RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

This might need its own thread - but I feel the signage rules in DTRaleigh are ridiculous. I feel the signs should be in proportion to the building size.

For instance, you can't see the Progress Energy logo until you're right up on it. The Capital Bank logo looks nice at night when its lit up, because it fits the size of the building well. The BofA logo you can't see until you're right up on it either. Maybe this is because of the blue they use, maybe its because its too small.

I think its good they are talking about allowing larger signs. A wussy sign just isn't going to look right on a bulding the size of RBC.

I agree, Justin. Think of how much definition the CCB sign gave that building in Durham. Over here the BB&T sign on Hannover II is just too puny.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before WRAL starts reporting possible inflamitory statements, they should put together a mock up of the current and proposed changes.... I have no idea what 750sq ft would look like compared to 300 sq ft.

Well the 300 Sf could use letters 12' tall in an area 25' wide or in RBC's case with their logo about 17' x 17'. At 400' in the air it would seem rather small. Now if it passes, their sign could grow to about 28' x 28' for a total of 784' :yahoo:

I am not familiar with photoshop but maybe someone else could attempt the change

Ok,am CONFUSED i know about the bigger signs/logo's, but is their a new Design for the planned RBC tower or not, can anybody please provide some SOLID INFO please :huh:

Last night Wral did have a story about buildings being approved with larger signs. They also showed an image of RBC with more balaconies and a triangular crown or spire along with a considerably larger sign. It was different to say the least.

Is that true? Faster than Charlotte, Washington, Miami, or Atlanta, GA?

I am talking City population.Metro No...Charlotte is close but Washington has been losing population for years, Atlanta has had slow growth for years and Raleighs population is fast approaching Miami's.

It's sorta amazing that we can't find any pictures of this anywhere on the net. I've searched high and low but haven't found anything. Hopefully something will turn up in the next few days.

I emailed the newsroom and searched highwoods site. I am surprised News & Observer didn't have anything on this.

Have you gotten a reply to your e-mail?

It's sorta amazing that we can't find any pictures of this anywhere on the net. I've searched high and low but haven't found anything. Hopefully something will turn up in the next few days.

Have you gotten a reply to your e-mail?

Nothing. I also email'd the architect firm, Cooper-Cary. Nothing. Must be a shroud of secrecy.

I am talking City population.Metro No...Charlotte is close but Washington has been losing population for years, Atlanta has had slow growth for years and Raleighs population is fast approaching Miami's.

While this is true, it is also very misleading.

Miami is 35 sq. miles of land, while Raleigh is 114 sq miles. So Miami is a third the size of Raleigh.

The metro areas are not even close.

So I take it nobody else could come up with a rendering or even verify the acuracy of WRAL

While this is true, it is also very misleading.

Miami is 35 sq. miles of land, while Raleigh is 114 sq miles. So Miami is a third the size of Raleigh.

The metro areas are not even close.

I do see your point Transplant. It is an unfair comparrison. I am only using those cities as a comparrison by Phillydog

I got an email from WRAL looking for a rendering of Raleigh with all the projects in it for a story they are airing today. I replied and asked if she knew anything about that rendering that was in their story (I am on the road in the plains so I havent seen anything). Anyway, she said "The new rendering was submitted to the Comprehensive Planning Committee at city hall in a meeting about the size of the sign. You can probably get a copy at the city clerks office."

So, thats probably what I would do if I were in Raleigh. However I'd watch the story they are planning for later today because I bet there would probably be something more on everything.

I'm refering to the rendering that people are discussing on the last page, the "new" version that is apparently dramatically different, or so it seems.

The compilation that RaleighLover posted is what Dana has posted before, or something similar.

Thanks for noticing, y'all!! Here's the story on this one. We also got an email from Melissa Boucher this morning and she asked if we had something more updated than what we posted a few months ago. We weren't able to come up with a new RBC rendering, and Empire Properties asked that we use a non-descript 15-20 box instead of the Hotel Gansevoort that is on the city's site. I got a good quality Site 1 rendering today and really struggled with it to meet the deadline.

I do really like that the dean of the design school hates the Marriott, too. The point of the story, really, was that now that we have momentum, the City of Raleigh has a little more clout in demanding better looking buildings.

Anyone wonder if there will be enough legal workers to build all of this stuff?

I found this in the council minutes. It is not a picture, but talks about the height and crown. The building is 29 stories and approximately 350 feet. If they add 1-2 more floors the height would increase by 25-30 feet. They also mention a spire. I wonder if the "spire" is the boxy addition we are currently seeing on the renderings?

http://search.raleighnc.gov/search?q=cache...t=RaleighNC&oe=

Archived