NWA Weather

Another couple of hot days today and tomorrow before we get back to more spring like weather. Highs near 80 for the area, which is nearly 20 degrees above normal. Cold front will come through the area Tusday and this will bring temps back down to slightly below normals. Highs in the 50s with lows near freezing on a few mornings. This will also bring a slight chance of rain.

Yeah although this will seem a bit cool, we'll actually be getting back to close to the average temps. It's about this time of year that we generally get our last frosts.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah although this will seem a bit cool, we'll actually be getting back to close to the average temps. It's about this time of year that we generally get our last frosts.

Yep, last frost is usually around the beginning or middle of April but we can get them into the beginning of May.

Well, it looks like winter weather will be coming back tonight and over the weekend. Lows could be down below 30 tonight if we get good radiational cooling. Then a chance of a rain/snow mix possible Thursday night. Sunday morning should be the coldest of the week with lows down into the lower to mid 20s. So cover up the plants for the next few nights.

Well, it looks like winter weather will be coming back tonight and over the weekend. Lows could be down below 30 tonight if we get good radiational cooling. Then a chance of a rain/snow mix possible Thursday night. Sunday morning should be the coldest of the week with lows down into the lower to mid 20s. So cover up the plants for the next few nights.

Yeah, hard to believe. KNWA actually has Sunday morning at 20. I wonder what this is going to do to all the vegetation outside. Lower 20's isn't anything to take lightly.

THe NWS has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the metro and NE OK. From about a Bartleville to Fayetteville line there could be a little snowfall tonight. An extreme maximum of about an inch on grassy area is about the most that is expected.

Temps now are in the upper 40s to around 50 but dewpoints are in the teens. Once the precip starts to fall our temps will too. Good old Evaporational cooling will take place so we could have reading in the mid 30s and still see snowfall.

Of more serious concern is the expected lows this weekend. The NWS now has us at 19 Saturday morning and 16 Sunday morning. That is a big concern for most plants and flowers that have been planted.

Here is a link to the NWS Forecast: NWS Fayetteville Forecast

Yeah seems like the temp predictions just keep dropping. I'm wondering what this weekend is going to do with all the vegetation. If it was closer to the freezing point it probably wouldn't be quite so bad. But teens is pretty cold. I also noticed the snow and sleet this morning. There wasn't anything on the streets. I couldn't even really tell much was in the grassy areas, although it was dark when I left. But I certainly saw it on the vehicles.

Last night I was driving down College Avenue in my brand new car in heavy snow. At least it wasn't sticking to the streets, but still sure was snowing hard for April. Tonight a hard freeze with lows in the teens. I've said goodbye to my apple trees, pear trees, plum trees. Darn global warming!

Last night I was driving down College Avenue in my brand new car in heavy snow. At least it wasn't sticking to the streets, but still sure was snowing hard for April. Tonight a hard freeze with lows in the teens. I've said goodbye to my apple trees, pear trees, plum trees. Darn global warming!

Yeah this is going to kill off a lot of leaves and vegetation. Might make it hard on everything as well if we end up having a drought this summer. Since everything had to use extra energy to put out new leaves and such since these cold temps are going to kill a lot of growth.

Darn global warming!

Ditto. I challenge everyone reading this forum to purchase two of those ?$4 weird, twisted, energy efficient light bulbs and put them on their front/back porch or garage/basement/attic fixtures. Ya know... place them somewhere you might accidentally leave the light on for days, weeks, or maybe even longer. If you can adopt the style of light output, purchase more and integrate them into more places.

If we ALL do a little

Ditto. I challenge everyone reading this forum to purchase two of those ?$4 weird, twisted, energy efficient light bulbs and put them on their front/back porch or garage/basement/attic fixtures. Ya know... place them somewhere you might accidentally leave the light on for days, weeks, or maybe even longer. If you can adopt the style of light output, purchase more and integrate them into more places.

If we ALL do a little

We have beat the old record for the month of April in Fayetteville. The old record for the month was 19 degrees but last night Drake Field made it down to 17. I am not sure what the records were at XNA. They have only been tracking weather for the past few years since they opened. I am sure that they beat their old record as well when they dropped down to 15 briefly. I hope everyone enjoys one of the coldest Easter mornings ever.

After the week we've had in Fayetteville a 60 degree Sunday with sunshine was like a summers day. I managed to mow the lawn, fall asleep on my hammock, wash my new Mustang, fall asleep on the hammock. Just a great day to be in northwest Arkansas...and fall asleep on my hammock.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a pretty good chance of some severe storms the evening and overnight. Nothing going on out west yet this morning but as the system approaches and the dryline begins to move across Oklahoma, I expect strong to severe storms to develop along it. There is a moderate risk for severe weather but with the cloudy conditions so far today it will limit the amount of daytime heating and thus limiting destabilization. We still could see a MCS (line of severe storms) later tonight with damaging winds being the main threat. Let me know if anyone sees anything interesting. :D

This is not exactly NWA weather but I thought that a few of you might enjoy this. A friend of mine from back at OU seems to always be in the right place at the right time when he chases. Once again yesterday he got some amazing video in western Oklahoma. His video is on the front page of CNN today.

Here is a link to the amazing video: 50 yards away!

This is not exactly NWA weather but I thought that a few of you might enjoy this. A friend of mine from back at OU seems to always be in the right place at the right time when he chases. Once again yesterday he got some amazing video in western Oklahoma. His video is on the front page of CNN today.

Here is a link to the amazing video: 50 yards away!

Ok should've read this first before posting elsewhere. Are the camera's expensive?

Ok should've read this first before posting elsewhere. Are the camera's expensive?

No, you can use any camera you want. From a cell phone to a real movie camera. Just above normal home DVD style cameras are the most common now.

I'm having a hard time getting the video to work but I think I know what video it is. I've been seeing it on tv quite a bit. I think they even did a little interview on CNN or one of the news stations.

I'm having a hard time getting the video to work but I think I know what video it is. I've been seeing it on tv quite a bit. I think they even did a little interview on CNN or one of the news stations.

Yeah, they did do a phone interview with him. He is always in the right place at the right time. I have never seen anyone get so lucky when chasing. I also saw Reed and Joel on a OETA show a few weeks ago, called Tornado Glory. A TV crew followed them around back in 2003 and got alot of footage. I was not with them but I was chasing in the same areas as some of the storms that were on the show.

Archived