Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

2 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

^^   A reminder of just how dismal the riverfront was a mere 12 yrs ago with the Thermal Transfer plant looming over the foot of Demonbreun and burning garbage 24-7.  

Note the Red Grooms carousel was still in place then.    When, oh when, will we see it again?    

I don't even understand why they took that away, unless it was always intended to be a temporary exhibit.  I agree that they should bring it back.  Plenty of space to put it, and presumably it's just sitting in a storage warehouse somewhere?

3 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

^^   A reminder of just how dismal the riverfront was a mere 12 yrs ago with the Thermal Transfer plant looming over the foot of Demonbreun and burning garbage 24-7.  

Note the Red Grooms carousel was still in place then.    When, oh when, will we see it again?    

From what I hear, the Red Grooms Carousel will have a place in the new Tennessee State Museum complex.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

FYI: While the plant itself may have still been there in 2004, the fire the put it out of operation occurred in 2002. So no burning garbage 24-7 in 2004.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Nashville Public Radio looked into this as part of their Curious Nashville series. Sounds like the carousel might be part of the new museum if they can find the money for it. Also mentioned: They pointed out that it's a good thing the carousel was taken down years ago, because had it stayed it would've been destroyed by the flood of 2010.

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/curious-nashville-what-happened-whimsical-red-grooms-carousel-and-why-it-could-spin-again#stream/0

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

Nashville Public Radio looked into this as part of their Curious Nashville series. Sounds like the carousel might be part of the new museum if they can find the money for it. Also mentioned: They pointed out that it's a good thing the carousel was taken down years ago, because had it stayed it would've been destroyed by the flood of 2010.

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/curious-nashville-what-happened-whimsical-red-grooms-carousel-and-why-it-could-spin-again#stream/0

Great point...I hadn't thought of the effect the flood might have on it.  Glad to hear of it's likely reemergence, although it's kind of too bad it'll just be sitting inside a building.

The Cumberland looks like it's at a flood stage level there. So what were those smokestacks. The're very substantial for early 1900s.  Factory or municipal power/heat generator?  And just have to say those facades along the square were stunningly beautiful. Such a shame that they were destroyed in the 1960s/70s. 

And that railroad bridge is swiveled "open" in the photo. 

• Like 2

What I find interesting is how James Robertson Parkway completely changed the street grid north and west of the capitol.  I knew there were homes and other buildings just a block or two to the west and north of the capitol.  I guess I never thought about how what appears to be 7th Ave ran along the west side of the capitol where the TN State Supreme Court and the State Library and Archives buildings now sit.  I wonder what prompted the restructuring of that area?  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

What I find interesting is how James Robertson Parkway completely changed the street grid north and west of the capitol.  I knew there were homes and other buildings just a block or two to the west and north of the capitol.  I guess I never thought about how what appears to be 7th Ave ran along the west side of the capitol where the TN State Supreme Court and the State Library and Archives buildings now sit.  I wonder what prompted the restructuring of that area?  

urban renewal