NWA Weather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was a great day although it was breezy, I still enjoyed it. Hopefully we have more days like this. But, like you said ^^ it doesn't look like it's going to come this week.

Well it is February now, it won't be too long before things start warming up. I know I'm going to go crazy with my camera as soon as the flowers start blooming and things start turning green again.

Yuck, I am glad yesterday is over with! Way too hot for me. :D The next few days should be near normal on temps with a few chances of freezing drizzle or light rain. Nothing to exciting for sure. I have seen a mention of some thunderstorms for the beginning of next week but it looks like the forecast is starting to back off of it now. There will probably be thunder but much farther south.

It's way too early to get too excited about this. But there are some forecasts out there with snow on Valentine's Day. Currently we seem to be in a pattern where a front goes through and thing slowly warm up only to have another front go through a few days later.

It's way too early to get too excited about this. But there are some forecasts out there with snow on Valentine's Day. Currently we seem to be in a pattern where a front goes through and thing slowly warm up only to have another front go through a few days later.

That doesn't sound natural... snow on Valentine's Day. I bet cabins with fireplaces are going to be booked up. I'm ready for some warm weather to come along.

I predict an 85% chance of flurries, snow, sleet, or freezing fog during the St. Patrick's week (until a couple of years ago it had also been the UA spring break week.) If you look back at history there is ususally a cold snap with precipitation for one or more days in mid-March. Let's see what happens...

I predict an 85% chance of flurries, snow, sleet, or freezing fog during the St. Patrick's week (until a couple of years ago it had also been the UA spring break week.) If you look back at history there is ususally a cold snap with precipitation for one or more days in mid-March. Let's see what happens...

Yeah we do seem to have some sort of cold snap during March.

We also have the greatest chance of heavy snow in the month of march. Some of the largest snowfalls on record happen in during this month.

True, is it because of the increased moisture? The winter months in general seem rather dry with no humidity.

True, is it because of the increased moisture? The winter months in general seem rather dry with no humidity.

You got it. An increase of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and arctic fronts still moving through the area. If and when they line up right we can get a lot of snow fast. I think the last time I remember a really good March snow was spring break of 1999. I believe we ended up with over 10 inches. The Superstorm of 1993 was also during the month of March. NWA had temps in the single digits with a few inches of snow but the southeast and eastern parts of the US got hit with hurricane force winds and feet of snow as far south as Atlanta.

You got it. An increase of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and arctic fronts still moving through the area. If and when they line up right we can get a lot of snow fast. I think the last time I remember a really good March snow was spring break of 1999. I believe we ended up with over 10 inches. The Superstorm of 1993 was also during the month of March. NWA had temps in the single digits with a few inches of snow but the southeast and eastern parts of the US got hit with hurricane force winds and feet of snow as far south as Atlanta.

I think I remember those. I think that '99 storm was the last 'big' snowfall I remember getting. Although I guess it depends on what you classify as big I guess.

Looks like rain off and on today and tonight. Overnight tonight an arctic front should try and push through and if enough cold air gets in here before the precip ends we might have a little light snow Tuesday morning. Once again it will probably depend on how deep the cold air is and if it can make it up and over the mountains. Otherwise we should hang out in the upper 20s and lower 30s for highs over the middle of the week before a return flow kicks back in for the end of the week and we see warmer temps.

Looks like rain off and on today and tonight. Overnight tonight an arctic front should try and push through and if enough cold air gets in here before the precip ends we might have a little light snow Tuesday morning. Once again it will probably depend on how deep the cold air is and if it can make it up and over the mountains. Otherwise we should hang out in the upper 20s and lower 30s for highs over the middle of the week before a return flow kicks back in for the end of the week and we see warmer temps.

Yeah I'm not getting excited yet. It seems often in times like these that the Ozarks hold up the cold air coming in and the precip ends up not turning to snow. You never know but I'm not holding my breath here.

Expect light snow off and on today. I don't see the temps going much higher than the mid to upper 20s over the next 2 days. So it should be a nice and cold mid-week. Snow should not ammount to more than an inch if that. Warmer weather comes in on Friday and especially into the beginning of next week.

Expect light snow off and on today. I don't see the temps going much higher than the mid to upper 20s over the next 2 days. So it should be a nice and cold mid-week. Snow should not ammount to more than an inch if that. Warmer weather comes in on Friday and especially into the beginning of next week.

So far it looks to me the snow is staying further west. But the way Colby I've been meaning to ask you. For someone so interested in the weather and such how did you not end up in meteorology? If you don't mind me asking that is.

So far it looks to me the snow is staying further west. But the way Colby I've been meaning to ask you. For someone so interested in the weather and such how did you not end up in meteorology? If you don't mind me asking that is.

It is called Math! I was in the Meteorology program at OU until I found out that calculas 1-4 , engineering math, thermodynamics, and whatever math came after that was not working out for me. I really don't hate math in general but I guess it hates me. I understand all other aspects of meteorolgy and love it. After trying to get through Calc 2 a second time, I just decided to switch majors to Geography. I love Geography and it didn't involve any real math so I ended up graduating a few years later.

It is called Math! I was in the Meteorology program at OU until I found out that calculas 1-4 , engineering math, thermodynamics, and whatever math came after that was not working out for me. I really don't hate math in general but I guess it hates me. I understand all other aspects of meteorolgy and love it. After trying to get through Calc 2 a second time, I just decided to switch majors to Geography. I love Geography and it didn't involve any real math so I ended up graduating a few years later.

I see. Yeah I never was a fan of math. I did okay in it (until calculus) but just never liked doing it. I do enjoy geography more.

A little bit of snow in the area this morning. I think that it probably surprised most people. Looks like we got between 1/2 and an inch in the Mt Sequoyah area. Very cold today and tonight, lows may reach the single digits if we do get good radiational cooling. Much warmer and windy tomorrow highs should reach the 40s.

Here is a picture I took before heading to work this morning showing the snow:

391209076_baa84d5fbf_b.jpg

Yeah from what I saw much of Fayetteville had at least 1/4" this morning. I didn't see too many predict much on the snow. But it looks like Dan Skoff on KNWA pegged it this time. I think the snow might have accumulated some more but eventually as the day wore on it started disappearing. I think the bigger news was the cold. I don't think I saw temps even get up to 25. Looks like a few more cold days, although nothing like today, before a warming trend. I can't believe I've been seeing predictions next week for mid 60's.

It looks like we tied the our coldest morning low of the season last night in Fayetteville and beat it by a degree at XNA. Drake Field got down to 7 degrees and XNA made it down to 6. Although I did see a couple of other weather stations in Fayetteville that made it down to 6 degrees as well. This will be the last really cold morning for quite some time. Starting on Sunday we should start seeing above normal temps for most of next week at least. Most of you will probably enjoy this but I am already missing the single digits and snow of the last few days. :(

It looks like we tied the our coldest morning low of the season last night in Fayetteville and beat it by a degree at XNA. Drake Field got down to 7 degrees and XNA made it down to 6. Although I did see a couple of other weather stations in Fayetteville that made it down to 6 degrees as well. This will be the last really cold morning for quite some time. Starting on Sunday we should start seeing above normal temps for most of next week at least. Most of you will probably enjoy this but I am already missing the single digits and snow of the last few days. :(

I don't mind it so much myself but I admit I don't like having so much cold weather at one time. I like my heating bill to come down every once in a while. :lol: I'd also enjoy the colder temps if there was more snow with it. It's just going to seen weird to go from this to 50's or 60's next week.

Colby I've got a question for you. I know lenticular clouds tend to form around mountains. I'm pretty sure the Ozarks and Ouachitas aren't tall enough for that. But what about the Appalachians? Or is something you're mainly just going to see out west around the Rockies? I believe I saw a few out west last year, although I didn't get very good pics of them.

Archived