NWA Weather

Looks like so far this mornings it's rain mixed with sleet. Don't think temps dropped off as much as expected. But it's sounding like temps will stay steady around the freezing mark. They're still predicting that we could get 1-2" of sleet or snow by the time it's all over.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow that wasn't. We sure missed the bullet on this one.

Yeah looks like it never got any cooler. There was periods of sleet and snow but it never accumulated. Besides some slick bridges and overpasses I don't think there was any problems. Looks like a big warm up is on it's way. I've been seeing 70's predicted by early next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that was some rain earlier. It was like a monsoon there for a while. I'm curious to see where our rain totals will be after that. But things have cleared out now with blue skies. But looks like some cooler temps will stick with us for the rest of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

The record low for tomorrow is 25 degrees and the forecast is for it to get down to 22- wasn't it just two years ago that we had one of these killing late freezes? What the ice storm didn't get the the cold snap may do in. The vegetation around here is taking a beating this year. Hopefully no one put their tomatos out yet............

The record low for tomorrow is 25 degrees and the forecast is for it to get down to 22- wasn't it just two years ago that we had one of these killing late freezes? What the ice storm didn't get the the cold snap may do in. The vegetation around here is taking a beating this year. Hopefully no one put their tomatos out yet............

Yeah so far the mornings haven't been getting quite as cold as predicted. We had a freeze warning out last Friday morning and this morning. But we managed to stay above freezing. But it looks like this coming morning will finally get past freezing. I just learned about dogwood winters and blackberry winters the other day. I'm not sure if that's just a local thing or maybe an Ozark thing. I guess this cold snap is considered a dogwood winter. The dogwoods are out in bloom but the blackberries aren't yet.

Looks like the winds helped out again. Temps didn't drop as much as expected. Looks like area temps are around freezing to upper 20's right now. But it looks like temps will stay up enough to prevent any major damage like the April a couple of years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty wild weather going on in NWA right now. Been some severe storms up in Benton County. I believe I heard reports of 3" size hail stones somewhere in Benton County. Then there's also been a storm with some rotation through north Fayetteville. No reports of a funnel cloud yet. The rain was brief where I lived during that particular storm. But I could look out and see the weird rotation going on to the north of me. I never saw anything that looked like a funnel but I've never in my life seen clouds move like that. Beneath all the high level grey clouds where strange almost wispy looking clouds that were moving about in weird patterns. I had thought about trying to take pictures but I don't think still pictures could capture it. Hopefully nothing bad happened in north Fayetteville.

WOW! Sounds scary! Hope everything is going alright up in NWA and there was only minimal damage....I was planning on watching the Arkansas-LSU baseball game tonight on TV; but I had heard there were tornado sirens were going off in the Fayetteville area + lenghty rain delay...makes baseball(even a big series) not very important.

The game has been postponed as a double-header tommorrow; but there is supposed to be another good chance of rain 80% (more severe not out of the question??)

WOW! Sounds scary! Hope everything is going alright up in NWA and there was only minimal damage....I was planning on watching the Arkansas-LSU baseball game tonight on TV; but I had heard there were tornado sirens were going off in the Fayetteville area + lengthy rain delay...makes baseball(even a big series) not very important.

The game has been postponed as a double-header tomorrow; but there is supposed to be another good chance of rain 80% (more severe not out of the question??)

Doesn't sound like there was much damage. Mainly just some large hail in some areas. That and a lot of rain. But yeah this weekend doesn't look good for trying to play baseball. I'm getting the feeling not all the games are going to get played. I've been seeing 80-90% chances of rain. Temps have been dropped down as well for the weekend. Now it looks like we may not get out of the 50's this weekend.

Yeah, some very impressive rotation in the north Fayetteville storm yesterday. I got on it as it was coming into the mall area and stayed directly below it. It never really looked like it was going to get organized enough to produce a funnel but I stuck with it until it cycled down out towards Goshen. Still it has been quite a while since I have been directly under such a broad area of rotation. I let the RFD catch up with me a couple of times and had winds in the 50-60 mph range for a few minutes. So nothing too damaging. Could have been pretty serious with all of the ruch hour taffic. Reminded me how much I hate chasing in cities.

