Granby Tower

utcltjay

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insidbiz is slow as crap at updating their site, but if you click the tabs on the top of the screen (i.e. insider news, columns, people, etc.) you can get the stuff for this weeks edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey great! glad 'I' figured this out. :lol:

:blink:

Wow, a 4000 sq ft office!? Thats pretty big. I'm glad to see that this project will be done in 2007, although probably not soon enough for Jamestown 2007. But the actual shell of the building should be done, so at least it will make an impact on the skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats gonna be hot! 31 story midtown skyscraper (plus spire) with prolly at least 40 story high crane towering over it. It'll make some good pics for Norfolks next brochure :) .

Thats gonna be hot! 31 story midtown skyscraper (plus spire) with prolly at least 40 story high crane towering over it. It'll make some good pics for Norfolks next brochure  :) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope Norfolk gets some more towers at least 31 stories down the road

I hope Norfolk gets some more towers at least 31 stories down the road

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's bound to happen. First Va. Beach broke that psychological barrier then Norfolk and now i think cats out of the bag and that sucker aint goin back in without a fight either. Most new office and mixed use residential will prolly be at least upper 20's to low 30's til they truly run out of land downtown. Then we'll start to see 40 and up.

I think it's bound to happen. First Va. Beach broke that psychological barrier then Norfolk and now i think cats out of the bag and that sucker aint goin back in without a fight either. Most new office and mixed use residential will prolly be at least upper 20's to low 30's til they truly run out of land downtown. Then we'll start to see 40 and up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess, I am a little skeptical right now. I haven't heard any major jobs coming in but maybe the new towers will be for those jobs. My fingers are crossed

^ Yeah. Norfolk really pulled in a big fish with Trader coming but it's hard to imagine something else as big or equal to this coming to the area but hey, we have to hope good things are ahead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they kept Trader here, you have to remember the hq is in Norfolk right now and has always been.

^ Yeah. Norfolk really pulled in a big fish with Trader coming but it's hard to imagine something else as big or equal to this coming to the area but hey, we have to hope good things are ahead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to think beyond these shores. There are quite a few international companies where making a move to Norfolk may be in their strategic interest. We have a large port (2nd behind New York) and it is cheaper to do business here than New York. I really think that it's a possibility.

You have to think beyond these shores. There are quite a few international companies where making a move to Norfolk may be in their strategic interest. We have a large port (2nd behind New York) and it is cheaper to do business here than New York. I really think that it's a possibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But our expensives are going up with our development, and the key is to make it worth the extra expense down the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a link to an article on this very subject in Norfolk development

Link

They're not relocating downtown but if a major corporation like this relocates anywhere in Norfolk it a good thing and may be the start of a trend.

On a side note go ahead and post whatever you want on this subject here for now. Just know i'll probably be moving all the comments to Norfolk development later tonight. It's my fault for getting off topic this time. :blush:

On a side note go ahead and post whatever you want on this subject here for now. Just know i'll probably be moving all the comments to Norfolk development later tonight. It's my fault for getting off topic this time.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I posted that article in Norfolk Development a while ago haha. Well anyways, I'm just thrilled to hear more about this tower. We will actually have a midtown when its done!! :D

Yeah I posted that article in Norfolk Development a while ago haha. Well anyways, I'm just thrilled to hear more about this tower. We will actually have a midtown when its done!!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

damn, i saw you in there and i just knew thats what you were doing. I was just hoping i could clean everything up before you posted. You were just too quick for me :D

I'll just post it!!!!!!!

Tallest Building In Hampton Roads To Be Built In Norfolk

Granby Tower, the tallest building in Hampton Roads has been proposed for downtown Norfolk. The 31 story building has been designed to complement neighboring buildings.

That was the goal of the owners, Marathon Development Group of Norfolk, and it has been achieved by the architects, Dallas-based Humphreys and Partners, which has also designed luxury high-rise residential projects in such cities as Las Vegas, Minneapolis, San Diego, Miami and Fort Meyers.

?Granby Tower will have an art deco feel,? says Bryan Moore of Humphreys and Partners, ?which will reflect the classic architecture of the federal courthouse located across from it on Granby Street as well as other structures in the area.?

Moore says the Tower?s exterior will be primarily blue tinted glass, aluminum and stainless steel, with a spire, reminiscent of the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings in New York City. Wrapping around the Tower will be street level retail shops and a six-level parking garage, hidden by four floors of townhouses and flats fronting on Brambleton, Boush and Granby Streets. The outside surface of the low rises will be cast stone and stucco.

Members of the Norfolk Design Review Committee, which gave unanimous preliminary approval to the project at its May 23rd meeting, applauded the plans. Developers also showed the Committee a suggested design of a public park that would be created within the outline of the former Flatiron Building, which previously was adjacent to the construction site. Residents of Granby Tower and the general public would have access to the treed green space and fountains.

The Norfolk Planning Commission will now consider the project, starting at its May 26th meeting, and then pass on its recommendation to Norfolk City Council. Marathon intends to break ground on the 450-foot structure by early 2006 with completion slated for late 2007

Looks like Marathon development is going for the gold.  Found an article on News channel 3's website claiming Granby Tower will be tallest in Hampton Roads.

Check it out here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is one GREAT looking building.. wowie :wacko:

Wow I thought that the Westin was going to be the tallest in the state. I think they got it confused or something. Unless that spire is going to be really tall, I don't see how it will be taller than the 38 story Westin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And they're off!!! Let the race begin :D

The Norfolk Planning Commission will now consider the project, starting at its May 26th meeting, and then pass on its recommendation to Norfolk City Council. Marathon intends to break ground on the 450-foot structure by early 2006 with completion slated for late 2007.

Archived