Norfolk International Airport

willy

"NFK" would've been ACTUALLY cool. Norfolk is fighting being hip. Not sure why but it's definitely like, anything but the best seems Norfolk's approach.

Plus, aren't The Tides Norfolk's anyway???  Why would they need to double down on city pride, then make it something even LESS people call it by using "ORF" 😵‍💫

On the plus side, the sales look pretty high. Medium, large and XL sizes already unavailable

Screenshot_20240410-121943.png

^^^For the life of me I don't understand why Norfolk stopped embracing the Mermaid City moniker. You might hear it every so often but for whatever reason it never really took off, at least compared to 15 years ago. The mermaids and NFK should be the city's identity and they shouldn't be afraid to make it a thing. 

• Thanks 1

If They don't make mermaids our city identity, I say we the people take it on instead. Street/building murals containing mermaids, more mermaid statues, mermaid tails or somthing like it integrated with clothing, ect. I don't think we need the Government to take it on just for it to be official. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

If They don't make mermaids our city identity, I say we the people take it on instead. Street/building murals containing mermaids, more mermaid statues, mermaid tails or somthing like it integrated with clothing, ect. I don't think we need the Government to take it on just for it to be official. 

FACTS!  They must have thee corniest person heading the PR for Norfolk!  I feel you;  I think the people will have to take control of the "cool stuff" and just let the city do the books lol

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

Why are the numbers up?

More people took flights 😇

But seriously, there's more destinations available compared to the same period last year, as well as some increases in frequency and just higher load factors. 

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 3

I knew that response was coming 😂 

But great!  I just wanted to know what caused the uptick to make sure it wasn't some play on numbers. I had the guy at HRT telling me each LRT stop had transit oriented development around it and I'm like...

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

I had the guy at HRT telling me each LRT stop had transit oriented development around it and I'm like...

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

You don't think that the Newtowne stop has TOD around? Come on those single family houses, parking lot, and the 7/11(if it's still there) don't give off the essence of TOD to you? 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

I knew that response was coming 😂 

But great!  I just wanted to know what caused the uptick to make sure it wasn't some play on numbers. I had the guy at HRT telling me each LRT stop had transit oriented development around it and I'm like...

whatchatalkinabout.jpg

Wut u talkin' 'bout, Willis? 

HRT guy lied.

2 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

You don't think that the Newtowne stop has TOD around? Come on those single family houses, parking lot, and the 7/11(if it's still there) don't give off the essence of TOD to you? 

The proposed VB Town Center stop already had significant, LRT-ORIENTED-LOOKING development, so they should have just extended LRT there and taken full credit. Lol .

Edited by baobabs727
  • Thanks 2

I love trees. The airport's grounds have always been pretty.  I attribute that to the airport's proximity to the Botanical Gardens. The City and the Airport Authority wanted to make the transition between the two seamless. Now the airport is going to lose much of its natural beauty to make way for the new Hotel, other buildings....and now this...whatever it is.  However, I can accept all of that destruction in the name of progress for all. I'm sure...well, I hope....they'll be planting trees elsewhere.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wish the relocation of trees was a more effective solution. Before you ask me what the heck im talking about, its a real thing. Some cities relocate their old trees entirely rather than cut them down. 

Moving a large tree ... feels good | Life of an Architect

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Sometimes I wish the relocation of trees was are more effective solution. Before you ask me what the heck im talking about, its a real thing. Some cities relocate their old trees entirely rather than cut them down. 

Moving a large tree ... feels good | Life of an Architect

awesome

• 2 weeks later...

I will add, the one thing I feel ORF needs is more fast dining within the actual terminals. Dunno if Burger King is still there, but that’s in the main area. Might be moot because I don’t believe this airport has layovers, but they should consider putting a BK, or something like a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell on each terminal like in other major airports. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BFG said:

I will add, the one thing I feel ORF needs is more fast dining within the actual terminals. Dunno if Burger King is still there, but that’s in the main area. Might be moot because I don’t believe this airport has layovers, but they should consider putting a BK, or something like a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell on each terminal like in other major airports. 

If they can just move the restaurants that are outside of security inside of it I think they'd be mostly fine, which I would not be surprised if that happens since I doubt the leases to those places neatly coincide with their timeline for consolidating security. 

Edited by Arctic_Tern
  • Like 2