Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

53 minutes ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

It's funny how 99% of those buildings are square and there aren't a zillion complaints on here. 

In my opinion, it's not the fact that the building is square but that all the tops are flat.  Look at the new buildings in and around the gulch, BStone, 222, 505...  not a lot of creativity as far as a crown goes.  Everyone on here would give up a first born for the original Signature building.  Yes, from the ground up it's square but you hit the higher floors and crown... WOW.

1 hour ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

It's funny how 99% of those buildings are square and there aren't a zillion complaints on here. 

Well, to be fair, when you've got a world class experience at street level like San Francisco does, then the aesthetics of the skyline sort of become a more distant concern.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

Happy post 4th, I'm visiting San Francisco and really enjoying their skyline. Here is my view from St. Francis Westin in Union Station. Makes our Westin look even worse. 

Make time to visit the cable car powerhouse/museum. It's one of the coolest spots in S.F. and is mostly overlooked by tourists. Everyone knows about the cable cars, but few understand how they work. Seeing it in person is a modern marvel. It's on Nob Hill on Mason St. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Well, to be fair, when you've got a world class experience at street level like San Francisco does, then the aesthetics of the skyline sort of become a more distant concern.  

Agreed.

I've always thought San Francisco was great in spite of its uninspiring skyline. 

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

London is probably a bad example because a large % of their buildings are very unique. They also have a thousand footer (The Shard).

278DF7CF00000578-3032452-image-m-8_14291

Fair enough... but most of those have only been there for a decade or less of London's 2000 plus year history, so I think it still applies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT: Looking NE at James Robertson Hotel (now being remodeled as Holston House Hotel) and Sam Davis Hotel.  Around 1950:

Aerial of James Robertson Hotel, Sam Davis Hotel, 1950 x.jpg

I lament that that the James Robertson's "twin" across the street (Genesco Bldg, IIRC) was demolished (along with the church at Commerce, the Sam Davis, the magnificent onion-domed Vine Street Temple...) :(

• Like 4