CONSTRUCTION THREAD: 98 East McBee

g-man430

^^^I drove by this site an hour ago and they were putting up metal fencing next to the barricades that have been set up on McBee Avenue. Lots of activity going on. I even saw a couple bulldozers on site with construction workers from the contractor driving them.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got off work at 4:00 today and there was a big truck sitting on the site that looked to be special equipment. Also lots of other things plus workers.

The truck was blue because I saw it too. It looked like it might of had some sort of big drill on top of it or something. Maybe it's for the dynamiting they're going to do. :unsure:

From looking at other skyscraper projects going on throughout places like Charlotte and Atlanta, it looks like the tower crane will be placed on McBee Avenue in a couple months where the lane is closed. There is no where else to put it, but on that spot and that's where most of these other skyscraper projects put theirs.

Great pics g-man. Can't wait to see the crane go up. Great to see the ball finally rolling. For some crazy reason I'm happy to see McBee down to two lanes, that means something is actually happening now. You know they tease us with these skycranes for these 5 to 8 story buildings, its great to see a sizable building being built finally. The Poinsett Plaza Tower construction seems sooooo long ago. IT'S ABOUT TIME!

I was looking at the pictures and had a question. I probably already know the answer, but here goes. The barricade stretches the whole lenth of the Falls side of the block. The question is, is the front so to speak, the widest part of the building going to face Falls Street?

I also love the idea that the Carolina First branch I have "frequented" the last few years happens to be on the northern corner of that block so I'll be able to see some of the work up close and personal while actually getting something done at the same time. Talk about a win win situation. :lol::thumbsup:

Nevermind I answered my own question. I looked at the picture wrong.

^^^Huh? The building is at the intersection of Spring Street and McBee Avenue, not Falls Street. :mellow: If you got Falls Street mixed up with Spring Street than yes, the front of the building will be facing toward the Church Street bridge.

I have a hard time remembering where Spring Street ends and Falls begins because its the same street just the name changes I suppose at Broad. I was kicking myself when I wrote the post of whether it was Spring or Falls. I went with one with the hopes I was right. Obviously I was wrong, thanks for correcting me. :D

They are boring dewatering wells on the site.

The holes are drilled 50-60 feet deep, and then PVC Well Casing pipe is placed in the holes,

pumps will be attached to the pipe to remove ground water from the site.

BTW The water table on this site is 12 feet and the basement will be 35 feet, so if they don't

remove the ground water, they will be digging a swimming pool.

DSC01064.jpg

Archived