Traffic Congestion and Highway Construction

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Skyybutter said:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic-index/ranking/

I just spent way to much time on this site. It is insane the traffic data they have! Real time included. Anyone else familiar with this site?

Actually I agree with this list.  I do think Nashville for example is more congested than Charlotte and I have said the same about Charleston even though it is a much smaller metro.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Actually I agree with this list.  I do think Nashville for example is more congested than Charlotte and I have said the same about Charleston even though it is a much smaller metro.  

I'm more interested in watching how traffic is quickly reaching pre-covid levels in major cities. Looking at yesterday, Charlotte suddenly saw a huge swing in traffic congestion.  Check out Austin though! Wow.

• Like 2

Really cool Tool that Tom Tom Site is.  I guess this means we actually need to appreciate NCDOT for their work expanding existing road network capacity and building new highways throughout the State.  I'd still like to see even more focus on NC Urban Areas and better funding to support Rail Transit (commuter & local) from them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

As someone who lives in Lexington, KY (about an hour and half south of Cincinnati, but have traveled many times through each of Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg, Birmingham, Huntsville, Louisville, etc...most during rush hour on occasion), nowhere I've been has consistent stop and go traffic as much as Cincinnati does (the worst seeming to be in the portion in Northern KY right before you cross the Ohio River).  

You do need to own up to Nicholasville Road, though :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CltFlyer said:

Touche!  Luckily a road I don't have to use that often.  If you have to go anywhere near it in rush hour,  it's best just to find an alternative route.  For your own sanity.

When I'm visiting family there, I only go Nicholasville Rd to get Trader Joe's-branded bourbon to restock my house bourbon here at the house. That's a worthwhile detour!

Anybody know what the deal is with the I-85/US-29 interchange in Concord?  The bridges have long been completed, but there are still construction cones everywhere and it looks like 29 still needs a final coat of pavement, and it's been that way for at least a year now.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Anybody know what the deal is with the I-85/US-29 interchange in Concord?  The bridges have long been completed, but there are still construction cones everywhere and it looks like 29 still needs a final coat of pavement, and it's been that way for at least a year now.

I noticed just the other day they had repaved the entrance ramps and it is almost done LOL. 

• Like 2

this evening in Iredell County  from Iredell Firewire  I-40  mile marker 142 this can not be good for traffic.   Looks like the cab is ahead of the trailer.  who knew ice cream was so flamable?

WEST IREDELL, CATAWBA, MONTICELLO - WORKING TRACTOR TRAILER FIRE - TRAILER FILLED WITH ICE CREAM - I40 EB @ 142 MM

UPDATE - ALL EASTBOUND LANES SHUTDOWN & 1 WESTBOURNE LANE SHUTDOWN

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 people died and many more injured in a highway fire in the Mont Blanc Tunnel in Italy/France from a truck carrying margerine. 

Liquified animal fat or any fat can become like jet fuel when at high temperatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_tunnel_fire

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There are three planned highway projects which will affect my neck of the woods (I live off Providence Road, in Weddington, just south of where Providence narrows from four lanes to two).

The three projects are 1) the extension of Rea Road across Providence to NC 84; 2) the widening of Providence from Rea Road to Waxhaw; and 3) the new Weddington Road interchange with I-485.

All are badly needed, and in fact should have been done years ago.  The two-lane part of Providence between Weddington and Waxhaw is a nightmare during the morning and evening rush, and it's getting that way mid-day weekdays, too.  And it's going to get worse.  Waxhaw is booming; Waverly (retail, office, and residential) is still growing;  the 485 improvements will bring more traffic; and the new exit from I-485 onto Weddington Road will dump more traffic onto Providence.

All three projects have been on the planning maps for years, nay, decades.  But they all seem to be stalled.  Does anyone here have any inside information, or even informed speculation, as to when these projects are likely to get underway? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

There are three planned highway projects which will affect my neck of the woods (I live off Providence Road, in Weddington, just south of where Providence narrows from four lanes to two).

The three projects are 1) the extension of Rea Road across Providence to NC 84; 2) the widening of Providence from Rea Road to Waxhaw; and 3) the new Weddington Road interchange with I-485.

All are badly needed, and in fact should have been done years ago. 

/lobs grenade/

I wonder how NCDOT plans to offset the additional carbon and particulate pollution produced by these (and their other) projects?

/ducks behind a parked Buick/

One possibility for mitigation is NCDOT could fund transit in Meck in an effort to offset increased VMT in Union. There are probably cheaper options, but I do hope NCDOT is thinking about what those might  be.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2