RBC Plaza

NovaRaleigh

I know this should have gone in the other thread, but I didn't want this story to get lost in the shuffle. ..Please forgive me Orulz. But anyways today's N&O reports that the new tower will reach 530 feet. PLEASE don't let this be a typo!! The article states that the building's crown will be 130 feet tall. Construction is expected to start in September. Downtown Raleigh is gaining some height big time.

Read the full story here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/461751.html

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 130 foot addition on top of a 400' tower will be strange looking. That is about 33%. So think of the Wachovia building with a non-functional piece that is about 1/3 the building's height sitting on its top. This could be fantastic, but it could be an huge blunder. I'm very nervous. Maybe the bank is considering changing their name to WTF Bank.

A 130 foot crown!? Good lord. The design must have been updated because there's no way the crown on the last renderings was that tall.

I believe the rendering is accurate.

On the existing rendering, if you consider the last occupied floor the start of the crown then the crown is close to 11 to 13 stories tall. On the other hand, you can say the crown starts on top of the part of the building which houses the logo. In that case the crown is 9 stories. I am taking in to consideration the spire, which is considered part of the building height.

Don't believe me, measure it. I've pretty much disected this thing a while ago. I knew judging by the renderings that this thing was not going to be a mere 400-430 feet tall. Usually renderings from the developer are accurate and not oversized.

It was once though that the renderings for the RCC were oversized. Then I go to the 8 story parking deck in front of the DT Sheraton and see that standing on the 8 floor required me to tilt my head upwards to see the heightest beam of the RCC. If anything the RCC is slightly undersized or dead on.

I believe the same is true with RBC.

I'm not sure that we have seen a final rendering yet. I believe that they enlarged thier logo since the time of last rendering we've seen. Anyway, I don't think a 130' crown+spire will necessarily be that out of place. I was taking a look at other buildings with crowns and I don't think this is over the top. If the crown is 65 feet high and the spire 65' high, it doesn't seem as crazy. Hopefully we will see a new rendering release by the time it goes before the city council in a week.

From the TJB web site this morning, "The Raleigh Planning Commission on Tuesday gave the nod to RBC Centura's design for its downtown headquarters, which, at 427 feet, would be among the tallest buildings in the Triangle."

Are they not including the crown in the total height? Is somebody getting their facts wrong on this?

From the TJB web site this morning, "The Raleigh Planning Commission on Tuesday gave the nod to RBC Centura's design for its downtown headquarters, which, at 427 feet, would be among the tallest buildings in the Triangle."

Are they not including the crown in the total height? Is somebody getting their facts wrong on this?

WRAL is saying 400 feet. Who knows...who to beleive... :whistling:

I would say that the N&O is right on 530' after seeing these renderings.

I would like to know what those buildings are in the reflection of RBC in the second rendering. When are we going to hear announcements on these...j/k

Looks good. It should be very impressive at night.

Raleigh will be similar in a sense to Greensboro, with the building containing the most floors located outside of downtown, but the tallest building by architecture still downtown.

Archived