NWA Weather

Well more precip is on the way. Looks like it could be here in another hour or so. It looks like all wintry precip in Oklahoma but it's warmed up a bit here in Fayetteville. Unless it cools down looks like it will just be a cold rain. It's already in the upper 30's here. Now Benton County could be a different story. Could be freezing rain or something else up there.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it will end up here in NWA but Oklahoma is getting thunder snow. Mainly around central part of the state like OK City but it's heading over to Tulsa now. But don't know if it would end up as snow here. Could be freezing rain or sleet.

No thundersnow or even thundersleet here in Tulsa. We have had a few good sleet showers off and on so far today but nothing very exciting... :angry: It looks like we have between 2-3 inches of sleet on the ground now. Just off to the south and east of Tulsa there are 1000s w/o power because of yesterdays freezing rain. This storm has been a big disappointment for me so far. I was expecting much more exciting weather.

Fayetteville has been even worse with temps in the mid-30s with just rain...Yuck!

No thundersnow or even thundersleet here in Tulsa. We have had a few good sleet showers off and on so far today but nothing very exciting... :angry: It looks like we have between 2-3 inches of sleet on the ground now. Just off to the south and east of Tulsa there are 1000s w/o power because of yesterdays freezing rain. This storm has been a big disappointment for me so far. I was expecting much more exciting weather.

Fayetteville has been even worse with temps in the mid-30s with just rain...Yuck!

Well so far here it's just been rain. This latest batch is also coming down as rain. I suppose it could switch over at some point but it's looking like Fayetteville won't get hardly anything but rain out of all of this.

cur_cen_440x297.jpg

cen_curtemp_440x297.jpg

us_okc_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg

How is it right now up in NWA ?? Looks like the sleet/ or freezing rain is falling on radar?? How many of yall have the day off from work tommorrow??? The roads might be nasty.

Some rivers were flooding in other parts(Central) of Arkansas with the heavy rains.

Right now there's a light rain falling over Bentonville and Rogers, but the temp is above freezing and I saw no signs of ice anywhere. Although my mother-in-laws' stairs is covered in a thin layer of ice and I nearly busted my a$$ today. Other than that it doesn't look like a freeze will occur here until early morning if it does at all.

Right now there's a light rain falling over Bentonville and Rogers, but the temp is above freezing and I saw no signs of ice anywhere. Although my mother-in-laws' stairs is covered in a thin layer of ice and I nearly busted my a$$ today. Other than that it doesn't look like a freeze will occur here until early morning if it does at all.

Scratch that... as I was typing that our light rain just turned to freezing rain. There's rice-sized ice already accumulating on the ground.

How is it right now up in NWA ?? Looks like the sleet/ or freezing rain is falling on radar?? How many of yall have the day off from work tommorrow??? The roads might be nasty.

Some rivers were flooding in other parts(Central) of Arkansas with the heavy rains.

Looks like the northern part of the metro has had some freezing rain. The southern part just got a lot of rain. Although it does look like we had some freezing rain overnight. I haven't been outside yet. It's only going to be in the 20's today. Looks like some of the coldest temps of the year so far. Could have some lows in the single digits tonight/tomorrow.

Looks like the northern part of the metro has had some freezing rain. The southern part just got a lot of rain. Although it does look like we had some freezing rain overnight. I haven't been outside yet. It's only going to be in the 20's today. Looks like some of the coldest temps of the year so far. Could have some lows in the single digits tonight/tomorrow.

The parking lot where I work is now covered in a very slick film of ice. I would think the roads up here are pretty bad right now. I may be stuck at work until the roads warm up a bit.

The parking lot where I work is now covered in a very slick film of ice. I would think the roads up here are pretty bad right now. I may be stuck at work until the roads warm up a bit.

Well things aren't warming up. If anything I think temps have been dropping. There's been flurries all day long down here. Temps have now dropped into the teens in many places in NWA this afternoon. Wind chills are in the single digits in many places also. Looks like a cold night, but the coldest night will be afterwards when the clouds finally give way. Single digits will be common then, but I think a few NWA location could hit single digits as well tonight.

Im in Gravette and still dont have power, its been out since Saturday. My wife called Carroll Elec and she was told it could be Wednesday befor its back on. We left the water running a little lastnight so the pipes wouldnt freeze.

Chris

My wife and I have someone coming up form McAlester. She said school is canceled all week there because of the forecasted length of the power outage. Yuck.

Here in Tulsa, we have about 2-3 inches of compacted sleet on all neighborhood roads. Normally I have no problem driving on snow but this is completely different and very dangerous. I will probably make an attempt to get to Fayetteville tomorrow though, I guess I should work some.

