RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

... I agree that much of the architecture is somewhat uninspiring thus far, but I don't think we should be overly critical at this stage. I think the most important thing right now is the fact that we are actually having buildings being constructed and proposed. I'm sure some more interesting proposals are in Raleigh's future.

I do think that Bloomsbury and Boylan Flats are original designs. I also think the 20-story tower proposal for site 1 is unique and if CAM happens, you can add another. I think the proposal for site 4/boutique hotel is supposed to be unique too.

Avery is right. It was only 10 or 15 years ago that Charlotte was considered to have one of the most boring collections of buildings in the country, but now look at their DT. Most cities around the country have far more developed downtowns than Raleigh. We are now just really developing our base of buildings. Even though most of our proposed buildings are uninspiring, we are growing and these buildings will create a better backdrop for the future signature buildings that are going to follow. Signature tower or not, this is still a very exciting time for DT Raleigh.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MR-2 I also like your rendering. As a student of architecture I must admit something like that would do wonders for downtown. Very good job.

But the more I think about some cities may not be meant to have fantastic skylines. For instance Phoenix, AZ (Due to airport restrictions) Sacramento, CA (?) and a few others. But I do believe Raleigh's downtown skyscraper potential will one day be realized.

But the more I think about some cities may not be meant to have fantastic skylines. For instance Phoenix, AZ (Due to airport restrictions) Sacramento, CA (?) and a few others. But I do believe Raleigh's downtown skyscraper potential will one day be realized.

Who's the genius that put a huge airport downtown Phoenix/Tempe anyways. That is wild.

As for Raleigh, my biggest concerns are the anchor tenants to this city have already built there buildings. Progress has finished theirs (nothing to brag about) and RBC is starting on theres (again, nothing to brag about) Unless some other major corporate headquarters are planned for Raleigh, there are no big building proposals coming anytime soon for DT Raleigh. BofA, Wachovia, and whatever that other tall one is are all headquarter buildings. They are marquee buildings for these corporations. Our two biggest corp. have already announced their plans or built there buildings. I feel that a major oppurtunity with RBC was missed. I hope they reconsider and come back with a completely different/better design. One that graces all the postcards.

First Union could move downtown (ha). We might snatch some other region's bank, but I don't know what. Capital Bank is now downtown, and they reside in the old Progress Energy Building. Suntrust is staying in Durham, and that's fine. They deserve a share of the pie too.

Plenty northern banks could move here.

I think as a tech center, we'll see it pay off eventually. Some RTP company is going to get really large, and they'll need offices downtown for the number crunchers.

Numbers can be strength too. We might manage to get large mixed-use projects with lots of smaller companies on board. Seeing as this is what we're doing now, this is probably what we'll keep doing.

As any region grows, it'll draw insurance companies, so again there are more number crunchers that need offices downtown.

First Union could move downtown (ha). We might snatch some other region's bank, but I don't know what. Capital Bank is now downtown, and they reside in the old Progress Energy Building. Suntrust is staying in Durham, and that's fine. They deserve a share of the pie too.

Plenty northern banks could move here.

I think as a tech center, we'll see it pay off eventually. Some RTP company is going to get really large, and they'll need offices downtown for the number crunchers.

Numbers can be strength too. We might manage to get large mixed-use projects with lots of smaller companies on board. Seeing as this is what we're doing now, this is probably what we'll keep doing.

As any region grows, it'll draw insurance companies, so again there are more number crunchers that need offices downtown.

Firt Union is no more. They are now Wachovia and they have there building on Fayettville Street already. Maybe WellsFargo could open an eastern US office in downtown Raleigh? :)

MR-2 I also like your rendering. As a student of architecture I must admit something like that would do wonders for downtown. Very good job.

Sacramento,CA has some awsome new skyscrapers coming on line in about 2-3 years.

Sacramento,CA has some awsome new skyscrapers coming on line in about 2-3 years.

Not to get off subject but to me the most pathetic skyline of a large U.S. city is San Jose, CA. 900 K in city and I don't think anything is above 20 floors. Sac town will be getting a nice skyline within the next few years with the twins already breaking ground and 621 breaking ground as well.

San Jose's downtown, like Phoenix is close to its airport, thus the lack of height in the downtown. I for one hate downtowns that are close to their airports, it makes things so much harder to accomplish. Take Boston for example. It can't build anythin taller than 900 ft. because Logan international is so close.

San Jose's downtown, like Phoenix is close to its airport, thus the lack of height in the downtown. I for one hate downtowns that are close to their airports, it makes things so much harder to accomplish. Take Boston for example. It can't build anythin taller than 900 ft. because Logan international is so close.

Yea I was going to say San Jose doesnt have a skyline and I guess this is why. But anyhow back to the subject, so when are they breaking ground on this??

An article in the N&O today discussing how Highwoods is making a comeback stated the RBC tower should be under contstruction some time in the 3rd quarter of '06.

In the Triangle, where Highwoods is the biggest office landlord, the company could be poised for its biggest building boom since 2001. Highwoods is to begin construction on RBC Centura's headquarters in downtown Raleigh in the third quarter, about the time it is finishing an office building at its GlenLake park in northwest Raleigh. Improving office markets in Raleigh, Cary and Research Triangle Park could create more development at GlenLake, Weston or Research Commons, respectively, Fritsch said.

Highwoods earns praise

Did any of you happen to catch the Fox50 news tonight? They showed a picture of downtown with a very very different RBC tower than what we have been seeing. Do any of you have a link or anything? I looked on Fox50's website and couldnt find anything.

I was at a meeting today where someone from Highwoods (and I can't remember who) said that it would definitely be DT's tallest. Said they'd break ground late this summer.

I didn't think to look too closely at the renderings, but now that I think about it, it was a bit different that what I'd seen before. I'll have to watch WRAL to see what they show.

I just saw the new renderings of the RBC tower on WRAL. OMG, it looks dramatically better. The balconies are not quite as agressive as before and it had a spire!! A spire? in Raleigh? I can't believe it haha.
Wral. also has something about RBC wanting to use a bigger logo on it's building,but no renderings

This might need its own thread - but I feel the signage rules in DTRaleigh are ridiculous. I feel the signs should be in proportion to the building size.

For instance, you can't see the Progress Energy logo until you're right up on it. The Capital Bank logo looks nice at night when its lit up, because it fits the size of the building well. The BofA logo you can't see until you're right up on it either. Maybe this is because of the blue they use, maybe its because its too small.

I think its good they are talking about allowing larger signs. A wussy sign just isn't going to look right on a bulding the size of RBC.

Archived