NWA Weather

Last I had heard today we were just expecting some light flurries with maybe a dusting of snow. But we've ended up with light snow during quite a bit of the day. From what I've seen we've gotten 1-2" and sounds like we could pick up more tonight. I've now seen some forecasts suddenly saying 4-6" is possible. Although I think some of that might be in the general region. But seems like 2-4" could be possible for NWA on top of all the other snow from the previous storm. A slight 'warm up' this weekend before another cold snap next week and some more chances of snow.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much for 3-5" for this snowstorm.

This must be some kind of record. Looks like around 20" in my yard at the moment.

Yeah, looks like a lot of people really blew this forecast. Overall I think they're still waiting for some official measurements. But sounds like some areas of NWA have picked up 2 feet of snow, maybe more. The all time record is around 25-26"for the state. Waiting to see if we break that record.

We ended up with about 18 inches on the north side of Fayetteville but I've seen pics of a lot more around the Cave Springs area- maybe 2 feet over there.

The highest measurement I've heard so far is 22-24" around Gentry. But with a little more time I think more measurements will start coming in.

Well the highest snowfall I've seen so far is 24.5". So looks like we won't be breaking that record. Although we did easily beat the 24 hour snow record. I think all the NWA cities broke their snow records. I think there were some other possible records broken this morning at temps really plummeted. The coldest I've officially heard was -17 at Fayetteville. Although I've heard people mentioning -20 scattered around the area. Heard there were even some records of -26 and -28 not too far west of us in Oklahoma. Hard to believe we could hit 60 this weekend.

• 2 months later...

I picked the wrong time to head out and about today. With all the rain we've been getting I knew some places would be flooded. But it's pretty outrageous out there. Even the hilly sloping roads in Fayetteville are more like roaring rivers. All the water looks like it was actually ripping up pieces of asphalt off of Leverett Ave towards the university. Sounds like all the roads heading southwest of Fayetteville are all closed right now. At least for the moment the heavier rain seems to be letting up. So maybe at least a little of this rain can drain off a bit. But if you're in one of the lower elvation areas of NWA, you're probably in pretty bad shape and it won't be getting any better anytime soon.

Probably already known but the Flyer has a great series of pics of the flooding. Devils Den State Park has a series on their Facebook page that is amazing. The park is closed temporarily because of it.

Flyer

My link

Amazing photos! It's crazy what has happened up there- I can't even imagine it like that. On a related note, my iReport video of the storm that produced the Vilonia tornado coming into Little Rock made CNN's front page today somehow. I don't even know why they need real reporters anymore, haha!

Amazing photos! It's crazy what has happened up there- I can't even imagine it like that. On a related note, my iReport video of the storm that produced the Vilonia tornado coming into Little Rock made CNN's front page today somehow. I don't even know why they need real reporters anymore, haha!

Unfortunately I couldn't find it. All I could find is stuff about what happened in Alabama. And zman thanks for the links to the pics.

Unfortunately I couldn't find it. All I could find is stuff about what happened in Alabama. And zman thanks for the links to the pics.

Yeah, after Alabama got smashed everything switched over to that, which is sensible. Puts it in perspective how lucky we were in AR with that storm system, even with the flooding and tornado damage we did/do have. It's still on the iReport homepage with the "sign down on I-30 in Little Rock" photo of mine in the photo collage, but yesterday morning it went up on the homepage:

cnnfrontpagearrow.jpg

And stayed there until the reports started rolling out of Tuscaloosa and near Birmingham. It was pretty cool that they did that, but it surprised me it made it there compared to some of the other photos or videos out there. Anyway, it's still up here: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-596389

Yeah, after Alabama got smashed everything switched over to that, which is sensible. Puts it in perspective how lucky we were in AR with that storm system, even with the flooding and tornado damage we did/do have. It's still on the iReport homepage with the "sign down on I-30 in Little Rock" photo of mine in the photo collage, but yesterday morning it went up on the homepage:

cnnfrontpagearrow.jpg

And stayed there until the reports started rolling out of Tuscaloosa and near Birmingham. It was pretty cool that they did that, but it surprised me it made it there compared to some of the other photos or videos out there. Anyway, it's still up here: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-596389

That's cool! was that taken with your phone? I think I would have pulled over also.

Some of those videos out of Alabama are stunning-the one where it looks like the tornado is right on him gives me cold chills.

• 2 months later...