In the coming week, it should remain on the cool side with another possible winter weather event for this weekend followed by another shot of cold air for the frist of next week. Still a few days too far out to predict if it will be snow, rain, or sleet but the upper atmosphere has cooled off quite a bit. This system will probably depend on ground air temps for the type of precip. If its above freezing at the surface it will be rain, if it is below it will be snow. Should be much simpler than the last storm.

Here are a couple of pics I took this morning on my Tulsa to Fayetteville commute. It was like a whole other world between the Cherokee Turnpike and the Arkansas border. Complete destruction of trees and powerlines everywhere. I would estimate over 2 inches of Ice accumulation in a large area.

360866012_2cdb571156.jpg

360866017_f6f0826779.jpg

Winter Storm Watch has been issued for about the western 2/3s of Oklahoma by the Weather Service in Norman. I would expect one to be issued for our area over the coming 24 hours. This will be for this weekend though sometime on Sunday night most likely. Preliminary snowfall forecasts have ranged from 3-6 with over 8 inches possible in some areas. Still much too early to pinpoint who will get what so don't get your hopes up yet snowlovers. Things can change, especially with what has or HAS NOT happened so far in much of the urban corridor of NWA.

Nice pics Colby. I wouldn't want that kind of ice accumulation here, but I would like to be able to take some pics of it. Reminds me of a trip years ago I went on on the old Hwy 71. Only the higher elevations had gotten the ice. The sun was just coming up and it was a beautiful sight with the sun shining on all that ice over by Artist Point. I didn't have a camera with me of course.

Winter Storm Watch has been issued for about the western 2/3s of Oklahoma by the Weather Service in Norman. I would expect one to be issued for our area over the coming 24 hours. This will be for this weekend though sometime on Sunday night most likely. Preliminary snowfall forecasts have ranged from 3-6 with over 8 inches possible in some areas. Still much too early to pinpoint who will get what so don't get your hopes up yet snowlovers. Things can change, especially with what has or HAS NOT happened so far in much of the urban corridor of NWA.

Yeah I've been hearing quite a few things. It's hard to say. But after past experiences I'm not getting my hopes up. But maybe I'll be able to take some snow pics with my new camera. I'm still waiting to see the sun one of these days. It's been a week now. The lens I have for my camera isn't the fastest and some sunny days would be nice to try out the new camera.

Will the sun come out today??? If not then we probably won't see it till next week sometime. I've been seeing the snow predictions go down. I've been seeing lower predictions like 1-3" more often now. KNWA seems to be leaning to the mixed precip option. Dan Skoff said he thought it could end up being similar to the last event a cold rain/freezing rain event. Guess I'll have to see how the forecasts turn out today.

Will the sun come out today??? If not then we probably won't see it till next week sometime. I've been seeing the snow predictions go down. I've been seeing lower predictions like 1-3" more often now. KNWA seems to be leaning to the mixed precip option. Dan Skoff said he thought it could end up being similar to the last event a cold rain/freezing rain event. Guess I'll have to see how the forecasts turn out today.

There will probably be a little sun off and on this morning then I would expect more clouds throughout the afternoon. Temps should warm into the 30s. Snow/sleet should start sometime tomorrow morning hopefully we can stay below freezing through the weekend and keep everything in the form of snow. I would guess that most people in Benton County and eastern OK have had enough of the freezing rain and sleet by now.

Here are the total ice and sleet amounts over the area from last weeks storms. This is from the National Weather Service in Tulsa.

362529821_28006b63ef_o.png

362529822_affd6f6054_o.png

Thanks for the maps Colby. Yeah it was nice and sunny earlier. I rushed to get all my work done so I could get off early and now it's clouded up again. It's not as dark though as it has been this past week so I'll probably still try to go out and take some pics.

Well we had some light sleet here in Fayetteville this morning. But it's slowly warming up, the next wave that comes through could end up just being rain. But it also looks like it could switch back over to freezing precip tonight even if it does become rain today.

Well we had some light sleet here in Fayetteville this morning. But it's slowly warming up, the next wave that comes through could end up just being rain. But it also looks like it could switch back over to freezing precip tonight even if it does become rain today.

Dissapointing once again. They have now cancelled the Winter Storm Warning for Washington county and left us w/ a Winter Wx Advisory. 1 or 2 inches of slush is about all that is expected now. :angry:

Dissapointing once again. They have now cancelled the Winter Storm Warning for Washington county and left us w/ a Winter Wx Advisory. 1 or 2 inches of slush is about all that is expected now. :angry:

Yeah I had a feeling. Even yesterday Dan Skoff on KNWA was saying he thought the only county that should be left was Benton County and it would probably only affect the northwest corner of that county as well.

Archived