Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

Perhaps at some point these cheaply-built buildings will get demolished and replaced by something better.  Wishful thinking?

Well I mean, if they aren't demolished in the future, they'll eventually just fall down on their own.  There is no way many of these new developments last more than fifty years without being constantly rebuilt.  It'd be really nice if these developers would think about these issues from the start and put a little more money and effort into creating something that is lasting both in terms of design quality and build quality...but alas...the allure of the prospect of fast cash is too high a mental hurdle to overcome for many, so instead, we get disposable garbage like this, that stands as an obvious monument to the cash grab rather than an attempt to actually improve the neighborhood: 

1812%20Belcourt.png

'Meh...give it a name that includes a trendy buzzword or two and put some flowering bushes along the base and nobody will notice all of the egregious shortcuts we took!'

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Hello Everyone, 

I am a long time (daily) lurker.. and am going to try and start posting every once in a while. 

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in to keep everyone informed of all that is going on. 

A few weeks ago, I took a little walk around downtown and took some photos. 

http://evansconceptdesign.com/nashville-walkabout

They aren't edited or organized, but if there are some out-of-towners out there it might be nice to

see newer photos of a small portion of downtown. 

I try to walk around and take photos as much as I can, so if anybody has any requests let me know. 

Thank you for the photos Evansnathan. Some were very familiar to me but you sought out a lot of overlooked (at least by me) spots that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Also, 1st Ave and the riverfront promenade seem much more expansive than I remember. Good stuff. I think the work the city is doing as far as amenities and livability along the riverfront, and attempting with the pedestrian bridge to the Gulch, will go along way in making the city attractive for businesses and residents (with families?) in the long run. 

Thanks again, even though I was in town a few weeks ago, I didn't get a chance to take my customary tour of the town, so your photos are much appreciated. I did, however, make it to the Frist Center, which has a great show on Japanese prints and their influence on European art in the late 19th and early 20th centuries; and to Pinewood Social. The Wedge salad was fantastic. Pork chop was pretty good. It's a fun spot.

Hello Everyone, 

I am a long time (daily) lurker.. and am going to try and start posting every once in a while. 

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in to keep everyone informed of all that is going on. 

A few weeks ago, I took a little walk around downtown and took some photos. 

http://evansconceptdesign.com/nashville-walkabout

They aren't edited or organized, but if there are some out-of-towners out there it might be nice to

see newer photos of a small portion of downtown. 

I try to walk around and take photos as much as I can, so if anybody has any requests let me know.

Welcome to the forum. I welcome more photographers to the site. It takes a lot of time to put a construction thread together and the more people taking pictures the better.

I saw that yesterday.    Looks like they're excavating either a full or half level of underground parking.   

We had it up last week or maybe the week before last. I can't remember anymore. So much happening.

How many fixed cranes inside the 440 do you guys think will be up by the start of 2015? My guess about 18 total but, the majority will be within sight of the Gulch.

Well some will come down, but this is my estimate assuming, and that a big ASSumption that everything starts at the prescribed times.

But we will have probably two at the SoBro site

1 @ Hilton Garden Inn

1 @ the SESAC building which should be starting soon

2 @ Gulch Crossings

2 @ 1515

probably 2 @ the Westin

2 @ Buckingham

2 @ the Eakin project

1 @ 1818 Church which should start by that time

1@ the Old Westmont site already up

2 to 4 @ the HCA project in the N Gulch

If the Virgin project starts, then 1 or 2

I think we may have another project in the Gulch by then

Depends on how they do the construction at the new apartments then we could have 1 each at the following projects

1 @ Crescent Bluebird on Division

1 @ Music City Flats @ 17th  & Grand

1 @ the Phoenix project @ 17th & McGavock

1 @ the 17th & Grand project..the 17 story

Maybe 1 @ the 909 Rosa Parks project

maybe 1 at the Charlotte Ave Sheds project. The Lincoln Properties that is that is supposed to start in June

And I will just about lay money there will be a few surprises in there.