Been a pretty wild year in weather so far. Had the big record snow late winter. Then two big rainfall events during the Spring. Now the summer has turned very hot and dry. Seems like summer hit pretty early here. While there have been some record highs so far. Over all the big thing seems to be that there really hasn't been any relief. It's stayed pretty consistently hot pretty much all summer long. Ft Smith in particular has been hit pretty hard. Ft Smith has been at least 100 for about the past month, breaking a record and it doesn't look like that streak is going to stop anytime soon. Looks like there might even be hotter temps next week. If there's been any silver lining is that it's been so hot and dry that over all it's been a dry heat. At least relatively speaking for a typical Arkansas summer. As hot and dry as it's been so far, I've been surprised there hasn't been more problems with fires. But if this keeps up that might start becoming more of a problem. With the way things are going it makes you wonder just what autumn is going to have in store for us.

Been a pretty wild year in weather so far. Had the big record snow late winter. Then two big rainfall events during the Spring. Now the summer has turned very hot and dry. Seems like summer hit pretty early here. While there have been some record highs so far. Over all the big thing seems to be that there really hasn't been any relief. It's stayed pretty consistently hot pretty much all summer long. Ft Smith in particular has been hit pretty hard. Ft Smith has been at least 100 for about the past month, breaking a record and it doesn't look like that streak is going to stop anytime soon. Looks like there might even be hotter temps next week. If there's been any silver lining is that it's been so hot and dry that over all it's been a dry heat. At least relatively speaking for a typical Arkansas summer. As hot and dry as it's been so far, I've been surprised there hasn't been more problems with fires. But if this keeps up that might start becoming more of a problem. With the way things are going it makes you wonder just what autumn is going to have in store for us.

Wild weather year is right! It is hard to belive we hit minus 18 just months ago. It has been dry in that it hasn't rained much but it is still humid- that is what gets me. You are right about Ft. smith- they have really been hot- thank godness for our little bit of altitude compared to them. I am so ready for fall weather!

As hot as it's been it looks like this week will be even worse. While NWA has been under a heat advisory for a while, this week we're moving up to the warning. The one that the Ft Smith metro has been in for quite a while. Looks like temps above 100 all this week. I've even been seeing some predictions of 105/106 by midweek. Good chance of breaking some records this week and seeing some temps we may not have seen in 25-30 years, maybe longer.

Saw a report that Fayetteville hit 110 today, tieing the all time record set in I think 1934. Also saw a forecast for mid 90's late next week- a cold wave!

It was 1954- not 1934.

Yeah noticed that. Looks like a number of cities tied/broke their all time records yesterday. Ft Smith was 115, Little Rock was somewhere around 113/114. Looks like this really extreme heat has started to make it's way into other parts of the state. For quite a while it's mainly affected western Arkansas. I'm trying not to get too excited about the 90's until it actually happens. But what's really sad is when 100 degrees is a bit of a welcome relief compared to what it has been.

• 7 months later...

Wow, it sure was windy out there. Looks like we had gusts around 50 mph today. I didn't always keep up with weather events like this back when I first moved here. But I'd have to think this was one of the windier days I can think of since I've moved here.

• 1 year later...

This has not been active in quite a while but we do have our first significant winter storm (in years) moving in starting tomorrow.  Winter Storm Warnings are in effect starting tomorrow morning and lasting through Friday.  From South to North across the metro you might experience all forms of frozen precip.  Freezing Rain might become a problem the further south you go then transitioning to sleet and finally snow.  This will be a 3 part system ending with light snow early next week.  It will also be very cold for about the next 7-10 days.  Highs will mostly remain below freezing with lows nearing 0 on some mornings.

Drive Safe!!

• 1 month later...

Dang, strmchsr, 2011 was also the horrific year for tornadoes (Tuscaloosa and the great southern outbreak, Joplin and the not quite as extensive but still deadly Oklahoma/midwest outbreak).  Then again, 2010 had a LOT of snow but not as active of a severe season.  Hope this is a "2010" kinda year.

(Footnote: Joplin was too close to (NWA) home, and most of us remember that stormy day.  As for Tuscaloosa and the south, I've never seen skies as menacing looking as they were the day before that event, yet without any warnings or sirens.   My son was a senior at Bentonville High then and I recall him calling me on his cell phone (he waited to get his license until that summer) "Dad, it's OK for you to pick me up now", meaning "The sky's looking bad - PLEASE get me out of this."  We sent all the raw material for that terrible outbreak in April east and southeast, but as I recall that was also when Bella Vista got heavily flooded.)

• 3 months later...

Stunning video footage from Mayflower of yesterdays huge T at Roland/Mayflower/Vilonia/El Paso (that's looking more and more like an EF-4 or worse) has been provided by our own strmchasr, I believe.  I'd say "congratulations" but this is something I know you wish you had no reason to do. 

(A very sobering reminder that this could have happened in Bentonville in March 2006 had that storm struck at 5:00 pm and not 9:00 pm, and it likely will happen in NWA some day.  One cannot sit around worrying, only praying and being prepared.  Prayers for all affected in Central Arkansas.)

Archived