It feels like we're getting a taste of summer the past couple of days. It's been pretty humid out there. Of course I guess it's not too big of a surprise considering how much rain we've had. Looks like more rain is on the way again for the rest of the week as well.

Some cooler temps this weekend. After the warmer and humid weather we had earlier in the week I certainly enjoyed the cooler temps. One thing I've been meaning to mention. I've been surprised how the trees leafing out has really covered up the damage from the ice storm. Some trees are still rather noticeable, but quite a few trees look fine, just a bit 'trimmed back' that previous.

More storms possible this week. Lots of rain over the southern half of Oklahoma heading towards at least central Arkansas this morning. We might get some of it in the NW corner as well. Cold front to our south is going to lift back northward Tuesday night, then back across the area on Wednesday night giving us a chance of severe storms by then. Still a couple of days out. Warmer and humid on Wednesday as well.

More storms possible this week. Lots of rain over the southern half of Oklahoma heading towards at least central Arkansas this morning. We might get some of it in the NW corner as well. Cold front to our south is going to lift back northward Tuesday night, then back across the area on Wednesday night giving us a chance of severe storms by then. Still a couple of days out. Warmer and humid on Wednesday as well.

I haven't actually seen anything yet. But someone I work with was claiming that we could have some temps near 90 later this week. I'm hoping it doesn't get that warm this soon.

I haven't actually seen anything yet. But someone I work with was claiming that we could have some temps near 90 later this week. I'm hoping it doesn't get that warm this soon.

I would expect some 80s but I don't think that we will hit 90. Hopefully we won't hit 90 until at least June but I would be thrilled if we never got that hot again. Although I am only in the area for another month before the move to Texas where 90 is considered a cool day.

A bit cooler out there this morning than I thought it would be. Low 40's out there. Looks like tomorrow's low has been dropped down a bit as well. For those of us who like cooler weather, you better enjoy it. I've seen pretty strong cold fronts come through as late as the first week or so of June. But it doesn't happen too often. The next day or so could be the last time we see 40's till this fall. What I've really enjoyed is the lower humidity. With all the rain we've had it's been on the humid side for a while now. But summer is on it's way so I'm sure the humidity will be back soon and here to stay.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears our South American tropical rain forest weather is over for awhile. Nice cool air moving in. I have mosquitoes. I've never had mosquitoes before.

Yeah it has been pretty humid lately. Not sure things dried out as much as they were predicting today. But it sure was a lot cooler. Don't think we came anywhere close to our predicted high.

Things have been warming up lately. Had seen some predictions of upper 80's today but that seems to have been pushed back to tomorrow. But overall it hasn't been as humid so it hasn't been too bad. Looks like some cooler temps will come in around the middle of the upcoming week.

Well it did end up hitting the upper 80's yesterday. Looks like another pretty warm day today as well. All the forecasts I'm seeing have us just slightly cooler tomorrow, low to mid 80's. Then a chance of rain and temps dropping mid week.

After some pretty cool mornings now it looks like a bit of a warm up starts. Although temps so far this weekend haven't gotten quite as warm as some predictions. Had been some predictions of it being close to 90 tomorrow and it being the warmest day of the year so far. But today didn't seem too bad.

Pretty odd sunset and rainbow this evening. Things cleared up just a bit as the sun was setting and there was light rain. It provided a pretty colorful sunset and then there was also a rainbow as well to the east. Maybe it was the angle of the sun but you could easily see the whole thing. Seems like a lot of times I can only see a section of the rainbow.

Pretty odd sunset and rainbow this evening. Things cleared up just a bit as the sun was setting and there was light rain. It provided a pretty colorful sunset and then there was also a rainbow as well to the east. Maybe it was the angle of the sun but you could easily see the whole thing. Seems like a lot of times I can only see a section of the rainbow.

I didn't see the rainbow but the sunset was amazing- the whole sky was glowing red. When I first saw it out the window I thought something was on fire. The radar showed a strange looking storm south of Fayetteville- it looked like a huge bow echo like the forecasters say is a sign of rotating wind but it was miles across. There was a lot of lightning down that way but I haven't heard of any wind damage.

Weather certainly has been rather active lately. Still some more chances of rain the next few days before things dry out. But once things dry out temps are expected to go up as well. Looks like we could our first 90's sometime in the upcoming week.

Archived