Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I don't doubt it.  Just a very sanitized way of life and I'm still upset about losing a music venue for a clothes store.  I really hope that the Station Inn can get protected before it's torn down.

Agreed.  I feel the same way about the newer suburban subdivisions, they are so incredibly artificial, sanitized and Disnified.  Would not want to live in such a community. 

Yeah, I saw Mutemath there years ago, and I remember thinking then how brilliantly City Hall complemented even Mercy Lounge and Cannery Ballroom across the railroad tracks, by virtue of location and size.

Now, imagine what could've been had City Hall remained open to greet the Gulch-SoBro Bridge...

Yeah, I saw Mutemath there years ago, and I remember thinking then how brilliantly City Hall complemented even Mercy Lounge and Cannery Ballroom across the railroad tracks, by virtue of location and size.

Now, imagine what could've been had City Hall remained open to greet the Gulch-SoBro Bridge...

I was there also. I remember Icon In The Gulch being under construction at the time.

Edited by gannman

I was there also. I remember Icon In The Gulch being under construction at the time.

Hah! Interesting... I was at that show as well! I lived in Knoxville at the time and drove in with some friends for the day.

Very interesting how this city has changed since then.

Oh, I had no idea who they were before that performance. (Lucky me, huh?)

And, you should've seen how sleepy Nashville was back when I was in high school. I mean, as far as I could tell, all people did for fun was cruise around 2nd Ave.

But, believe it or not, I loved the Batman Building and was really impressed with how few super tall buildings we had, And, even in the late 90s, I could envision the future spread of more lived-in buildings from the few that dotted the CBD out toward the I-40 loop. (I lived for that view from I-40!!!) I still have fond reveries of Nashville becoming something more unto itself than what we see happening in other cities---this conflation of urbanism and height.

Now, with Rutledge Hill and the Riverfront on one side and the Gulch on the other---and Crescendo on the horizon---we may have developers clamoring to fill in the gap from the CBD to I-40 sooner than later (i.e. dream come true).

But, my word! I am most excited about the Capitol View and Charlotte Pike developments. This could mean a more rapid spread of connected, radial development that none of Nashville's "competitors" can boast about.

• Like 4

Now, with Rutledge Hill and the Riverfront on one side and the Gulch on the other---and Crescendo on the horizon---we may have developers clamoring to fill in the gap from the CBD to I-40 sooner than later (i.e. dream come true).

And Beaman's enormous asphalt wasteland right in the middle of it all drives me crazy... I wonder how much his canyon in between the CBD and Midtown has held this city's development back?

I acknowledge that he's here to stay until he decides to cash in on all this land (years from now), but holy cow is it frustrating.

• Like 2

And Beaman's enormous asphalt wasteland right in the middle of it all drives me crazy... I wonder how much his canyon in between the CBD and Midtown has held this city's development back?

I acknowledge that he's here to stay until he decides to cash in on all this land (years from now), but holy cow is it frustrating.

It's frustrating because, one one hand, his are very successful businesses that would probably be just as successful were they to move into Metro Center. But, on the other hand, his public persona and political machinations have been largely antagonistic toward, well, anything progressive. (I mean, his tone and manner are so revolting it's almost comical.) It's tempting to entertain the notion that, by leaving his business entities where they are, Lee Beaman himself  is defying other development in the area.

I've made peace with the fact that Beaman Automotive et al. won't be moving anywhere in my lifetime. His name has the perfect location and little (no?) competition. 

Edited by vinemp

^Thanks for posting up the pics dmills. So is RMH completely developed now, or are there lots still left?

I can answer that one. There is at least one more apartment building planned. IT will be on the eastern side of the property, behind Nance Place.

They may have room for one more builing at some point, but I have heard nothing.