Granby Tower

utcltjay

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably is. Urbanlife has a chick as an avatar on another forum so my brain just automatically spits out she but honestly i don't know. If it was a male avatar i'd probably have said he. And don't confuse urbanlife with urbanfan. Urbanfan is a guy i'm pretty sure. I'm always mixing the two up though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, that is F*ing Lindsay Lohan.

I don't know if any of y'all are aware of this, but if you go to the granbytower.com site and at least provide your name in the form, you will be sent a formal invitation to the Special Preview Event and exclusive news on the project. Additionally, they have a "preview of the view" when that one photographer took pictures a few months ago. I can't remember how high that "preview" picture-taking was but during my spring semester when I saw the crane, I'm assuming that the shot is the view from the 15th floor of the tower. So they are obviously just giving a taste of the view without spoiling the higher floors :)

***Quick note: They haven't said when the preview party will be, but this could obviously be a good meet-up for all of us about this project and other projects if our schedules allow us to do so.

I don't know if any of y'all are aware of this, but if you go to the granbytower.com site and at least provide your name in the form, you will be sent a formal invitation to the Special Preview Event and exclusive news on the project. Additionally, they have a "preview of the view" when that one photographer took pictures a few months ago. I can't remember how high that "preview" picture-taking was but during my spring semester when I saw the crane, I'm assuming that the shot is the view from the 15th floor of the tower. So they are obviously just giving a taste of the view without spoiling the higher floors  :)

***Quick note: They haven't said when the preview party will be, but this could obviously be a good meet-up for all of us about this project and other projects if our schedules allow us to do so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already signed up. :D I plan on going camera in tow (i should have one that works by then), and will hopefully come back with an update for you guys.

What time is this suppose to take place? Please let me know and is it during the day time or during the evening? I would like to go and see it. I usually don't go to work till 11:45 or later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They will email you and let you know when you sign up. The emails have not been sent out yet so as yet their are no details. That being said I have no qualms taking a few hours leave from work if it does turn out being in the middle of the day, just as long as I know ahead of time.

Let's do the math and play the numbers game...

For reference, Dominion Tower comes in at 340 ft w/ 26 floors. This equates to approx. 13.08 ft in height from floor to floor.

When announced, the Westin was to be 400 ft w/ up to 32 floors. This equates to 12.5 ft in height from floor to floor and if we assume each floor has 9 ft high ceilings then it would have 3 ft. of space between floors for structural support and utilities and such. Looking at the numbers compared to Dominion Tower, that 3 ft. is very likely to be a real-world figure. Now I remember I think it was Urbanfan was the one who was a structural engineer saying that steel towers have higher space for structural support and utilities compared to mostly concrete towers like Dominion and Westin. He mentioned it at 4 ft.

Well it's now confirmed that Granby Tower will be a mostly steel tower. Let's use the 450 ft. figure. 450 / 31 = approx. 14.5 ft between floors. Knowing this building is said to be a luxury residential tower, this could either have 10 or 10.5 ft high ceilings. I'm trying to be logical with the whole numbers game but it appears that 450 ft will be the height of the building. Note I'm not counting spires here just the building itself.

As for another exciting building, the Westin. Let's take the 12.5 ft mark as a theoretical benchmark and times it by 38. Wha La! we have and even 475 ft BUILDING height! What does this mean? Westin WILL be the tallest building. Please note that I have not taken into account of the first floors of the Westin and Granby in their obviously taller ceilings. I just counted them as other floors in their respective buildings. They both are bound to have 16-20 ft. ceilings so don't be surprised if these claims of 450 ft. and 475 ft. are just really shorter than what the developers have in their blueprints. In the end, I think we can kiss the Rossyln as a competitor goodbye. Additionally, when we take into account of the spires of the Westin and Granby, we can also say that we just skipped the entire 400 ft range and say hi to the 500 ft  range! Now THAT's the MOST exciting thing about these buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is one flaw with your Westin projections. Because hotels don't need space to run ductwork and the like expect 18 floors (which i believe is what the hotel is taking up now) to be at about 10 feet between floors. Only the residential portion will be around the 12.5' mark. I fully expect the building portion to just barely reach 450 unless more floors are added. We'll just have to wait and see.

