Granby Tower

utcltjay

yep, that would be a spire. I am not sure if they do or do not count it in terms of how tall a building is though. I have heard some folks says yada yada feet including the spire.  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The AH tower was 400ft including spire. With granby they made a specific point to say 450ft with a 100ft spire. Their wording and the rendering lead me to believe that the spire is not included as part of that 450ft. Plus if you use the spire on the top of the rendering as a measuring tool it takes approx. 4 1/2 of them stacked on top of one another to reach the actual building height.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's gonna be real interesting to see which tower ends up the tallest. The last one built ?? lol. Both towers are great looking (though I think I like the Granby the best) and are poised to truly be a landmark building in their respective communities. :)

The AH tower was 400ft including spire. With granby they made a specific point to say 450ft with a 100ft spire. Their wording and the rendering lead me to believe that the spire is not included as part of that 450ft. Plus if you use the spire on the top of the rendering as a measuring tool it takes approx. 4 1/2 of them stacked on top of one another to reach the actual building height.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were just pointing out the height of the bulk of the building, but the spire will be counted in its height. How else could Kuala Lumpur steal the title from Chicago.

An antenna is not considered part of a structure and is not included in overall height. A spire is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey (LOL), I was just pulling you guys' legs! Of course a TV antenna doesn't count as a tower or spire. I think it's great that Norfolk will have the tallest. In fact, I didn't even know that Monroe (which I don't think is very attractive) held that title for a while. The Granby is the kind of tower many cities would drool over. Congratulations! :D

Hey (LOL), I was just pulling you guys' legs!  Of course a TV antenna doesn't count as a tower or spire.  I think it's great that Norfolk will have the tallest.  In fact, I didn't even know that Monroe (which I don't think is very attractive) held that title for a while.  The Granby is the kind of tower many cities would drool over.  Congratulations! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems like a 550 foot Granby could beat-out Westin due to its antenna... but we won't know how tall Westin is possibly for a while. Either way, as long as one building is over 500 feet in this area, I am stunned. I didn't think we would be at this level so soon! Good times for HR.

It's great that we are having fun with dreaming and speculating on the height but i just want something in concrete! I know we will finally know when the building finally break ground. Westin hasn't released any footage yet and they might put a bigger spire on the building just to make it bigger which i think is retarded. Vabeach and there big head and that is the reason i never wanted to move to vabeach and no insult on you beach guys and chicks.

We've gotta find out whether the Granby is 450 or 550 ft. The word "with" could mean including, not in addition to. I don't know...but I just don't want us thinking this is a 550ft building without knowing for sure. "with" is a very confusing word.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why don't you email your friend in planning and see if we can get something nailed down. B)

Good idea....just did it. I don't know how soon we'll hear back because of Memorial Day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats cool. Your friend is usually pretty reliable so i'll be patient. I'm not sure if he'll know the particulars in that much detail though. If not i'll try to contact Marathon again Tuesday.

Thats cool. Your friend is usually pretty reliable so i'll be patient. I'm not sure if he'll know the particulars in that much detail though. If not i'll try to contact Marathon again Tuesday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that is why I was slightly hesitant to email him. He's not an architect or a developer, but he seems to be pretty specific in info he gives me. I've emailed him 11 times already...haha!

Yeah that is why I was slightly hesitant to email him. He's not an architect or a developer, but he seems to be pretty specific in info he gives me. I've emailed him 11 times already...haha!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, we don't want to be too much of an annoyance :lol: . We'll reserve him as our last resort and work our other sources first. :)

I know I've talked much about building height and all that but maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves in Granby Tower. To be conservative I will say that this building is currently 450 ft. tall. That said, one thing that we all missed (actually overlooked) from all the media reports and submitted documentations to the design committee is this little bit "preliminary" which in translation is "not final 'cause we're still more than half a year away from ground-breaking and at this rate we could still get taller (or bigger or make an even more beautiful building) simply due to the strong response that this project has received! Remember, the last time we revealed a new taller, bigger, and different design was 3 months ago. So long as demand continues, changes will continue until January 2006!" The basically made a statement that long into one word which is obviously the word "preliminary". Or maybe if not that reason, then it could be a more competitive reason like "Westin is set to begin construction this summer, a good 3-4 months before us. For now, we'll say 450 ft to keep them on a leash and once we do our ground-breaking, we'll pull the 600 ft figure right out of our asses and send the Rossyln a sympathy letter because they are going to get through a hell of a time trying to top us Muhahaha!"

