independence Point Parkway from Same Newell Road to NC 51, and improvments to Independence Pointe Parkway from Matthews-Mint Hill Road to Campus Ridge Road)

28. Billy Graham Parkway (Construct Grade Separation at the intersection of SR 5901 (Billy Graham Parkway) and Morris Field Drive)

36. I-85 (Add Additional Lanes; Lane Street to US 29/NC 152 Connector)

61. US-74 (Construct interchange; Dekalb Street)

64. US-74 (Widen to 6 Lanes with Median, Curb and Gutter, Bike Lanes and Sidewalks.  Project Limit Is from Hanover Drive to approximately the western City Limits For City of Monroe)

80. I-77 (Add General Purpose Lanes; NC 115/US 21 to I-40)

90. I-77 (Add General Purpose Lanes; West Catawba Avenue to NC 150)

100-103. Shelby Bypass (Pleasant Ridge Road to Stoney Point Road)

127. US-74 (Monroe Bypass (R-2559) to Rockingham Bypass (R-512). Upgrade to Freeway Standards with Bypass of Wadesboro)

165. Gaston Garden Parkway

Here are the Charlotte projects from the draft prioritization rankings. Overall, I'll say most of the important transportation projects in the Charlotte area ranked really well. Though, it's odd that I don't see anything from I-77 in South Charlotte. I guess that will be added later in (this is just a draft).

So this is actually happening. Cintra Infraestructures has been selected to add managed lanes to I-77 from exit 11 (Brookshire Fwy) to exit 36 (Mooresville). It's not clear how many additional lanes they're talking about, but I would have to think it's going to be an 8-lane interstate at least as far as Davidson. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/04/11/nc-dot-eyes-bid-to-ease-i-77-congestion-in.html?ana=twt

"Construction as soon as December with completion in 2018"

In addition to what toz posted, the NCDOT has awarded a $187 million to Blythe Construction to widen 8 miles of I-85 from north of NC 73 (exit 55) to just north of Lane Street (exit 63). Construction won't start until next spring since the contractor needs to secure the required permits. Construction should be completed by December 2017. https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=9726

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 1

^ I'm not sure either why they couldn't just widen the rest of 85 up to the China Grove exit and be done with it. It may be because they can only widen an 8 mile segment at one time but I don't know. Maybe someone knows the reason why they are only widening up to the exit 63?

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 1

So this is actually happening. Cintra Infraestructures has been selected to add managed lanes to I-77 from exit 11 (Brookshire Fwy) to exit 36 (Mooresville). It's not clear how opmany additional lanes they're talking about, but I would have to think it's going to be an 8-lane interstate at least as far as Davidson.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/04/11/nc-dot-eyes-bid-to-ease-i-77-congestion-in.html?ana=twt

"Construction as soon as December with completion in 2018"

8 lanes to Exit 28, and 6 lanes to Exit 36. However, there will remain only 2 free general purpose lanes north of Exit 23.

Edited by southslider

^ I'm not sure either why they couldn't just widen the rest of 85 up to the China Grove exit and be done with it. It may be because they can only widen an 8 mile segment at one time but I don't know. Maybe someone knows the reason why they are only widening up to the exit 63?

That section was unfunded. According to the new preliminary ranking for new transportation projects, that section was ranked at 36, meaning it's possible construction could start sometime this decade. So, if all goes well, once the newest section of I-85 is completed, work on the next section can commence.

That section was unfunded. According to the new preliminary ranking for new transportation projects, that section was ranked at 36, meaning it's possible construction could start sometime this decade. So, if all goes well, once the newest section of I-85 is completed, work on the next section can commence.

Things have moved along quite well for I-85. I'm pretty sure just a few years ago both sections of this project were on the 2020 horizon (same goes for the now finished Yadkin Bridge and current widening).

And it seems like we might as well get used to "managed lanes" and tolls. Some of the top projects include widening I-540 north of Raleigh to eight lanes and converting the whole section to tolled, adding "managed lanes" on I-40 west of Raleigh, and adding express toll lanes on I-485 from I-77 to Independence. Don't forget I-95's future either.

However, I still can't figure out who managed to get the $370 million US 64 Asheboro bypass to be let this year as a design-build project (since you need to connect a two-lane country road to a freeway), or why the US 74 Shelby bypass started construction last year and won't be finished before 2030.

But I'm glad we have "priorities" now.

Things have moved along quite well for I-85. I'm pretty sure just a few years ago both sections of this project were on the 2020 horizon (same goes for the now finished Yadkin Bridge and current widening).

And it seems like we might as well get used to "managed lanes" and tolls. Some of the top projects include widening I-540 north of Raleigh to eight lanes and converting the whole section to tolled, adding "managed lanes" on I-40 west of Raleigh, and adding express toll lanes on I-485 from I-77 to Independence. Don't forget I-95's future either.