There is one flaw with your Westin projections.  Because hotels don't need space to run ductwork and the like expect 18 floors (which i believe is what the hotel is taking up now) to be at about 10 feet between floors.  Only the residential portion will be around the 12.5' mark.  I fully expect the building portion to just barely reach 450 unless more floors are added. We'll just have to wait and see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch, 25 ft may not be noticeable but to me that's alot of height. If the Westin keeps their 50 ft. spire, this thing will be around 500 ft tall. I guess I can still bear with that but it sucks (for me anyway) to guess mathematically 475 ft then step back 25 feet. If this falls below 484 ft (*cough Rossyln cough*) with the spire, then I'm going to start a "Westin charity" to raise money for the developer to make sure they eclipse the Rossyln lol.

Ouch, 25 ft may not be noticeable but to me that's alot of height. If the Westin keeps their 50 ft. spire, this thing will be around 500 ft tall. I guess I can still bear with that but it sucks (for me anyway) to guess mathematically 475 ft then step back 25 feet. If this falls below 484 ft (*cough Rossyln cough*) with the spire, then I'm going to start a "Westin charity" to raise money for the developer to make sure they eclipse the Rossyln lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should say that the 50 was just a guestimate due to how much smaller in proportion it seemed to The AH towers spire (and, at the time, me trying to figure out how the hell we could fit a then 35 story tower with spire underneath a 400ft height limit). That is by no means a solid figure so don't use that as the main basis of your calculation. Judging by what the height of the main portion will be, It's more likely than not that they'll probably have a hundred foot spire on Westin, bringing structure height to 550. I'm starting to have my doubts about Granby being 550 total cause that would mean that Westin has to touch 600 to beat them, which seems a bit extreme. Granby will probably top out at about 500+/-.

450ft tall structure includes spire, this wording leads me to more firmly believe that. With that being said, with them having every condo spoken for you can pretty much gurantee antoher height increase before January.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We will have to wait and see. If thats true then the spire cannot be 100 feet. With a steel structure you would need at least 12' per floor actually more. Example. The floor is probably 3" thick concrete on metal deck on top of floor beams or joists that will be in the range of 18 - 24" thick theoretically therefore if you start with 12' per floor than take away 24" already to get utilities below the beams. Add another 2' for the clearance for the utilites and you only have 8' for ceilings. Now without even mentioning the first floor will probably be 18 - 20' if you multiply 31 floors times 12' (which I doubt) that gives you 372' add a 100' spire and you see where I'm going. I'm telling you that that 450' foot is just a general comment and I can garuntee that it will be more unless the spire isn't 100'

We will have to wait and see.  If thats true then the spire cannot be 100 feet.  With a steel structure you would need at least 12' per floor actually more.  Example.  The floor is probably 3" thick concrete on metal deck on top of floor beams or joists that will be in the range of 18 - 24" thick theoretically therefore if you start with 12' per floor than take away 24" already to get utilities below the beams.  Add another 2' for the clearance for the utilites and you only have 8' for ceilings.  Now without even mentioning the first floor will probably be 18 - 20' if you multiply 31 floors times 12' (which I doubt) that gives you 372'  add a 100' spire and you see where I'm going.  I'm telling you that that 450' foot is just a general comment and I can garuntee that it will be more unless the spire isn't 100'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, i see what your saying. So if spire is included then were still at the very least hovering between 470-500

Ok, i see what your saying. So if spire is included then were still at the very least hovering between 470-500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

500 feet.... never thought I'd see the day around here. lol! BUT I AM EXCITED TO SEE IT! I'm sure too that it will increase more as Westin continues to grow...

You can believe since Divaris said he is building "virgnia's tallest" he will surely be trying with all his might. LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, I think that as neither wants to admit it they are both looking to outdo eachother. I could see these buildings getting taller in the future out of just shear competition. You can't tell me divaris isn't competitive, and as young as buddy gadams is he'll sure put up a fight. It will be fun to see the end result.

Archived