:whistling: Ok maybe not as sinister but I think the developer is in a personal fight against the Westin and Rossyln despite denying (much less even daring to say) they are in a race for the tallest. It was kinda interesting to hear that the Norfolk design committee was surprised to even have a building design come through their office destined to be so tall.

I know I've talked much about building height and all that but maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves in Granby Tower. To be conservative I will say that this building is currently 450 ft. tall. That said, one thing that we all missed (actually overlooked) from all the media reports and submitted documentations to the design committee is this little bit "preliminary" which in translation is "not final 'cause we're still more than half a year away from ground-breaking and at this rate we could still get taller (or bigger or make an even more beautiful building) simply due to the strong response that this project has received! Remember, the last time we revealed a new taller, bigger, and different design was 3 months ago. So long as demand continues, changes will continue until January 2006!" The basically made a statement that long into one word which is obviously the word "preliminary". Or maybe if not that reason, then it could be a more competitive reason like "Westin is set to begin construction this summer, a good 3-4 months before us. For now, we'll say 450 ft to keep them on a leash and once we do our ground-breaking, we'll pull the 600 ft figure right out of our asses and send the Rossyln a sympathy letter because they are going to get through a hell of a time trying to top us Muhahaha!"

:whistling: Ok maybe not as sinister but I think the developer is in a personal fight against the Westin and Rossyln despite denying (much less even daring to say) they are in a race for the tallest. It was kinda interesting to hear that the Norfolk design committee was surprised to even have a building design come through their office destined to be so tall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As time goes by i feel less and less certain about the Rosslyn prospects and information. The way i see it, the fact that the Granby developers are sticking to tallest residential in HR means that they know Westin will be the tallest period. You have the Westins developer stating clearly that he wants the tallest in the state. Even if Granby is 450ft with spire included (still tallest in state for a short time :) ) you will probably see the Westin push at least 500ft to beat that. The spires are the killers and since Rosslyn has none planned for its tower i think it will be hard, even at 484ft, to challenge either of these towers.

Speaking of the Granby (which resembles the Chrysler to me), today was the 75th anniversary! How could we all forget?

Chrysler Celebrates 75 Years of a New York Landmark

Friday May 27, 11:30 am ET

NEW YORK, May 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Chrysler name has always been synonymous with bold, timeless design. As New York City's most distinctive Art Deco skyscraper, the Chrysler Building, owned by Tishman Speyer Properties, celebrates its 75th birthday on Friday it only makes sense that the automotive company that shares its name should sponsor the Art Deco Society gala.

complete story

a short one minute video

Ok, i did a little photoshopfu and resized the picture a bit so we could zoom in and see the floor count. I'll probably edit this in a little because i think i can do better. this is just the first try.

resized.jpg

Well how many floors do you guys count?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

urbanlife said she had counted 35 but its hard to count from a smaller pic so i resized it a bit. I haven't counted yet though so i'll let you know.

Well i get about 33 not counting that last little portion at the top. If i count that at 2 floors i can see how she could get 35. That may just be a flaw in the rendering though. I really don't think anymore floors have been added yet.

urbanlife said she had counted 35 but its hard to count from a smaller pic so i resized it a bit. I haven't counted yet though so i'll let you know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet the first two floors are really tall! Thats why he might think that there is 35. I went downtown just to drive through before going to wally world LOL and downtown is so alive at night i couldn't believe my eyes. Dude it made me so happy and it looked like the amount of people times 2 at the oceanfront.

Archived