• Like 2

I think it's odd that Artisan on 18th doesn't have a crane yet, and I would assume they are going to add one as they add height. It's going to be bigger than their Note 16 project and it had a crane early on. 

Edited by Hey_Hey

I think it's odd that Artisan on 18th doesn't have a crane yet, and I would assume they are going to add one as they add height. It's going to be bigger than their Note 16 project and it had a crane early on. 

From the looks of that project, they are going to wing it with a track crane as it is stick frame and they can do it with out a tower crane.

Aside from the horrible street level aesthetics, this will be an interesting view of the skyline (well, about 25 ft above it -- damn power lines) in a few years.

You'll be able to see 1515 Demonbreun, possibly Buckingham (WestEnd Midtown? EastWestEnd? What?), probably at least a fair portion of Gulch Crossing, as well as the other buildings in the Gulch/Midtown "skyline"......and more interesting....Westin and Turnberry should appear almost dead in the middle of Lafayette as it disappears under the interstate, which will connect the skylines from this view (the federal courthouse is on the far right of the photo, with Downtown/SoBro just off screen).

metro archives on facebook posted a nice postcard from the arcade from 1908 today. here is their facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/MetroNashvilleArchives?fref=nf

There are some truly gut wrenching photos on that page, especially the 'then and now' photos they have posted.  It is truly criminal what we have torn down in this city over the years. 

• Like 1

^The likely worst loss was that of Polk Place, the postcard below that of the Arcade (hell, even the loss of the apartment building that replaced it, the Polk Flats, was lamentable).

It is mind-boggling to me as to why anyone would think it a quality idea to demolish the home of a United States President.  It's even more infuriating when one is reminded of the fact that a Best Western Motel now sits in it's place. 

I'd feel a little better about our history if I could say with confidence that 'we can move on now, because we've learned from our past,' but it's pretty clear to me that we have not.  Not at all.  I do wonder how long it will be until the last of the survivors of this prolonged architectural genocide will be picked off for a new motel or apartment building that will look silly and outdated in thirty years (assuming the sh*tty construction we see these days will even be standing in thirty years)? 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

And Mr. Giarratana for destroying the Tennessee Theater and the art deco gem, Sudekum Building. Really makes your stomach sink when you see Church Street during the early post WW2 era. Then there is the thoroughly absurd Palmer hole where the old Corinthian Lodge stood.  Even his pipe dream West End Summit was designed for the possibility of the lodge remaining in that spot.  But when the opportunity arose to show "progress" on the site, that was not to be.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

And Mr. Giarratana for destroying the Tennessee Theater and the art deco gem, Sudekum Building. Really makes your stomach sink when you see Church Street during the early post WW2 era. Then there is the thoroughly absurd Palmer hole where the old Corinthian Lodge stood.  Even his pipe dream West End Summit was designed for the possibility of the lodge remaining in that spot.  But when the opportunity arose to show "progress" on the site, that was not to be.  

Any pics of said buildings?

Any pics of said buildings?

Sudekum Building and Tennessee Theater. didn't know that the building was built 20 years before the theater was finished in 1950.  https://www.facebook.com/MetroNashvilleArchives/photos/a.209116102553658.53846.187209504744318/317975491667718/?type=1&theater

Also, there was another beautiful art modern building that was the second HQ for the National Life Corporation that stood from about 1940 until about 1980.  You can see it in skyline shots from that time frame, and it sat about a block from the capitol, behind the War Memorial Auditorium.  For about 10 years it stood next to the newer NLT tower (now Tennessee or Snodgrass Tower).  Anyway, I'll see if I can dig up a photo of that gem.  Its neoclassical predecessor (as HQ to NLT) was demolished about the time the "new" tower was completed around 1970. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

^It was awful that that dense block of buildings along 7th was demolished en masse -- all for an extension of the forlorn plaza surrounding the now-Snodgrass Tower. I still remember the ones on the southern side which stood into the early '80s which could be seen from the library. One day they were there, and the next, poof, gone. :(