RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are so many people comparing Raleigh to Charlotte? They are not the same, and shouldn't be treated as though the cities are.

That being said, if you think that Raleigh is missing out on its opportunities for iconic structures, why do you feel that way? And, what are you doing to make that change (no matter how big or small)? If the only thing you're doing is writing on this forum, thats not enough.

I think the balconies could be improved by simply extending them from end to end, so each floor basically has one continuous balcony. That would give kind of a banding effect, as opposed to a lifeboat look.

cityboi, I wrote about this new rendering on Raleighing before I did here. While have about 1000 unique hits a day over there, don't underestimate the number of lurkers on this board who can influence things.

Like I wrote at Raleighing, this RBC building is still a nice building. It's not the Marriott, so I hope I'm not coming across as being adamantly against the design. At Raleighing posted links to 7 tower projects for Charlotte that all are unique buildings.

Charlotte is a convenient source for new architectural comparisons because there just aren't many cities in the US which have 7 20+ story buildings in the pipeline. The other thing is that to a fault, Charlotte likes iconic buildings and is trying really hard to be noticed by the nation.

Honestly, there are only a couple of iconic buildings (skyscrapers) in the US that truly define the city-the Transamerica Building in SF and the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building in NYC. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville have kind of this genero-New South thing going on that to me is not all that iconic but kind of boring. This isn't too say that these skylines aren't appealing, they are-just not iconic. I think the most daring skyscraper to date in the southeast is the Soleil Center but unfortunately that won't be downtown.

I'm excited about the building being built but just can't get excited about the design. I don't think to building has to be iconic, but it could be archtectual significant. Many cities have buildings that are architectually significant but not iconic.

To me this is frustrating: Soleil Center is architectually significant but not DT; the RBC Tower is DT but not architectually significant. Sometimes I feel like the best decisions are not being made.

I understand that the city does have a say so on design issues, but to a limited degree. It is primarily up to the developer and architect to come up with "inspiring" designs. There is only so much a city can do short of denying the development. Just look back at the Marriott ordeal. The more critical the city becomes, the more of a nuisance it becomes to would be developers. Designs will only go back and forth for design changes so many times before it becomes too cost prohibitive to the developer too. Architectural fees for a 30+ story building can't be cheap.

dmcall, point taken

i just wanted to touch on the idea that some are lingering, in my opinion, too much on building something that will "put us on the map"

as DanRNC said, many cities, espcially mid-size don't have iconic buildings, we should be more worried about creating and iconic identity for Raleigh

Bloody naysayers. This is a good looking building. Not great... It isn't another Hannover II, but every building we get isn't going to be. We don't have an entirely blue-glass building downtown yet. This will modernize the skyline substantially.

The green lights it will supposedly have at night should be very impressive too.

Bloody naysayers. This is a good looking building. Not great... It isn't another Hannover II, but every building we get isn't going to be. We don't have an entirely blue-glass building downtown yet. This will modernize the skyline substantially.

The green lights it will supposedly have at night should be very impressive too.

Are you referring to the "green lights" on the Hannover 2? :huh:

I think the balconies could be improved by simply extending them from end to end, so each floor basically has one continuous balcony. That would give kind of a banding effect, as opposed to a lifeboat look.

cityboi, I wrote about this new rendering on Raleighing before I did here. While have about 1000 unique hits a day over there, don't underestimate the number of lurkers on this board who can influence things.

Like I wrote at Raleighing, this RBC building is still a nice building. It's not the Marriott, so I hope I'm not coming across as being adamantly against the design. At Raleighing posted links to 7 tower projects for Charlotte that all are unique buildings.

Charlotte is a convenient source for new architectural comparisons because there just aren't many cities in the US which have 7 20+ story buildings in the pipeline. The other thing is that to a fault, Charlotte likes iconic buildings and is trying really hard to be noticed by the nation.

Keep up what you are doing dmccall,i think even city leaders are taking notice of your website you are a great voice of change for the triangle DON'T STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!! :thumbsup:

What I want to know is when is RBC going to get put on the Raleigh's agenda to approve or not to approve?

Even the CEO of RBC says he expects to break ground by the end of summer. Does that mean the city will appove there design on Aug 29 and RBC breaks ground on Aug 30? :unsure:

August would be great, but he probably means September, which is still technically summer.

Down here in Orlando we're learning to add 6-12 months to any timeline a developer announces.

Drives us bananas, but there is time, and there is developer's time. Although to be fair to the developer, often the wait can be attributed to byzantine permitting procedures. I have a client who only wanted to open a pizzaria, in a unit already fitted for restaurant space, and it took him a year to open !

And that's just for a little pizza shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this back up... If the lot that this is on is across the street from the Mecca then they are doing something already to it. I walked to Chick-fil-a for lunch and saw orange fencing going up and heavy machinery working on something there. Has anyone else seen this?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived