NWA Weather

Looks like a pretty good chance of snow tomorrow. Doesn't seem to be much question of if we'll get snow. More of just how much accumulation there will be. After hearing some forecasts with some high amounts, 6-7". That seems to be really dropping. Earlier I was hearing 1-2" but the newest forecasts seem to be dropping that back to more like a dusting to an inch. Should start out as rain and then in the afternoon switching over to a mix before totally changing over to snow late in the day.

Yeah, there's a big band of mixed precipitation headed this way but it's still 42 degrees so won't stick. I'd at least like to see the trees and grass turn white.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there's a big band of mixed precipitation headed this way but it's still 42 degrees so won't stick. I'd at least like to see the trees and grass turn white.

Yeah it's looking less likely for snow. Looks to me the precip will die off before it gets cold enough.

Yeah it's looking less likely for snow. Looks to me the precip will die off before it gets cold enough.

Thank goodness, it is already become unbearable to walk the 3/4 of a mile to class everyday (I hate the cold), but when there is ice or snow, its almost impossible.

Interestingly,over my three years here at the U of A, there has been a direct correlation in timing between my bad grades and cold weather.

Geez Colby, when you left Fayetteville you weren't supposed to take the snow with you. South Texas is having a good snow event going on today. Looks like even Houston could get a couple of inches.

Yeah, I wish! It snowed for a total of 10 minutes here in Temple. Not even a dusting. There was some west of us a few hours and then just to our southeast but we did finally have a freeze last night. Down to 20 here, I was kind of shocked that it got that cold.

Fayetteville has recorded two consecutive nights in the mid teens. Thursday night Drake Field was down to 16 degrees which was the coldest of the season until last night when it dipped to 14 degrees. Could be a mix of precip coming up for this week up there. Still too early to tell if will actually be ice, snow, or just cold rain again.

Never got around to mentioning the snow this morning. Although it was just flurries at times there was also a number of periods of light snow. I was surprised to see it snow for as long as it did as well. Seemed like it snowed quite a bit of the morning. Of course it never really stuck or amounted to anything. But still interesting to see, especially when we weren't really expecting it. Never saw the official high for today but I think it may not have gotten out of the mid 20's unless it happened right after midnight. It was windy but I guess I was under the impression it was going to be a bit windier than that. The high pressure will be moving over us tonight. Really allowing temps to drop. I've seen lows predicted from the low teens all the way to single digits. Then we start working on a warm up. Possibly even getting up to the upper 50's maybe even 60 by the weekend.

9 degrees on my way to work this morning and it seems the fan for the heater in my car may be trying to go out.... It would decide to pick one of the two times of the year I really need it.

Isn't that always how it works? One of my neighbors had their heater at home go out on them. Talk about bad timing.

Just found out that we set a record low with that 9 this morning. Looks like mid teens as a low for Friday morning. Could be a chance for some light freezing rain Saturday morning. Looks like the precip will probably stay south of us but there is that potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Winter officially started this afternoon. But it was hard tot ell today. Got pretty warm for the start of winter. I haven't seen the official high but I'm guessing we hit 60. Looks to stay warmer than usual till Christmas Eve. A cold front will come through and might also bring a little snow. I doubt there will be snow involved but there's a chance of a white Christmas.

Things could change but for now it's looking good for snow. The weather service is now talking about 4-8" for our area Thursday aft/night to Christmas Day. Of course I would be out of town to miss it, possibly the big snowfall for us this season. But then again you never know, watch us get just a few snowflakes out of it. :lol:

Winter Storm Watch issed for NWA. This was a big change from yesterdays predictions. The cold air looks to move in quickly during the day Thursday with rain changing over to snow. The system also looks to move slower and just east of NWA. If this does occur we can expect some decent snows but as usual if the system speeds up or pulls northeastward too soon we can expect less than an inch. Keep your fingers crossed if you want a white Christmas! Hope it happens for you guys!

Winter Storm Watch issed for NWA. This was a big change from yesterdays predictions. The cold air looks to move in quickly during the day Thursday with rain changing over to snow. The system also looks to move slower and just east of NWA. If this does occur we can expect some decent snows but as usual if the system speeds up or pulls northeastward too soon we can expect less than an inch. Keep your fingers crossed if you want a white Christmas! Hope it happens for you guys!

Here I thought I'd wake up this morning and the chances for snow, or the amount, would decrease. But the Natl Weather Service has actually increased the totals. Now they've also shifted the accumulating snow so that this isn't only going to affect NWA. Overall sounds like 4-6" is being used a lot for our area. But I'm also seeing 6-10" for some parts of NWA. Not sure if that means NW Benton County or if that 6-10" possibility might actually extend further down than the usual extreme NW corner. I'm sure many people will enjoy the White Christmas. I just wish it was happening at another time that I was going to be around. It's also going to make my travel plans rather interesting. :)

They did decrease the snowfall amounts last night when I checked but then increased them again early this morning. The Low is forecast to move northeastward just east of our area which normally indicates heavy snow for us this time of year. Winter Storm Warnings are in place for the entire area through tomorrow morning. If this pans out, there could be some very heavy snow tonight along with 40+ mph winds and temps falling into the upper 10s. Very close to Blizzard conditions. Still I'll believe it when I see it.

Cold front finally pushing through Fayetteville. Temps are dropping through the 40s and will continue to fall as the afternoon continues. Snow will begin late this evening and wind speeds should increase as well. Blizzard warnings are posted for all of central Oklahoma and there is a chance that they will be added for eastern Oklahoma and NW Arkansas. Potential to be an impressive winter storm. Wish I was there to see it.

Got back into Fayetteville late yesterday afternoon. Never did really hear officially how much snow NWA got. But I got the impression 2-4" around this area of the state. Still a little snow on the ground. Especially north of the Bobby Hopper Tunnel. But it looks like it wasn't the huge snow event that some predictions had. It looked to me that the low pressure system started heading north instead of heading east. Keeping snow amounts on the lower side. Although for all I know Benton County could have really gotten dumped on. The really heavy snow might not have been too far away. Heard a lot about OKC's 14" of snow and that even Dallas had a White Christmas.

Well radar has been showing sleet/snow overhead for a few hours now. But so far nothing is hitting the ground yet. But as the center of the precip keeps heading our way it should eventually be heavy enough to start hitting the ground. Most predictions have us getting 1-2", or at the very least a dusting. Supposed to be a fluffy wet snow. This snow is unusual because we have a south wind. A snowfall while having southerly winds rarely happens for our area. Southerly winds tend to bring in the moisture from the Gulf, but also tend to warm us up enough so that it's rain or at least something like freezing rain or sleet. Quite a bit of what was left on the ground from before melted today as we finally hit the upper 30's. Sounds like there's a possibility of another snowfall early into the new year.

Some light snow late last night and early this morning. Early in the evening looked like most of the snow had missed us and was hitting north central Ark. Looks like maybe an inch on the ground. Looks like some chances for snow later today as well but I don't think we're expected to pick up much more accumulation.

After a slow start to winter, NWA has now had 3 snows since Christmas Eve. None have been very big unfortunetly. Snow should pretty much be done for the day. More interesting weather comes Wednesday as another system could bring a few more inches of snow along with the coldest temps of the season so far. Highs might struggle to reach the teens by Thursday and Friday with lows close to zero. Still a few days off so we will have to wait a day or two to see just how cold and how much snow comes.

After a slow start to winter, NWA has now had 3 snows since Christmas Eve. None have been very big unfortunately. Snow should pretty much be done for the day. More interesting weather comes Wednesday as another system could bring a few more inches of snow along with the coldest temps of the season so far. Highs might struggle to reach the teens by Thursday and Friday with lows close to zero. Still a few days off so we will have to wait a day or two to see just how cold and how much snow comes.

Yeah, I've started seeing more of those forecasts. You weren't kidding. Looks like after Thursday highs basically in the teens with lows in the single digits the rest of the week.

I thought the snow was over for a few days at least. But looks like we've got another coating of snow early this morning. Hard to tell exactly how much more we got with most of the other snow still out there. But yesterday the roads and sidewalks had melted and now are white again. Roads could be slick. Last night we were getting a mist from the fog and since it was below freezing it was freezing on the roads. First it was mainly Benton County that was affected but the slick roads eventually started popping up in Washington County as well. As Colby mentioned earlier, this is going to be a cold week. Looks like we'll struggle to get out of the teens today. Then we'll have a slight 'warm up' if you can call it that for Tuesday and Wednesday. Looks like Wednesday might get above freezing. But then that really cold air hits us. I've seen one forecast not having us get above freezing all week.

The forecasts for the rest of the week are all over the place. KNWA shows a high of 5 on Friday with a low Saturday morning of -6 while weather.com shows a high of 12 and low of 12 respectively. Some forecasts show several inches of snow while others predict just snow flurries. It will be interesting to see what happens- gonna be very cold regardless.

Archived