RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

I found this in the council minutes. It is not a picture, but talks about the height and crown. The building is 29 stories and approximately 350 feet. If they add 1-2 more floors the height would increase by 25-30 feet. They also mention a spire. I wonder if the "spire" is the boxy addition we are currently seeing on the renderings?

http://search.raleighnc.gov/search?q=cache...t=RaleighNC&oe=

Wow. If the rumor holds true that RBC HQ is destined to reign as DT's tallest than, that spire better be at least 3 stories in height. BB&T(tallest) is 432 feet tall I believe. As it stands RBC is a far cry from that.

This is what needs to happen to that building to get it at least to BB&T's height. 350 ft(RBC height) + 30 ft(2 additional stories) + 55 ft(spire) = 435ft.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks much better. They removed the 'one building on top of another' look, so as a result, the building looks like it fits as a whole, the lines flow without interuption. With the spire, it seems more fitting for a corporate HQ, and perhaps a new DT tallest.

I like - but doesn't the BB&T building look a little squat?

It appears that way because they oversized that rendering of the new convention center and hotel. It appears very out of scale. I seriously doubt it will dominate the view like that.

I'm not complaining. This is not like the awful Marriott, however I still think this building could be tweaked to be a neat building for the future. I don't think that a 30-story building ought to be intended to be a city's centerpiece. A 50-story building, yes, but not a moderately tall building tha's just in the mix. With that said, I really like all of the changes with the new design's floors 1-29. The spire is too "sand castle-ish" and reminds me of the Sheraton's parking deck north of the new convention center.

Instead of having the cagey party hat with the spire, take the 10 foot section with the logo (that the spire sits on) and stretch it all the way across the top of the building - then internally light it with blue at night. The East side of the building should step back from Wilmington St at the 20th floor just about 10 feet, then the top, (the 10-ft tall internally lit part), should step back from the condos another 10 feet on the Wilmington St. side. This way the east and south faces would gracefully step back while the NW corner retains the highest point in the building.

A two-spire, symmetrical form reminds me a little of the new Marriott at Myrtle Beach :D .

myrgd_home_leftimage.jpg

I love spires, but I much prefer them to cap a point tower instead of a rectangular building. Here are two respective examples:

Point tower (One Atlantic Center - Atlanta):

atlanta14.jpg

Rectangle with two spires (Batman building - Nashville):

nashville.jpg

Archived