Granby Tower

utcltjay

I think that once the tower is built the hotel will not be as noticable.  It's not that terrible looking it just isn't a very good location.  It stood out like a soar thumb because it was taller than everything around it and in the middle of nowhere.  It practically drawed attention to itself.  Not that good looking a building to be in that position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still wish that they would tear it down and build something alot better and more modern.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, development on downtown plaza would kind of give downtown a u-shaped downtown.  That would be pretty unique.  If more development occured in the 'midtown' area with granby we would close that gap and have a square downtown with a hole in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And then we would have a hole in one. LOL

That's definitely true.  Having 1000's more workers and residents within walking distance would = major $$$.

If only Pembroke would redo it's tenant mix and maybe it could have similar success?  lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All in time. Pembroke is on a slow boil right now. Tons of projects are pending in and around that area.

All in time. Pembroke is on a slow boil right now. Tons of projects are pending in and around that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look how long it took Norfolk. VaBeach is just begining so it will take decades for them to get a good size. Also, the more businesses see whats going on they will bring their businesses here.

I still wish that they would tear it down and build something alot better and more modern.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, that is pretty prime parcel. Coming from 64 through granby that building is practically the gateway to downtown. That's when you know that you are entering the downtown district. Could really put a nice signature building there that could compliment the new granby tower.

Was just noticing Vdoggs and russ's avatars. One has green glass and the latest seems to have blue.. interesting to note that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i need to use a little photoshopfu on mine though. Didn't expect it to turn out that small :blush: .

Talk about an advertising blitz. It's on wvec now and the planning commision has approved the project! :D

Planning Commission gives preliminary OK for new skyscraper

05:25 PM EDT on Thursday, May 26, 2005

WVEC.com

L_IMAGE.jpg

An architect's rendering of the proposed Granby Tower in downtown Norfolk.

The Norfolk Planning Commission has given preliminary approval to a new skyscraper in downtown Norfolk. The 31-story Granby Tower would become the tallest residential building in the region.

Developers presented sketches of the building to the Commission on Thursday. The exterior of the 450-foot high rise will be primarily blue tinted glass, aluminum and stainless steel, with a 100 ft. spire. Architect Bryan Moore said he hopes the design will remind people of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building in New York.

Granby Tower is planned for Granby Street at Brambleton, across from the U.S. District Courthouse. Groundbreaking is scheduled for early next year and the building is expected to be complete in late 2007. Its art deco style is designed to blend in with surrounding structures. .....Full Story

That building makes me melt. Wow. And to think summer or late 2007 we will have this tower AND the Westin coming online at the same time. Awesome! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats cool is that they are putting townhouses in front of the parking garage. And they are also talking about trying to build a little park with a water fountain.

Myths dispelled today:

1. DT Norfolk has a height limit :rofl:

2. The ground in DT Norfolk can't support a skyscraper

3. There will never be another highrise built in Norfolk (said by developer in the 80's and proved wrong many times over)

4. Such a project can never be done in Norfolk without major incentives

Am i missing anything? :D

Myths dispelled today:

1. DT Norfolk has a height limit  :rofl:

2. The ground in DT Norfolk can't support a skyscraper

3. There will never be another highrise built in Norfolk (said by developer in the 80's and      proved wrong many times over) 

4. Such a project can never be done in Norfolk without major incentives

Am i missing anything?  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope but this is great. I can only dream what is next in the city and for this area. The only thing to top this would be a fortune 500 company coming or NBA coming to the area!

Has the building actually changed, or is the rendering just different? Because I like the old rendering better...haha. Maybe I just need a more detailed rendering like the old one. Also, I'm glad they have a website up finally!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building has definately changed but i honestly like the new one better. It looks more

"grand" and its the type of skyscraper you'd expect in a major city. That being said, these are just preliminary sketches and once the site is fully up and running i'm sure they'll have some computer generated renderings with virtual walkthroughs :D .

The building has definately changed but i honestly like the new one better. It looks more

"grand" and its the type of skyscraper you'd expect in a major city. That being said, these are just preliminary sketches and once the site is fully up and running i'm sure they'll have some computer generated renderings with virtual walkthroughs  :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats probably why they don't have it on the site and the height might change too due to the amount of people trying to buy the condos!!!

I wonder if the pilot is gonna have some huge article on this tommorrow. They've really been behind the curve lately on development. I wonder if they're gonna address the competition between Granby and Westin.

I wonder if the pilot is gonna have some huge article on this tommorrow. They've really been behind the curve lately on development. I wonder if they're gonna address the competition between Granby and Westin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason i ask is that WVEC went out of their way to say that this would be the "tallest residential building" in HR. Which means to me, at 450ft, for them not to be the tallest period Westin is probably pullin about 500. I think wtkr made a mistake when they said tallest building, and probably meant to say tallest residential as well.

Archived