However, I still can't figure out who managed to get the $370 million US 64 Asheboro bypass to be let this year as a design-build project (since you need to connect a two-lane country road to a freeway), or why the US 74 Shelby bypass started construction last year and won't be finished before 2030.

But I'm glad we have "priorities" now.

Honestly, I think the new list of priorities is quite a bit better than the old one. Not perfect but a step in the right direction.

For the Asheboro bypass, traffic does get pretty bad on US64 through Asheboro- just as bad as through Shelby. The US64-NC49 corridor is supposed to be improved quite a lot and become a main route between Raleigh and Charlotte.

I agree the I-85 gap in China Grove should probably have come first, but it was prioritized and let under the old prioritization scheme. It is rightfully ranked pretty highly on the new list (#36 on the statewide tier)

• 4 weeks later...

The White House wants to lift ban on interstate tolls:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/us/white-house-wants-to-lift-ban-on-interstate-tolls.html?_r=1

This currently doesn't relate to Charlotte or any of its interstates, but it could have an impact in the future. It should also be worth noting that I-540 in Raleigh and I-95 are two interstate roads in the state that NCDOT wants to turn into toll roads to help finance widening and repairs. The one Interstate in our region that could be affected is I-77 in south Charlotte. Costs to widen and improve I-77 from uptown Charlotte to the SC line are estimated near $1 billion. I always imagined that widening would require HOT lanes for any new lanes built in that section, but if (or once) the ban on tolling is lifted, I wonder if NCDOT officials would look at tolling the whole thing to help keep costs down. I could only the backlash if something like that happens (especially after how north Meck/Iredell towns reacted to the HOT lanes planned on I-77 north of uptown).

This will be a pain in the ass, that the right will despise, but is probably a very sound policy for the country.  Within Charlotte it has been obvious that the best way to build the freeway infrastructure necessary is to use tolls, especially now that stops are unnecessary.  

It will lead to the roads we drive on being expanded and maintained more readily, too, I believe as busy roads will have higher revenues.  

It also reduces the amount of self-fulling congestion, where the freeway allows people to drive more VMT which in turn results in more congestions both on the new road and the bottlenecks downstream. 

Please build tolls in south Charlotte, please build tolls in South Charlotte.

Preferably right at the border. (no offense to any South Carolina folks at all... I just think it makes sense for us as much as it makes sense for other border cities)

• Like 1

Well, that should not really happen.  It is awkward to be on a city at a state border because there always seems to be people dodging taxes by living across state lines.  Yes it is frustrating, especially with so many NC residents crossing to SC to dodge the taxes that benefit their own state.  But that is truly what the Inter-State highway system was trying to prevent, but giving most funds from federal sources.   

I think the better approach is to continue with the approach planned in North Meck for 77.  Make any expansions toll lanes or HOT lanes, but retain the original capacity as free lanes.  That way, almost all people can travel free at times of day when the highway is little used, but at peak times that crush the transportation system, the added capacity is used by people are paying more.  It allows the roads to be used more efficiently, because it avoids becoming a massive subsidy for sprawl, like what happened in the late 20th century.  

• Like 1

Yeah, 85 seems to have escaped the HOV/HOT planning process by earning full widening funds earlier than NCDOT was starting to find ways of using HOV lanes.  It would be very hard politically to convert standard lanes to HOV/HOT, but in retrospect one should have always been planned.   But it would be an interesting change of American culture if ALL interstates become tollways.   It might actually help return rational decision making to people's commute, reducing some people's accepting a freeway commute in from exurban sprawling bedroom communities .

• 2 weeks later...

The $800m Monroe Bypass gets the go-ahead...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05/16/4914470/nc-gets-go-ahead-for-work-on-monroe.html#.U3ZQz9JdV8E

BRING ON THE SPRAWL!

I actually wonder if being a toll road would help prevent sprawl. Still though, this is just one step closer to connecting Charlotte with Wilmington. But if anybody wants to bypass Monroe without paying tolls, there is still NC 218.

• Like 1

The $800m Monroe Bypass gets the go-ahead...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05/16/4914470/nc-gets-go-ahead-for-work-on-monroe.html#.U3ZQz9JdV8E

BRING ON THE SPRAWL!

I haven't been so angry in my car in years until last Thursday when I tried to head to the beach, so I am all for this. Indian Trail through Monroe has to be my least favorite place on earth. 

• Like 1

I haven't been so angry in my car in years until last Thursday when I tried to head to the beach, so I am all for this. Indian Trail through Monroe has to be my least favorite place on earth. 

$800m for a 30 minute time saver to the beach doesn't seem like a good use of resources.  And to all the people ecstatic that live out there, all that road will mean is more development and then they'll be back to the same spot they are now in 15 years.  Maybe they can make a Monroe Bypass Bypass then.  

Like melk said, put that dough toward the Silver line, or heck build a commuter line out to Monroe.  Encourage healthy urban growth!  This thing will just build sprawl.

ProjectMap.pdf