Granby Tower

utcltjay

This will at least be the tallest in the state by a foot :D . That is until Westin releases the height (in feet) of their tower. *taps foot*.

How can you not love this? 3396799_BG1.gif

And how did the pilot get scooped again?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I thought that the Westin was going to be the tallest in the state. I think they got it confused or something. Unless that spire is going to be really tall, I don't see how it will be taller than the 38 story Westin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Number of floors does not mean squat in construction. Floor heights are the key and the make up of the building. I stated earlier that hotels usually have very low floor heights, because they have no need to run ductwork and central air/heat. This allows the floors in hotels to be around 9-10' instead of a steel structure which is around 13-14' per floor to make up for running heat/ac. Therefore if ten floors of the westin are hotel, which i think actually its more than you can say that it looses 4' per floor to the Granby Tower. 10 x 4 = 40' already. thats four floors. that granby doesn't have to make up. And like I said the hotel is probably more than ten floors. I was also crunching the numbers and found that the 450' is probably a general number if it is including the spire. I don't think that the building could possibly be 450' with the spire. The floors would have to be less than 12' (mainly because first floor retail is generally in the twenty foot range) which is not pretty common in steel construction (does not leave alot of room for utilities) My guess is that the building will actually be taller. And also the announcement of the stainless steel and glass tells me that the building will!!! be made of steel.

With the AT&T building being the tallest building in midtown at only 162' it is truly going to dwarf everything around it. And yes I said "midtown".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At 110ft over anything downtown i think we've finally met our "significantly taller" requirement. Not only will this dwarf midtown but it will dwarf Norfolk period. (I wonder if we call it midtown long enough if other people will start to pick it up :D ).

At 110ft over anything downtown i think we've finally met our "significantly taller" requirement. Not only will this dwarf midtown but it will dwarf Norfolk period. (I wonder if we call it midtown long enough if other people will start to pick it up  :D ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it will be great site to see. Imagine the crane that they will have to put up to construct this thing.

I saw this and went  :D  There was an article on the Pilot 13/Hampton Roads.com site thingey about redeveloping DT Plaza too.  I'm trying to picture the whole area in 10 years.  It will be sooo different, and so amazing:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know and I wonder what they plan on doing on the property of DT Plaza? They are also talking about tearing down the projects that are behind the plaza all the way to Tidewater Dr.

I know and I wonder what they plan on doing on the property of DT Plaza? They are also talking about tearing down the projects that are behind the plaza all the way to Tidewater Dr.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If highrises are developed on those properties ( I hope so ) then that would give the city a very interesting skyline... Even though MacArthur will break it up a bit, having development encircle it will be interesting.

If highrises are developed on those properties ( I hope so ) then that would give the city a very interesting skyline...  Even though MacArthur will break it up a bit, having development encircle it will be interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will just make the mall that much more successful IMO. I just can't wait till all of these projects are being built!!! :alc: Lets celebrate with a round for everyone! LOL

It will just make the mall that much more successful IMO. I just can't wait till all of these projects are being built!!! :alc: Lets celebrate with a round for everyone! LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's definitely true. Having 1000's more workers and residents within walking distance would = major $$$.

If only Pembroke would redo it's tenant mix and maybe it could have similar success? lol.

I wish they would tear down that ugly Radison down on Brambleton.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that once the tower is built the hotel will not be as noticable. It's not that terrible looking it just isn't a very good location. It stood out like a soar thumb because it was taller than everything around it and in the middle of nowhere. It practically drawed attention to itself. Not that good looking a building to be in that position.

If highrises are developed on those properties ( I hope so ) then that would give the city a very interesting skyline...  Even though MacArthur will break it up a bit, having development encircle it will be interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, development on downtown plaza would kind of give downtown a u-shaped downtown. That would be pretty unique. If more development occured in the 'midtown' area with granby we would close that gap and have a square downtown with a hole in it.

Archived